PDA

View Full Version : My hair is horrible! Need some scissors advice?

xxaimsxx
January 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, i'm wondering if you could help me with my hair!! Its horrible. My hair is around 15 & 1/2 inches long, im really trying to grow it long. I cut it myself and i think the scissors im using are doing more damage than good, literally. My ends are damaged which is strange because my hair is so short. The rest of my hair is very healthy and i take great care of it but its just these ends that are damaged. I cut my hair every 3 months on average and i keep getting split ends. I dont dye my hair or straighten or blow dry. Im pretty boring with it so i cant undertsand why it is damaged.
I bought some scissors that were tresemme ones for £4
Im going to buy some online and was wondering which ones are good? Im not cutting layers, just the ends. I want nice healthy ends so i can finally grow my hair!

Thankyou, it would be a great help to me for some advice :)

AZDesertRose
January 22nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I went to a beauty supply shop and bought professional quality shears. I spent about US$30 on my hair scissors (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Eclipse-Cushion-Grip-Silver-Series-Shears/ECLPSE3,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair12) and consider it money well spent, simply because they're specifically for hair (and woe betide anybody who attempts to use my hair scissors on anything but hair). It costs $25 to get my hair cut professionally, so they pay for themselves after a bit. Four quid comes out to about US$6.40, so I think you might be well advised to invest in a better pair if the shears you have are damaging your hair and you want to grow. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :D

Allychan
January 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
A bad cut will definately do more harm than good (take a look at my hair), but I would also look into treating your hair from the inside by adding some "hair food" to your eating plan like pumpkin seeds, eggs, nuts and avocados to name a few. And externally protecting the ends with the ever popular coconut oil.
I have a sharpening stone for my scissors that keeps them really sharp.

julliams
January 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
I did something like this to my hair once. When I had the thinning scissors in my hands and was randomly chopping here and there, I stopped and realised I was making it worse. I made an appointment with my local hairdresser and she fixed it without really taking off much length. I recommend doing something like this and then maybe doing self trimming when your hair is longer and you can bring it easily around the front and be able to see it. Mine is around 29" now and I feel it's only now long enough for me to feel comfortable trimming it. I just haven't had the courage to actually do it yet!!

Just to give you an example, here are some before and after shots of my last trim. Both are airdried. The trimmed hair has cones in it but you can see the difference the cut made to the shape of my hair and the way it just sits better.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4662601489_ec69c555e0.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4663232204_d9a1208e49.jpg