PDA

View Full Version : Could the Chinese bun be causing my tangling?

sparkle'n'bling
January 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
I injured my hand about 4 weeks ago, and have been doing a Chinese bun every day since then. It was the only bun I could manage neatly and without pain till very recently. For the first few weeks, my hair was fine. Then last week, it suddenly got extremely tangly. At first I blamed the shampoo as it was the first time I had used that particular one. This week when I washed, I clarified, then used my regular shampoo with Ktani's movie star shampoo method (which I've been using since early December, with great results). Once detangled after washing, it stayed tangle-free overnight. Then I Chinese bunned it, and when I took it down last night, the tangles were back. I pull the two strands quite tight when I do this bun. Could that cause tangling due to the hair being pulled against itself?

Or can anyone suggest anything else that could be causing these major tangles that reappear as soon as they are brushed out?

ETA: Today I have thoroughly detangled and done another style to see if that helps.

deko
January 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
^ maybe you should try a bun that doesn't need so much twisting? I found out that chinese bun didn't keep my ends so healthy and I swithed to lazy wrap bun. My ends are happy now and I can keep crowing :D

HTH

enfys
January 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Pulling the hair against itself is the way backcombing works, so yes this could be the cause of your problems.

I tend to do my Chinese buns quite loosely then pin whatever needs it rather than trying to make it secure itself.

If your hand is still bad, maybe try making a one strand Chinese bun. Make the ponytail, put the stick behind then wind your hair behind it? Sort of like Eresh's pinless braided bun. If you can do a Chinese bun you should be able to do that? It would cut out the tightening stage so might help.

I hope your hand recovers soon! :flower:

SwordWomanRiona
January 23rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
My hair is sort of 'tangly' in itself, very fine, but I have not noticed great tangles when I make a Chinese bun, my hair gets more tangled with other updos...But each hair's different, if you feel the Chinese bun is the cause of your tangles,you could make it more loose, like others suggested, or perhaps turn to a braided Chinese bun. If you braid the halves, you'll get less tangles.

sparkle'n'bling
January 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Yesterday after doing a braided cinnamon bun I had fewer tangles, so hopefully they will disappear completely soon.

Thankyou Enfys. :) My hand is nearly better - still a bit tender, but I can use it now.

luxepiggy
January 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Pulling the hair against itself is the way backcombing works, so yes this could be the cause of your problems.

I tend to do my Chinese buns quite loosely then pin whatever needs it rather than trying to make it secure itself.

If your hand is still bad, maybe try making a one strand Chinese bun. Make the ponytail, put the stick behind then wind your hair behind it? Sort of like Eresh's pinless braided bun. If you can do a Chinese bun you should be able to do that? It would cut out the tightening stage so might help.

I hope your hand recovers soon! :flower:

I also suggest the traditional/single strand Chinese bun instead of the two-strand version (^(oo)^)