PDA

View Full Version : How do do a crown braid?

PrincessTieflin
January 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have been working hard on this one, I can get it pretty well up until my right ear. Maybe its because I am right handed, should I try going left to right instead of right to left?

Also what to do with the "tail" that is left at the top?

been looking at websites with instructions but I am still really confused.:rolleyes:

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I find I can only do crown braids when in front of a mirror, carefully watching where I'm braiding. The tail I just continue to english braid and then pin it down next to my crown braid so it's kind of like a spiral of hair. I'm not sure if thats the "tail" you're talking about though.

I am left handed and I go left to right. TorrinPaige has a video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjLWkfiHvE) you could watch if you haven't already, it's a little different than normal crown braids I believe, but it might work well for you.

PrincessTieflin
January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the reply Anywhere!

yea that is the tail I was talking about :)
Going to watch the video and try again.. If I get it I will post pics :D

LornaDoone
January 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I am right handed and when I do a crown braid, I start as if I were doing a lace headband braid.

(This works if you are doing a lace crown braid; only adding hair to the outside, it you are doing a full crown braid; adding hair to both sides of the braid, you can not part your hair this way.) I part my hair from ear to ear, start braiding above my left ear and lace dutch braid across to the other ear. Then I continue down the right side of my head and across the back. The last section of hair that I add is right behind my left ear. Then I english braid the rest of the hair. I generally have a long tassel left over. I then coil that braid into the center of the crown and pin.

HTH :)

PrincessTieflin
January 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
LornaDoone-- Totally on my way to try the lace way now. :) Hoping it holds.. :)

YOur way made alot of sense to me LOL.. I am having trouble when I come up from the back. Feel like I am braiding upside down :/ and its not as cute and secure as the back and right side

Charlotte:)
January 22nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
This is by far the easiest method I have ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/user/loepsie?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/10/_pUeSza1yfs

It is extremely easy, takes less than ten minutes to do, and you don't even have to hang your head upside-down. I even got it my first try (which is saying something, because I've never been really good at braiding). It is my go-to style when my hair is greasy, and I'm in a bit of a hurry :)

milagro
January 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Lorna gave a very good description.
I've just recently re-learned how to do it and I love it :D I have a couple pics inmy album.
I find it goes better with second or third day hair, not that slippery and holds better. Wetting hands while braiding helps to get tidier look - or you may try braid damp hair (many people do it but it doesn't work for my hair, I get nasty tangles). Also, braid as tight as you can because it will get looser very soon. HTH, post pictures :waving: