PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar wash help..

ashleydd2
January 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
So I have been thinking about trying a vinegar wash but I don't want to take the chances of harming my hair. If anyone can help me with ingredients and instructions to a vinegar treatment it'd be greatly appreciated :)

ecologystudent
January 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
From my understanding, it would be pretty hard to damage your hair with a vinegar rinse. All it is, is a weak acid rinse to help close the cuticle and balance your scalp's pH.

I use about a tablespoon in a cup of water, and just pour it over my hair. That's also when I do a bit of a scalp massage but that's just me. Some people rinse that out, some leave it as the last rinse. I'm sure there will be more people chiming in, and also this has been discussed before so you might want to do a search to get more info.

IcarusBride
January 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
I really don't think it will damage your hair unless you pour a bottle of vinegar strait on your hair, and probably not even then.
I only ACV rinse once every other week or so, but here's what I do: I have a small squirt bottle that was originally intended for making shaved ice with flavor syrup on top, I pour some ACV in this bottle (1/10 to 1/4 of the squirt bottle should be full of the ACV, depending how strong you want the solution) then fill the rest of the way with water and shake to mix. I use the whole bottle in the shower, it has a tapered tip so it's perfect for evenly distributing it to the underneath 'layers' as well.

ravenreed
January 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
I use apple cider vinegar with every washing. I dilute is so that it is about 8 parts water to 1 part vinegar. I rinse my hair well after using it because I am not overly fond of the smell. My hair is the happiest it has ever been, as is my scalp.

RadiantNeedle
January 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I dilute 50 mls of ACV with one cup of cool water and one and a half cups of cooled peppermint tea with fresh rosemary sprigs steeped in the tea.

silverjen
January 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I use about a teaspoon of white vinegar in about 20 oz. water, and still get great results. I use it every time I shampoo. From what I've read here, the dilution needed depends on your water quality. I have soft water, so I don't need as much vinegar. I've been doing it for months with no damage at all.

GRU
January 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I use a "splash" (I don't measure, but it's between a teaspoon and a tablespoon) of Apple Cider Vinegar in a 32-ounce plastic cup, then I fill the cup the rest of the way with shower water. I usually rinse it off "halfway" (basically just let some extra water run over my head for a couple seconds, without running my fingers through or anything) before I apply my leave-in conditioner (which is just regular conditioner that I leave in).

I've been doing this for over a year, and my hair and scalp have never been happier!

perkidanman
January 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I use one of those travel sized bottles for shampoo/conditioner. I pretty much just fill it a little bit with a little bit of ACV, warm water (if you fill it with water and let it sit around before you use it prepare for it to be a very cold rinse!) and put a drop of peppermint and rosemary EO to kill that ACV smell and make my scalp tingle.