PDA

View Full Version : highly varied hair texture

Toad Squalor
January 22nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Ever since I hit puberty, my hair texture has become two or three different textures all at once. When my hair is long, I have 1a hair on top, a fringe around my face of 2a, and an underside by the nape of my neck of 2c/3a. I cut my hair short due to some major damage in 2009 (two summertime professional dye jobs to give me bright red hair, including highlights-- even with deep conditioning and minimal shampooing, my hair was a wreck), and started growing it back out in September. I've gone from just below chin length to shoulder length in that time, but due to the layers that the last stylist cut into my hair, I have wonky flippy waves in every layer of my hair that gets more severe the closer to the nape of my neck that it gets.

Could it be that I'm more prone to wavy-curly hair, but that the severe fine texture of each strand causes the waviness to get weighed down and straightened as it grows longer? (I have stereotypical Scandinavian fine hair-- you can shine a light through it and it feels like silk strands when it's properly conditioned.)

RocketDog
January 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
My hair is the same, I figure it's just the way my hairs grow. There's nothing I've ever been able to do short of perming to get all my hair to 'do' the same thing.

swivelhop
January 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hey my hair is super-fine, medium, and course. Then its straight in back and the front fringe area grown in 3 spiral coils. Hmmm-hmmm so the hair wants to be complex. :shrug:
The finer stuff does weigh down easy and get straighter the longer it gets. (in my experience)

milagro
January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Very possible. Soft waves and curls tend to get weighed down with length. Mine do that, too.

Avital88
January 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have that too, if i will cut off some inches now and layer it i will be totally curly,but now i have very wurly days and sometimes very straight days.my fringe is always straight the rest usually not.

evampr18
January 23rd, 2011, 01:04 AM
OK , I totally know what you mean. I have curly at the nape and around my ears, then my fringe is a straight but lifted wave(errrr), and the rest of my hair is straight. But this past week, it has been this wavy mess and I can't help but hate it. Maybe when I get to waist it'll look alright. ::crosses fingers::

p.s. the statement about it getting straighter as it gets longer due to the weight, I don't know if its scientifically proven, BUT, it does happen with my hair. FOR SURE.

Toad Squalor
January 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I know my hair will get straighter as it gets longer, but I never spent much time with hair at the "in between" length, and especially never in a layered "in between" length, so I guess I didn't notice it before.

Lilli
January 23rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
This is how my hair is now. It was all 1a as a child, but having my own kids changed it to be 1c/2a at my nape and 1a/b on top. I loved my angled bob, but the constant straightening required to make it look right got to be a PITA, so I am growing it long again. Now that it is below my collarbones, it is already heavy enough to pull the waves out so that if I just comb it while wet, it will be 1b all over.