PDA

View Full Version : My first Chinese bun!

SwordWomanRiona
January 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
This week I finally got a pair of hairsticks, so I have been experimenting with some hairstyles that involve hairsticks. This is my first try at a Chinese bun:
http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p4XCY6fF_UKIR78vyEb0rwW2ZGO5jJv0QJ22fP86eNMu9L4D kbwuWHCci-paG6XZKdmshbbSKH-3elHA5oOvWL3gl8mEGuxOq/100_1924.jpg?psid=1

So - What do you think? Does it look like a Chinese bun? Can I make it better?

Elphie
January 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think you did a fine job! What a pretty color your hair is, too!

Jimothea
January 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
How beautiful; that looks lovely! I'm so jealous--that's the first bun I want to try when my hair gets to a decent length.

CindyLea1
January 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
You did an great job! Your hair looks great.

I love the Chinese bun. If you braid the halves, it looks cool too. Or you can braid a couple of turns then insert the stick to hold it for a ponytail less do. The braid part acts like a ponytail holder.

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Pretty. :D

I think it looks like a chinese bun.

Madora
January 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Very elegant, SwordWomanRiona! I like how your hairstick compliments your beautiful hair color. Nicely done!

McFearless
January 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I love it. Your hair colour is beautiful.

coppercurls
January 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Looks great!:)

Phiona
January 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Very pretty :)

SwordWomanRiona
January 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments!! :o Unfortunately, this is not my natural colour, my hair's henna'ed over medium redish brown :) .

SwordWomanRiona
January 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
You did an great job! Your hair looks great.

I love the Chinese bun. If you braid the halves, it looks cool too. Or you can braid a couple of turns then insert the stick to hold it for a ponytail less do. The braid part acts like a ponytail holder.

Thanks, I will be experimenting with all this when I have time (exams looming upon me...:(). I have already tried brading the halves, I liked it a lot too.

jojo
January 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thats one gorgeous Chinese bun and I too love your colour its so shiny.

I find this bun one of the most comfortable, looks good with braids and rope braids too!

Gumball
January 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I agree with everyone. That's a great Chinese bun! I can't do a regular one worth anything. I always have to start with braids. Nice work! :D

estelwen
January 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
It's looks lovely, Swordwoman! I love the rich color of your hair.

heatherovka
January 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Looks great! I wrap mine a little differently, I need to try it that way too. Good job!

SwordWomanRiona
January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thank you for all your nice, nice comments! Made my day after so many hours working at Theoretical Mechanics :) (still got a load to do, though, drat it...)

Thats one gorgeous Chinese bun and I too love your colour its so shiny.

I find this bun one of the most comfortable, looks good with braids and rope braids too!
I also find it really comfortable, I think I'm becoming addicted to it (wearing one at the moment) :) I love rope braids, I'll give your idea a try, thanks!

Looks great! I wrap mine a little differently, I need to try it that way too. Good job!
How do you wrap yours, heatherovka?

Again, thank you all for your comments!!

Hepzibahbuck
January 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Looks really sleek and smooth. I haven't tried this one yet (...off to find sticks and practise...).

heatherovka
January 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
How do you wrap yours, heatherovka? Well I think you have figure-8 wrapped your length around the stick? I usually split my ponytail in half and wrap around the back of the stick, crossing at the top and the bottom.

DieSushiBitch (Emi) has a youtube tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/7/hUT3KJgASac). (Hopefully I have linked it correctly.) I have only ever tried the first way she shows, I ought to give the variation a try. Not sure if that is what you did but the way you have it looks very pretty.

[Edited to add that I have a photo of my first Chinese bun in my 'Up' album.]

TropicalBreeze
January 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Beautiful!

SwordWomanRiona
January 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Well I think you have figure-8 wrapped your length around the stick? I usually split my ponytail in half and wrap around the back of the stick, crossing at the top and the bottom.

DieSushiBitch (Emi) has a youtube tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/7/hUT3KJgASac). (Hopefully I have linked it correctly.) I have only ever tried the first way she shows, I ought to give the variation a try. Not sure if that is what you did but the way you have it looks very pretty.

[Edited to add that I have a photo of my first Chinese bun in my 'Up' album.]

I followed this tutorial from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnL-0LwHNLs&feature=feedlik
I parted my ponytail, wrapped it once over the stick to hide the rubber band, then wrapped the remaining length around the back of the stick. Now you say it, it does look like a figure eight, but I didn't do that on purpose :D.
I took a look at your link, the first way she describes is the same one I followed, maybe it looks a bit different because I think I wrapped my hair over the hairstick twice (first over, then below, then over, then below) so that the elastic would be totally hidden.

CastaDiva
January 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Very neat and nice bun:) Your hair is really shiny and has a beautiful color too:)

Intransigentia
January 24th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Looks great!

Alvrodul
January 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
An excellent Chinese bun!
The Chinese bun is definitely one of my favorites - easy to do, comfortable, and looks great

SwordWomanRiona
January 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Thank you, CastaDiva, Intransigentia, Alvrodul ! :)

Jessica Trapp
January 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Very pretty!

heatherovka
January 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ok, I watched the tutorial you linked, and that is the same way I do it! Yours looks a lot different from mine... hmmm... how strange.
I like yours better!