PDA

View Full Version : "mature hairline"?

ilovelonghair
June 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I heard this really weird thing, but I don't believe this can be true. That for many people their hairline recedes half an inch to an inch and and a bit in the temples between the ages of 17 and 30.
I think it's nonsense. I don't know anyone who had this happening to them. You do see it on guys who are in the early stages of starting to become bald. But that is a different thing, that is an ongoing process, not just a 'mature hairline' that stays the same.
I think some people just naturally have a high forehead and some don't.

Ponytale
June 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I have actually developed a small widows peak with age (genetics), but I would say it grew in rather than receded. Interesting.

frizzinator
June 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
The hair at my temples became thinner during the time period you mention.

Dianyla
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I think it's nonsense. I don't know anyone who had this happening to them.
No offense, but... how old are you again? Trust me, you'll see more of this later on.

There are plenty of people (both men and women) whose forehead height stayed mainly the same, but they develop receding at the temples at some point in life.

DecafJane
June 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I am 30, and my hairline hasn't changed a bit - but then, my whole family has thick hair. My mother's hair is still massively thick at 57, and my grandmothers both had good heads of hair on them. I guess it all comes down to genetics.

Siamese
June 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
My hairline started to recede when I reached menopause. I've lost about a quarter inch only in the front over the last 4 years. I have a fringe (bangs) that helps cover both the hairline and my wrinkles.

LifeisAdventure
June 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I've always had super fine / extremely blond hair at my temples, and I'd definitely call it a bit of a gap, but I haven't seen any changes since my teenage years. Maybe the degree to which this phenomenon happens is determined by genetics, diet, or lifestyle(?)

nessthing
June 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, mine already is. I've seen tons of guys my age with M-shaped hairlines.

ETA: and girls...

daydreamer
June 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I haven't really noticed a change in mine (I am 31), but my forehead is high anyway and I also have lighter colored baby hair at the temples to begin with.

Tangles
June 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't mind this because the hair at my temples is super fine and frizzy. I'd be better off without it. Plus I like big foreheads.

Liluri
June 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I can't quote it as I cant find it again but there was a bit about hollywood starlets falsely receding (by plucking or something) their hair lines to make them appear to be older than they were. If I remember correctly it was talking years ago. I have noticed that my hair line is receding but then again I haven't measured it so I'm sure it's been happening unchecked for years ;)

tiny_teesha
June 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
im 20 and i have receding temples. My dad has them and i have always had them but lately i noticed they are worse and i don't think it is traction alopecia.

eadwine
June 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM
35 here now, and nothing has changed for me :)

camara
June 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Interesting topic. When I was a teenager, I had tons of thin, short baby hairs around my hairline. Now they are mostly gone, and I developed a tiny widows peak, too.
I donīt know whether this changed my hairline, though, because I didnīt count all that fuzzy baby hair as genuine scalp hair anyway. I think Iīm better off without it. Much nicer hairline now, IMO. :)

rhosyn_du
June 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I wish. I've got an itty-bitty forehead, and I'd love to have my hairline recede an inch or two, but, alas, it was not meant to be.

lilalong
June 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM
MIne did recede in the past 2 years. I'd say about half an inch. My forehead looks much bigger now.
Recently, I got fine baby hairs growing in again around my hairline. We'll se what happens next.

I'm 27 by the way.

BlndeInDisguise
June 9th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Well, if it's true, I hope that it all happened when I was 17, because I can afford to lose any more hairline! I might as well not have any hair at all if my hairline recedes back any farther. :(

MemSahib
June 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
My husband has that hairline as do each of his two brothers and two sisters. I always considered it the "family hairline" for them instead of an aging thing. My own is slightly thinner at the temples but I can't remember when it wasn't that way.

Gladtobemom
June 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM
My hairline hasn't really moved, but I'm definitely thinner at the temples and the "sideburn" area.

Islandgrrl
June 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I don't really notice a difference. It's entirely possible that I just never paid that much attention, but in pictures it pretty much looks the same. My son (18), however, is definitely experiencing some hairline recession.

Saranne772
June 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I am 18 and not seen anything yet but then its early days and strong hair runs in both sides of the family. One side stays thick and doesnt grey at all until later years (as it 60/70 in women) and the other has premature greyness but still thick heads of hair.

Anje
June 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Might have happened to me... I suspect my hair above my temples is a little thinner than it once was. Moreover, I had this little natural fringe, about 3/8 or 1/2 inch long, at my hairline from when I was 11 (and decided to grow out my bangs) til at least sometime late in highschool. I only realized the other day that I don't have that funny little line of hair across my forehead anymore, and I'm glad it's gone.

renarok
June 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I've always had a high forehead. I think that it is larger now than it was when I was 17, but not as high as when I was about 35. I had excessive hormonal hair loss then that caused a pretty severe loss of hair at the temples. It all came back with time though, happily, when the hormone issues resolved.

Caldonia Sun
June 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Something has changed on me during this last year - I'm 54. It looks like a little thinning and a little recession is going on in the front. I'm chalking it up to menopause.

harley mama
June 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
My hairline has changed over the years. But, not from getting older.
Mine is always health related.

Kirin
June 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I will be turning 40 in August...... most of my friends are around my age (though there are some really young, and some much older). However, if you've never seen this happen to anyone, you might want to check out my friends and me LOL!

I don't know -anyone- where some thinning at the hairline hasn't happened as they aged. Granted on some people it will be barely noticed, on others, fairly pronounced. I am one of them where I can even tell in pictures my hairline isn't where it used to be in the bloom of youth, thats for sure.

ilovelonghair
June 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm 34 and I just checked my old pictures from when I was a teen and nothing changed. Well I got better hair when I got older, but that's all. I have always had some weird spots on the sides of my forehead where my hair is thinner and used to be really worried about that when I was little, but it runs in the family. I have friends and family of all sorts of ages and never ever seen this happening, only in cases where the person was balding, but that is something different. Some people naturally have a bigger forehead.

Deborah
June 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I have always had a high forehead, and still do, but I can't see that it is any higher now (age 55) than it was when I was a teen.

My guess is that it is pretty individual, and depends on your heredity. My Mum's hairline is right where it has always been, and my Dad's is just now beginning to recede a little at the temples. (He is 81.) :flower:

LifeisAdventure
February 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM
So after about a four month absence from my beloved LHC (due to grad school and then a study abroad in India!) I come back and the first thing I thought of was this thread!! Ever since moving out to the midwest for school my hair has completely deteriorated. My hair simply hates hard water (and stress!) and I can't seem to find a good product regimen to keep up with the damage. *cry!* Ok, but that's not the point of this thread...

I noticed, REALLY noticed my hairline in one of my pics from India and it looks... like it's receding! :wail: I don't have a widow's peak and I've always had some thinness at the corners of my forehead, but it looks pretty severe now. (Here's a link to the stress-inducing picture: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40595182&l=fe325&id=2707056) What is this? Can I fix it? I'm terrified this is going to get worse. I've never really liked the way it looked but I wear my hair up pretty much 100% of the time now to try and protect it... could that be exacerbating the problem at my hairline? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

eadwine
February 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I see you have it pulled back quite tightly. You might want to loosen the hairstyle you are wearing on a daily basis.

That said: I personally don't see anything weird with it, the hairline looks fine to me. :)

Katze
February 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Mine was thinner in my 20s but has thickened up since coming to LHC. I've always had a high forehead, but have less of one now for some reason. Maybe I pay more attention to my hair (and less to my skin) but it seems like my temples and hairline are a lot thicker than they ever were. Of course, this could be all the new growth, both from LHC and from pregnancy...

My grandmother went baldish as an old lady but she was always getting perms, wearing rollers, dyeing her hair, etc. My mom says she was extremely rough on everyone's hair, so I bet she somehow traumatized her scalp.

Zindell
February 20th, 2009, 05:19 AM
My temples have always had thinner hair and now at at 41 they seem to be thinning/receding even more.

I always used to wear bangs and that actually made the thinner hair show through more. Especially if I put the rest of the hair up. (Thus making a little gap at my temples between my bangs and hair dragged back. If that makes sense to anyone...)

Now I am letting my bangs grow out and one thing I like about that is that hair "from top" that used to be bangs.. now swept to the sides of my face is completely covering my thinner temples. :-)

ktani
February 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
A dermatologist told me that when I was 16. My mom is 87 and does have a receding hairline. However, she still has a fulll head of hair and is on meds.

My hairline filled in after looking thinner, pre catnip.

It may have filled in from no longer using linden tea for conditioning, that caused me major build-up and may have clogged my pores.

All I do know, is that my hairline now resembles my previous hairline, from when I was younger.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I noticed the front of my hair line receding when I was in my late 30's after having children - I think it's hormonal. I just started using monistat in that area and I notice some baby hairs coming back in. I wear bangs to hide it.

taliarose
February 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'm currently 33 and noticed about mid 20's that my temples were getting thinner. It's finally stabalized but I can see how it's thinned. My hair is so thick that most other people don't notice anything...

rags
February 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I've always had thinner hair at the temples and a widow's peak, it has just gotten more so as I age. I can definetely see a difference now from when I was in my twenties. Most of the people I know my age have at least a bit of the same going on too.

GypsyGoddess
February 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I've had a widow's peak since I was 12. (When my hair started to change texture) Other than that, I have a "normal" hairline, thick curly hair, and some fuzzies along the edges. I wouldn't mind having a bit less forehead and a bit more hair, but I'm getting ready to start Monistat and we'll see if that does the trick.

JamieLeigh
February 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I do know that my widow's peak is more pronounced now than it was in high school...I just thought it was genetics; my mom's entire family have deep widow's peaks. Kinda like Lily Munster. ;)

midnighttrain
February 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I have the opposite issue, more hair is growing on my forehead. I thought at first maybe it was just that I had little hairs there but they grew longer, if I separate them out from my other hair it looks like I have bangs. And there are more little ones growing in under them! Soon I will be a wookie or something.

lillerina
February 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I have had a widow's peak as long as I can remember - it's visible in pictures from when I was maybe four or five, and I've found it's less pronounced now than it was when I was a child.

Still, the ages of 17-30 covers a pretty long time period, which makes it hard to prove either way. It may be a thing that can happen at any age.

EdG
February 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Nowadays, the first thought I have when I look into a mirror is "I want my temple hairs back!" :blueeek:

My temple hairs have grown thinner over the last 10-15 years. It happens.
Ed

Angellen
February 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I suspect I am getting a little of this, too. I can only hope I end up with a smoother hairline--mine is a bit scattered and the babyhairs don't really fit in with the rest. :/