PDA

View Full Version : I did it! 1st bun. Now I want toys!

Hepzibahbuck
January 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks to LHC I succeeded in putting my hair up in a bun. For the first time I wore my hair up all day and I didn't get a headache. Thank you so much. I did get a few comments about the feathery hairsticks though!

I now want to collect hair sticks but they do not seem to be readily available where I am in the UK. I did a quick search of the internet for UK sites, but did not find anything very exciting. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can source hairtoys in the UK (apart from Claire's - they have no sticks or forks in my local store)?

LaurelSpring
January 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
There isnt too much in stores around here. I pretty much got all of my stuff online. You could try ebay and etsy. I think those are the best bets. There is also ketylo.

I also started making my own using chopsticks and fingernail polish. That has been fun also. There is also the bent double pointed knitting needle trick. I have a few of those also.

haibane
January 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Congrats! Which bun did you do? :)

Hepzibahbuck
January 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks haibane, I am not sure what it is called because I was trying to do a Chinese bun and realised I had a loop instead. I remembered reading somewhere on the site that the loop could be split, separated and then a stick inserted in one loop and out the other. Don't know if I will be able to repeat it tomorrow though :D

@LaurelSpring - Ebay UK has nothing, and I mean nothing, barring a few hair elastic sets, but I will try Etsy. Thank you for that :)

Hepzibahbuck
January 21st, 2011, 03:59 PM
LaurelSpring - what is the 'bent double pointed knitting needle trick'?!

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Congrats. :D

I'm not in the UK but I am also very fond of etsy. :)

Blandine
January 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
>what is the 'bent double pointed knitting needle trick'?!

Take a double pointed knitting needle and bend it round a door knob into a U-shape, and voilá - you have a simple and plain two-prong hair fork.

Welcome to the world of hair toys!
You may want to have a look at www.dawanda.com, which is an equivalent to Etsy but Europe-based.

clairenewcastle
January 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.folksy.com/shops/Luckypurple is a UK based site where I've bought a lot of hairsticks. I've photos of them in my "Hair" album.

Congratulations on your first bun and good luck with the hair toy search!

pepperminttea
January 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
The main site I use is Etsy, too, apart from buying direct from the maker (ie. Ketylo.com and 60thstreet.net). Just be warned about possible customs cost; I think the general limit is £18, but I have managed to sneak things past that occasionally.

Hepzibahbuck
January 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you guys!

I have spent a few hours lost in these awesome websites. I've bought some hairsticks from both sites (amongst other things :eyebrows:) and a hair fork to experiment with. There's no stopping me now; I am like a woman possessed!

princessp
January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Thank you guys!

I have spent a few hours lost in these awesome websites. I've bought some hairsticks from both sites (amongst other things :eyebrows:) and a hair fork to experiment with. There's no stopping me now; I am like a woman possessed!

Yeah for achieving the bun and hooray for new hairtoys!:cheese: