PDA

View Full Version : The Split-Prone Club!

monsterna
January 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't know if being split-prone is something some people's hair can actually be or if it's just a hopeful excuse we have for finding so many splits! However, I feel my hair is incredibly split-prone. Some days it's fine and I don't find many during my S&D session. Maybe I'll snip 10 or so. Other days, I'm sat for an hour or more just snipping at at least 100 and probably more. It's even more disheartening when I'm grabbing the same area I have been over each S&D session and finding more and more each time. I know it's the same area, too, since it's my longest section and the one that doesn't make me go cross-eyed! So I'm hoping that the splits I'm finding aren't the splits I snipped a few nights ago.

Decided to start a little club for all of us splitters out there. If you just want to rant or if you'd like to share some methods that help or exacerbate the issue, this is the place for you!

Sadly, I have not done any formal experimenting and note keeping on what is working and what's not, but I have seen lots of split end threads lately and maybe we can all come together to try to help each other with our splitting problem! :cheese:

Vani1902
January 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
I am prone to getting fairy knots (an extra special type of split -_- ). It is so irritating. I have yet to find a way to avoid them. :/
My problem could also be the fact that I love putting my hand in my hair. I just can't help it. I will try to minimize that bad habit. Let's see if that works.

I am open to any suggestions. Help :/

heatherovka
January 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have a lot, and I think I always have. And I have honestly not done much heat styling in the past 4 years or so (none at all for sure in the past year). Sometimes I do try to do my S&D's, but most of the time I just try my best to ignore them.

The splits used to make me think my hair was so damaged I had to trim inches off every month. I did that for years. Then I decided not to trim for a year, and my hair got longer (yay!). I still have splits, but I actually gained some length!

I do think some hair is split-prone. I know I take pretty good care of my hair, but I'm telling you, I have tons of splits and white dots. I just try not to let them bother me anymore. :D I figure that once I get to my goal length, I can trim more often.

leoninnu
January 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah! I'm a split magnet :D It's really irritating when you do extensive S&D and your ends feel perfect, comb slides through no problem... And few days later it's back to where I started. Tangly and splitty (Is that a word? I don't know. Well it is now!) My hair is just a tad too short to do proper protective bun styles. I'm seriously considering making a pouch for my braid tassel but I suppose I wouldn't dare to step outside the house with something like that in my hair...

Bast
January 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
I try to baby my hair, and am always finding splits, usually white dots.

I just chalk it up to being fine-haired, which does tend to be damaged a bit more easily than thicker hair.

HintOfMint
January 21st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Another split magnet checking in!

I can't even wear my hair down without getting splits. They're mostly in my underlayer because that's what gets the friction from my clothes. I'm an S&D fanatic and that helps with the overall condition, but that layer is always going to be uneven because I have to keep hacking away at it. Ah well.

evampr18
January 22nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
I just chalk it up to being fine-haired, which does tend to be damaged a bit more easily than thicker hair.

I have to totally agree, my hair always splits and I never heat it or curl it or do anything except wear it loose or in a braid. :hmm:

Avital88
January 22nd, 2011, 01:49 AM
My hair is so split prone too.. :( i do think mine is because of chemical dyes and heat styling because i always foun more after doing any of them.
I was even thinking about trimmin 2inches to get rid of all the splits,but im a chicken and the last 2inches ar actually the inches that makes it look long.
So s&d every 2 wks and i try not to look so much at my ends and baby it a lot and hopefully they will get less by time and not using dye and heat anymore..