PDA

View Full Version : Braiding for sleep

Messyhair
January 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
I hope someone can shed some light on how to do a night braid for sleeping. I've tried just a plain old braid starting at the nape, but the hair at my nape is always horribly snarled and tangled in the morning! I use a satin pillowcase, so I can only assume it would be worse with a regular pillowcase.

Am I starting the braid too high? Maybe I should start it a little lower, like shoulder or collarbone length? Does it need oils in it or something to prevent the crazy tangles?

Dragon
January 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
I have the same problem if I wear I single braid at the back of my head. I find a single side braid helps with that.

MissCoco
January 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Maybe you could try lightly oiling your hair and then putting it in two normal braids in the front? One braid in the back doesn't work well for me, personally.

Solanil
January 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have quite short layered hair and I find that putting my hair into two french braids (like pigtails) really helps at night. Normal braids that start around ear level or just below on me tend to become very messy and gets pulled out during the night. It's pretty comfortable to sleep in too and still looks relatively neat in the morning.

rhosyn_du
January 21st, 2011, 07:24 PM
When my hair was your length, I did two braids like Solanil. One braid for sleeping didn't work for me until I was somewhere between BSL and waist.

pepperminttea
January 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
I do a single braid at the nape, it doesn't cause much trouble for me, but it might be worth trying something higher, like a bun directly on top of your head - secured in whatever way is most comfortable for you - or a braid started in the same place (lay on your back with your hair coming off the edge of the bed, and start braiding).

Messyhair
January 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ahhhh!!! Two braids makes sense... So does a side braid, exposing less nape. Maybe switching the braid(s) position each night would help to prevent long term wear and tear from rubbing on the bedding, too.

Angela_Rose
January 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
I say go for the two-braids option.

My non-braiding-nights default nowadays is a very high bun, run through with a stick, on the very top of my head.

...but my hair is a fair bit longer than yours, so YMMV.

PrincessTieflin
January 21st, 2011, 09:36 PM
I used to have this problem as well, I tried every sort of braid I Could think of.. then I bought a sleep cap. No tangles at all :)

Before I put the cap on tho I braid on top of my head kinda like a pony tail with out the hair tie at the base

HTH :)

walterSCAN
January 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM
I have the nape-tangles problem when I wear sweatshirts-- depending on how you sleep (back or side, I'm assuming), you might try what I do to cut down on tangles from that.

Basically, I braid about 1/3 of my hair across the back of my neck (if you are really talented, try a lace braid... I'm not quite there yet) and then add that to a side braid on whichever side you don't sleep on.

sugarpixie10988
January 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
I do two braids usually. I can't sleep if I have just one! Sometimes I'll do up to six though, if I want tighter braid waves :D

Tia2010
January 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
I usually just wear my hair loose since it's only about APL right now but when I do wear a braid I do either a side braid or two braids because I sleep on my back and a single braid bothers me.

Messyhair
January 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I tried the two braid option last night and the hair stayed in them for the most part. I was able to sleep, and absolutely no tangles this morning. I thought my hair was tangle-free before, but I was wrong!! This was like combing liquid silk!

I figure the longer I can keep my hair away from my non-satin sheets and blankets, the better for it. When my hair is extra long, will braiding it at night keep it from too much damage from rubbing on the bedding? I always left it loose before, but my ends started thinning out around tailbone length. :( I'm hoping to at least have the option of growing longer this time around.

PeaceLoveHair
January 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think the two braids should help. it separates the hair and gives you that extra "free" space behind your head so you dont feel like your sleeping on something like when you just do one braid. It works for me. =)

Angeletti
January 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
The only way I can braid my hair for bed without going insane is to have the braid start at the very top of my head because then the braid cascades over the pillow and is completely out of the way so I don't accidentally lay on it when I toss and turn throughout the night.