PDA

View Full Version : People Obsessed With Straightening Others Hair

Dragon
January 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM
Why does other people seem to be obsessed with straightening other peoples curly hair? Even when it’s not that curly? Does any one else have this problem.

milagro
January 22nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
No. And if even there were I shouldn't be bothered unless they were running after me with flat iron in one hand and straight-perm solution in the other :D

samanthamelinda
January 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
lol they might just have ocd issues is all.

My cousin has long wavy/curly hair and whenever she would ask me to trim her hair, I'd tell her I wanted to straighten it first to make sure I would get it all even.

Xandergrammy
January 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
I had a conversation with a coworker and she was telling me that I should get the Brazilian straightening treatment. She said it cost a lot of money but the results last for months. I looked at her with what must have been a strange expression and said "Why on earth would I want to spend money to straighten my hair? I want it to be curlier!" She never brought it up again. I honestly think some people think everyone wants straight, cookie-cutter hair.

Finoriel
January 22nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
:D No.

But I had quite some people (mostly relatives actually) strongly suggest a perm, hot-steam-roller-thingies or curling irons for me when I was younger. :silly: "She would be so cute if she would have the appropriate curls for a redhead! Why don't you give her a perm?" :shrug: They actually suggested such things to my mom.
So at least "the grass is not greener at the other side of the hairtype" :laugh:

milagro
January 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
But I had quite some people (mostly relatives actually) strongly suggest a perm, hot-steam-roller-thingies or curling irons for me when I was younger. :silly: "She would be so cute if she would have the appropriate curls for a redhead! Why don't you give her a perm?" :shrug: They actually suggested such things to my mom.
So at least "the grass is not greener at the other side of the hairtype" :laugh:

I honestly think some people think everyone wants straight, cookie-cutter hair.
the strangest thing is it might be the same people :D

katha
January 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
I used to have a coworker (who happened to be a hairdresser before she worked at the same place as I did) who tried to get me to use a straightening iron once in a while. I never did, never even owned one. Sometimes I used my blowdryer to straighten my hair and she always complemented me when I did. At least something. :D

enfys
January 22nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
I have had friends who have wanted to straighten my hair just to see what it looked like because they had never seen such long, natural hair straightened. My hair is quite straight anyway but there was a surprising difference. Both times, I had been friends with these girls for over ten years!

I had the same thing happen with a friend and a curling iron.

Those three occasions were isolated incidents. After they saw my straight or curly hair that once they never needed to ask again. I satisfied their curiosity. I wouldn't have made it a regular thing though!

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have a friend who always bothers me that I should straighten my hair. On the rare occasion that I did, she noticed something was different about my hair but couldn't figure it out (my response to her asking what was different after giving up on guessing: oh, gee, i don't know. I've always had straight hair and all. I just curl it every day. :rolleyes:) And a few years back when this same friend asked about me straightening my hair and I did, she didn't compliment it or anything. She also tends to pick up my curls and observe them when I have my back turned, and every time she sees my side framing pieces squiggle she asks "Did you curl your hair its so cute" :ponder:

littlenvy
January 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Why does other people seem to be obsessed with straightening other peoples curly hair? Even when it’s not that curly? Does any one else have this problem.
LOL, I remember the oposite in the 80's when everyone wanted/suggested that EVERYONE perm their hair if it wasn't curly already.
I think some people like certain trans/styles and think that EVERYONE would benefit from looking the same.

And yes, it makes me laugh very hard when people claim that they can make my very straight hair 'straighter'. :rolleyes:

HintOfMint
January 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Nobody encourages me to flat iron my hair. People seem pretty pleased when I have it down and in bun waves/curls.

On a tangent however, sometimes I (mentally) S&D other people's hair. I never make a comment though.

SheaLynne
January 22nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Yes, it has everything to do with what is "in style." Note the 1980s movies with settings from all time periods that have the actresses hair always influenced by the 1980s styles of poofy and curly/permed look. They aren't going for authentic styling but what the audience will think is lovely because of the current styles.

My 6yo dd has 2c/3a curls and never leaves the house without getting compliments or comments on her tb-length hair and curls. At Thanksgiving her older (19 and 21 yo) cousins commented on how pretty her curly hair was, but when my dd stayed the night with them, she came home with straightened hair! I had told dd not to let them flat-iron it (and scared her with stories of the damage it would do LOL), but they used product and drying/brushing to have it styled fairly straight. I don't get it! Maybe it has to do with that they don't know how to fix curly hair because all they have known is straightening?

spidermom
January 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
My hair stylist likes to straighten my hair. Every once in awhile (less than once per year), I allow it. My hair does look gorgeous that way - so sleek and shiny.

pepperminttea
January 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
A friend during high school liked to straighten my hair, at the height of the stick-straight trend. I didn't know how damaging it was at the time, so I didn't mind, and I think she enjoyed doing it; not in a malicious controlling way at all, more like pampering a friend.

hazelnut
January 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have friends at my school who love to come up to me, touch my curly hair, and then tell me that I need to straighten it. This usually happens 3 or 4 times a week. The first few times are like, "okay, yeah, not gonna happen. But thanks for thinking of me." But now it's like,"Shut up and worry about your own hair."

DTsgirl
January 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
My coworkers love my hair. They've been watching me change color, try different updos, all that. A couple of the gals I'm closer to make suggestions all the time about cut, color, texture etc. I kind of take it the same way you'd take a friend suggesting a top when you're out shopping together. They're not saying your current top is bad or ugly; they just think this one is neat too! ;)

funnybunny668
January 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
My coworkers love my hair. They've been watching me change color, try different updos, all that. A couple of the gals I'm closer to make suggestions all the time about cut, color, texture etc. I kind of take it the same way you'd take a friend suggesting a top when you're out shopping together. They're not saying your current top is bad or ugly; they just think this one is neat too! ;)

I like that analogy! I've never thought of it in those terms, but you're right. It's not like they don't like your hair the way it is, just that they think it would be nice another way too.

jujube
January 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Back in high school, all the cool girls (who straightened) somehow managed to get their irons in the poor longhaired guys' hair. One of them had 3b/3c blond hair, and it looked terrible on him.

NotInPortland
January 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
I think they're probably just curious. Like one of my friends has gorgeous curly hair and I'd never dream of telling her to straighten it but sometimes I do get a bit curious as to what she'd look like with straight hair you know? I guess some friends are just a bit more vocal about it :p

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM

I agree with this post.

I went shopping with my daughter the other day and I did suggest outfits for her and her friend.
No one took offense and they even bought most of my suggestions. :)

Rabenstolz
January 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM

Only in malls. Those people at the flat-iron kiosks will badger me even if my hair is already straightened, given the chance, so I avoid eye contact and move quickly past them! I'm thinking, "I already know how to straighten my hair and have no need for you to demonstrate how, let alone right now, in the main aisle of a mall!"

grrlshapedthing
January 23rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
I had a friend who once wanted to curl my hair and then later straighten my hair... I have odd DEFIANT hair it likes to be slightly wavey with a few curls to make someone thing it might want to curl WRONG.

the time we curled it I made her watch my hair for the hour as it slowly fell to be just like my hair always is. we tried straightening it and it did the same thing slowly within two hours my hair was back to being wavy and defiant. she has never said a thing since