PDA

View Full Version : My Sister is growing her hair..

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
It is about BSL now and looks pretty BUT, the ends are starting to look dry and she refuses to use conditioner.

She claims that it makes her hair greasy. I claim that the shampoo she uses strips her hair so much that her scalp is over compensating.
I further claim that my mother told her this load of BS about conditioner making her hair greasy when she was little in reality she was just not rinsing it out well.

She really needs to condition her ends. How do I convince her?

Nini
January 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Why don't you suggest a little leave-in for the ends instead then. I don't use condish either as it makes my hair a bit lank and heavy...

beez1717
January 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Have you suggested she look here? That might do her good..... We may have another longhair in the making here...

alwayssmiling
January 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have had success with conditioner first then shampoo. Then a little leave in right on the ends. Maybe she could give this a go and see if it works for her.

Or she could try some of the lighter conditioners that are often minty or with tea tree.

pepperminttea
January 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
If conditioner is too much for her, I'm guessing oils are going to scare her a bit too much - but a conventional leave-in is a great idea.

Marjolein
January 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Perhaps you can get her to try Ktani's movie star Shampoo? You know, the one where you mix shampoo with coconout oil, and nothing else?

Or you could ask her to try a conefree conditioner, as that seems to make quite a difference for many people.

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
I would suggest that she join here but she only has a blackberry no computer or internet at home.

Once she has a computer I will suggest that she join here.
In the mean time I will pass along the advice:)

Thanks!

Phiona
January 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
My sister used to be like that too... Now I have her using the CO method and taking biotin :) maybe soon she will discover the magic of oiling :)

sparkle'n'bling
January 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
She could try Ktani's movie star shampoo.
I have used conditioner only a few times and it always made my hair coated and nasty. I haven't used it for at least 5 years, probably more like 10.

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
My sister used to be like that too... Now I have her using the CO method and taking biotin :) maybe soon she will discover the magic of oiling :)

What is funny is that my mother and sister have both gone to hairdressing school.
But both were of the mindset of so many who push products and haircare advice that does not always work for long hairs.

Even though I had long hair my mother never gave me good advice about how to care for it.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe you can get her to use conditioner on the very ends? Leave-in is a great option or some silicone serum. I'd not start talking about oil and things like that if she doesn't even like conditioner.

Conditioner can be too heavy for some people (oily hair, F hair). When my hair's shorter (SL, APL), I don't need conditioner either, as it makes it flat, heavy, and greasy looking fast. Conditioner is supposed to go on from the ears down, well at WL I really only need to coat the very ends but because it gets poofy quite easily, I found out I do need conditioner but the right kind (lighter, silicone free).

It does depend on her hair type and on what she's comfortable with. I'd get her a lighter kind of conditioner, as was suggested before, or the leave-in, or the serum.

jojo
January 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I find thickish conditioners make my hair look lank but watering them down resolves this problem.

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
oil shampoo made my hair greasy, but conditioners worked well for me. Ask her to condition the last few inches of her hair, she doesn't have to get her whole head and it shouldn't make it greasy looking. :shrug:

RadiantNeedle
January 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Have her try using conditioner from the ears down.

MinderMutsig
January 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Not to insult anyone but it's her hair and if she doesn't want to use conditioner than that's her choice. It's not like she doesn't know about conditioner, she just doesn't like what it does for her hair. That's her prerogative. She's not here to decorate our world.

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Not to insult anyone but it's her hair and if she doesn't want to use conditioner than that's her choice. It's not like she doesn't know about conditioner, she just doesn't like what it does for her hair. That's her prerogative. She's not here to decorate our world.

You are correct... But when she asks my advice I am going to give it.

I still believe she just has not found the correct conditioner nor does she use it correctly.

MinderMutsig
January 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
You are correct... But when she asks my advice I am going to give it.

I still believe she just has not found the correct conditioner nor does she use it correctly. There are many ways to keep your hair clean and cared for. A lot of those do not include conditioner. Water only, sebum only, oil shampoo, shampoo only, baking soda and vinegar rinses, etc. Conditioner just doesn't work for everyone. Maybe she could try one of the other methods if she doesn't want to use conditioner.

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
There are many ways to keep your hair clean and cared for. A lot of those do not include conditioner. Water only, sebum only, oil shampoo, shampoo only, baking soda and vinegar rinses, etc. Conditioner just doesn't work for everyone. Maybe she could try one of the other methods if she doesn't want to use conditioner.

Thanks! I will tell her about those.
I do not think it is that she does not like conditioner I think it is more that she believes it will make her hair greasy but since she has not used it since she was very young I disagree.
I believe she just did not rinse it properly.
Her hair was not greasy when someone else rinsed it.

That all being said I will encourage her to try other options. :)

RadiantNeedle
January 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
I found silicone conditioners to make my hair look and feel greasy, so the switch to cone-free has helped immensely. There are alternatives and if she's up for experimenting she should find something that works for her.

mrs_coffee
January 23rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Does she know about CWC? I never used conditioner on my hair before LHC either for the same reason as your sister. It made my hair look greasy, but I think that was because I was using it on my scalp as well as my hair. I read about CWC here and gave it a try and am amazed at how much softer and more manageable my hair is.

LovinMyLabs
January 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
I found silicone conditioners to make my hair look and feel greasy, so the switch to cone-free has helped immensely. There are alternatives and if she's up for experimenting she should find something that works for her.
Hello...I was *admiring* your gorgeous hair and decided to ask you about your baking soda wash and conditioner you make. Would you share the recipes?

I am having a problem recently with my hair being dry. I normally have wavy/curly hair that is well balanced and I have been doing CO washes for while. For months, I have been cutting the ends off (they are DRY but NOT split). Now, my hair which was down to the middle of my back is now just below my shoulders...yikes!!!! I am beside myself.... =- (

I have pulled all the tricks I know with deep conditioning and it is still DRY!!!???

Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY *appreciated*!

Thank you..............

RadiantNeedle
January 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hello...I was *admiring* your gorgeous hair and decided to ask you about your baking soda wash and conditioner you make. Would you share the recipes?

I am having a problem recently with my hair being dry. I normally have wavy/curly hair that is well balanced and I have been doing CO washes for while. For months, I have been cutting the ends off (they are DRY but NOT split). Now, my hair which was down to the middle of my back is now just below my shoulders...yikes!!!! I am beside myself.... =- (

I have pulled all the tricks I know with deep conditioning and it is still DRY!!!???

Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY *appreciated*!

Thank you..............
Hah, wow, thank you!
I've not used baking soda and CO for a bit over a month, actually! I'm currently CWC with Aldi 5Star conditioner, Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo and TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. This isn't really improving my shedding problem at all, but it's faster and more importantly not aggravating my scalp, which is one of the reasons I started CO in the first place. I believe I'll be alternating with CWC and CO as I try to combat the shedding!

Instead of super-derailing this thread with my baking soda routine details, I made a blog post about it and you can read it here! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=84107) Sorry if it's a bit verbose!

RadiantNeedle
January 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
/hijack
Oh! Also! Have you tried clarifying and not putting more product on? How does your hair feel after that? Does your conditioner contain proteins? Sometimes over-proteined hair can feel super dry and even break a lot. It might not be a simple case of 'need more moisture', but 'need a conditioner with the right ingredients'.
/end hijack

LovinMyLabs
January 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks soooo much for your information and such a *quick* response =- )

I don't know why...but I can not access the link you posted....I have this problem on this site for some reason...?

Thanks again!

RadiantNeedle
January 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks soooo much for your information and such a *quick* response =- )

I don't know why...but I can not access the link you posted....I have this problem on this site for some reason...?

Thanks again!

You're welcome!
And DOH! I know what the problem is! You need a higher post count to be able to see more parts of this forum.
Here's a link to the thread laying out the post count requirement for levels of permission. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1657
So, after 25 quality posts you'll have a lot more access!

LovinMyLabs
January 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
RadiantNeedle....your a doll!

Thanks so much or solving my problem. I have been a member a long time...but always read and didn't post. I will make more posts to reach the quota. Thank you for advising me and removing my frustration! =- )

LovinMyLabs
January 24th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Hey RadiantNeedle--

My hair care routine has gotten less and less complicated over the years. I now wash my hair 1-2 times per week. The *wash* is CO and every other time I use a homemade shampoo. I have tried several "organic" shampoos/conditioners and have experienced terrible results. I do have one organic conditioner that I do use. I am into aromatherapy, so I am experimenting with that stuff for my hair and face. Also, I started to make my deep conditioning oil treatments again, and applying every other week or so.

I put on my hair serum and then dry my hair. I can set it in hot rollers and my hair will keep the curl all week. And that is it. NO hairspray...mousse...gel...or anything.

I am thinking that not taking my vitamins has a lot to do with it...and I still need to figure out the other piece. I have never had such a prolonged - persistent problem!

My hair in general seems okay (not great), but it's always the ENDS. They are sooooo DRY! So, I cut them...now all is well. Then, the next time I am messing with my hair....DRY ends again!!!! And this just keeps going in a vicious cycle. It keeps appearing dry...I keep cutting my hair. Now it seems SHORT...yikes!!

I did and sometimes still do think it could be my scissors (does that sound ridiculous or what?!). Coincidently, I started having these problems after my old scissors broke and I bought a new pair.

The only good news it that the other day I found an old LHC post with a "Leave-in Spray to Defrizz" and although when I was mixing it up I though it would leave my hair greasy.....I was happily surprised, it worked like a charm.

Also, I began making my own "Restorative Hair Serum" which has made a huge difference in my hair...but nothing has completely solved my ENDS problem.....

Thanks for caring......enjoy your week =- )