PDA

View Full Version : Travel hair

Messyhair
January 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Any tips on how to wear my hair in the car? If I have a bun in, it hurts my neck to have to rest my bun on the head rest (and probably isn't good for my hair either), so I'm thinking something that brings my hair around to the front...?

Dragon
January 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
I like to do two plats on car trips.

dancingmegs
January 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Two braids? Start them close to your ears so you can lay them in front of your shoulders.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have a dog bone shaped neck pillow. It allows me to lean my head back when wearing a bun. I works best with middle of head to higher placed buns. It doesn't work well with a nape bun. I usually hold the bun with a Ficcare maximas. Otherwise I do a single braid and bring it around to the front. I take a lot of car trips.

Messyhair
January 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
I can't imagine trying to drive with a horseshow pillow around my neck! haha! I can imagine the looks that the passing drivers would give me. :o

I think that double braids are definitely the way to go. I can't wait until my shortest bits have grown out long enough to not fall out of braids. Until then, I'll have messy braids. No surprise there, since I never bother to have a slick style.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM
I can't imagine trying to drive with a horseshow pillow around my neck! haha! I can imagine the looks that the passing drivers would give me. :o

I think that double braids are definitely the way to go. I can't wait until my shortest bits have grown out long enough to not fall out of braids. Until then, I'll have messy braids. No surprise there, since I never bother to have a slick style.I thought you meant how to wear your hair when you were the passenger. And I didn't say horseshoe pillow. I said dog bone shape pillow. There is a difference. I don't use a neck support when I'm driving.

madeline_
January 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
I almost always wear my hair loose and I just tuck it in my top before stepping in the car. When it's up I don't worry about it, my hair is too thin to give me one of those big worrisome buns. :smile:

gizelle
January 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM
I usually go the two braids look also. It makes me look like I'm 12, but oh well. If I don't feel like that one braid or pony tail over the shoulder works too.

jojo
January 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM
I do a side braid

leoninnu
January 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
I find that plain english side braids sometimes start to tug out of the blue so I've been using diagonal french braid that ends just under the ear of which ever side I'm doing it. I also use it when sleeping and it stays in front very well. It doesn't of course look too hot when I just do it for the convenience :rolleyes: It would take a bit more time and practise to make it all neat and pretty if you need to wear it outside the car too.

JuneBride
January 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
pigtail braids? side pony tail? french braid?

UltraBella
January 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I always put my hair in a bun on top of my head. That way all the weight is resting on my head and not pulling on my neck and then it doesn't touch the headrest. I don't like to wear a braid because it isn't as comfortable for me as the bun.

swivelhop
January 21st, 2011, 09:14 PM
The car heater kills my hair so I always do two braids down the back in winter areas, then throw my hat. Vinyl seats don't seem abrasive so I'd rather sit on my hair than have it blow-dried effectively for hours. Warmer places just a bun on top of the head like Ultrabella.

Jen123
January 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
I finally covered my car's headrest with black satin. It really keeps the friction down. I also had to modify how I do my bun. I split my hair in half -- top half of my head like the start of a half up and I bun that. Then I take the bottom half of my hair and pull it up and twist until it starts to curve around the upper bun and then I wrap it around the bun and pin. This way all of my hair is up in a bun, but it does not stick out as far. There is a picture of it in my album.

lundmir
January 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Double braids work great for me, and if I get annoyed with them I pin them up, sort of like a Princess Leia style.

musicallberrii
January 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'd either do a side braid or two braids as well.