PDA

View Full Version : My Coney Journey.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
After reading a thread about someone other than myself feeling that if they use cones once they must clarify the next day, I decided, why not get over my "fear of cones" so to speak..
After all, I have lots of coney hair products from my aunt from Christmas.

I'm going to use cones every time I wash until I either run out of product or my hair feels like crap.

It will also let me re-evaluate how my hair reacts to cones.

Anyone else want to try and get over their fear of cones? :eyebrows:

enfys
January 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Nope; I don't have one. I only fear bad things. And spiders.

If you want I can tell you how awesome cones can be until you feel better :D

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't see what there is to hate; cones offer protection, shine and slip!

Whats there to hate; if your hair likes them go with it, there not the enemy!

spidermom
January 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
All things can be good for you in moderation.

But if I'm wrong, maybe your experiment will prove it.

LaurelSpring
January 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
No cones for me thank you.

prosperina
January 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Yup. Cones are wonderful. Nothing to be afraid of. And I almost never clarify. Come on, dive right in! Beware though, your shower'll get slippery.

ellen732
January 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I use to be a cone junky before LHC. My shampoo, conditioner, leave-in and styling products all had cones, talk about build up. Now, I still use them, but I co-wash without them, alternate between a conditioner with them and one without them, use a few drops of olive oil with a leave in that has a small amount of them, and I use a nickel size amount of hair gel that has a cone way at the bottom of the ingredient list. I could never not use them for sure.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
All I remember of my pre LHC CO-with-cones days was limp, greasy hair with dry ends. So I do fear cones. :o

I CO'd with a coney conditioner and put a coney serum on today. My hair is so.. fluffy. But in a frizzy kind of way.I had to use some EVOO to tame it down a bit. So far so good.

fairystar32
January 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am wondering if thats why my hair is slowly going awful..
I stopped cones and all nasties ages and ages ago and now am prone to breakage, splits and fluffy hair.

watching this thread :)

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I am wondering if thats why my hair is slowly going awful..
I stopped cones and all nasties ages and ages ago and now am prone to breakage, splits and fluffy hair.

Come back to the coney side with me and find out. :eyebrows:

I'm hoping the cones don't straighten out my hair...

fairystar32
January 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
:)
We have chemical free in this house, so not sure what to do, will be watching this thread :)
xx

patienceneeded
January 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have been debating going back to cones, but I want to give the shampoo bars and no-cone products a little longer to see if my hair will eventually settle down. I really like the poo-bars, and LOVE the smell of the Aubrey's Organics condish I've been using, but my hair doesn't seem overly happy. My hair without cones seems to alternate between too greasy or not conditioned enough and dry/frizzy/poofy. I've been no-cone for about a month and want to give it another 2-3 weeks to see what happens. I've also noticed that I'm shedding MORE without cones, I think because my hair isn't as slippery so combing out the tangles (finger comb and/or wide tooth comb) pulls out more hair than normal. So, I'm giving the cone-free products a 2-week notice and if nothing changes, I'm going to go back to cones and see if my hair is happier that way. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

carabean
January 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hey...

I use Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner and it is LOADED with cones...(and I used to think it was the Argan oil :o !)

My hair has done great for 4 months of washing every third day and it looked more beautiful than ever. However, I am just getting to a point where my hair is weighed down. I may switch out for a bit and then come back.

Like you, everyone gave me MO shampoo for Christmas and I have enough to last me for at least 6 months. :)

Sinthia
January 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I was actually surprised when I came to this forum and saw how many people dislike cones. I use them, and LOVE it! They make my hair sooooo unbelievably soft!! I am thinking about going cone free and seeing if there is a difference though! Will let you know :)

pepperminttea
January 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I love the slip 'cones give my hair, and I might go back to them when I'm at my goal length, but I'm going to continue to steer clear until then I'm afraid. They dry my ends out to the point of splitting.

prosperina
January 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
About the curl: I haven't lost any. If anything I'm curlier/wavier since my hair is more moisturized.

I really like Herbal Essence's Drama Clean as a clarifying shampoo. I use it about once a month or when I feel I need it.

I use Nightblooming panacea on ends. I also mix cone conditionner with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (cone free).

My absolute favorite cone conditionner is L'oreal Nature's Therapy. It can only be bought at beauty supply stores like Sally's. It comes in a big yellow tub with a green lid. It's got amodimethicone (which I believe is not water soluble, not sure though) so it isn't for everyone.

I need to look up the list of water soluble/not water soluble cones. Because with some of them you're really not going to get anymore build up than you would with certain oils.

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Guh. Not sure if I'm going to be able to do this afterall.

For some reason the scent of the products I'm using stay in my hair. I'm not sure if it's just the products I have or if it is for coney products in general, but ugh. I've had a splitting headache all day from smelling like biolage conditioner and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.

I'm sensitive to strong perfumey smells, they give me bad migranes after a while. I can hardly focus on anything right now. Hair is getting washed again tonight to get rid of the scent.

Any cone users know if this is a characteristic of coney products or is it just the ones I have? (I have pantene detangling spray that I refuse to use, it is also heavily scented. :puke:)

perkidanman
January 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
I used to use a lot of cones but my hair was always super, super frizzy. I had to use a TON of anti-frizz serum just to keep it from afroing.

Now, though, I'm mostly WO, occasionally with a lemon rinse, cone-free deep condition, and maybe a monthly shampoo bar if I get gross (like swim in the resevoir). My hair has no problems staying moisturized with coconut oil and camelia oil. Cones are just not for me.

clairenewcastle
January 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Cones dried out my hair so much it broke at the ends. I subsequently went from waist length hair to shoulder length due to using L'Oreal Keratase products which are laden with cones.

Once I went cone-free the condition of my hair improved dramatically.

bluesnowflake
January 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
I like my cones :) Some hair does, some doesn't. As long as I clarify once a month, my hair behaves much better than the time I tried no-cones. Couldn't detangle worth a darn.

MAO
January 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM
My hair is much happier without 'cones! All the regular coney products weigh down my fine hair and I STILL had frizz and my hair looked really dry. Now my hair is happy with just a little bit of EVOO on the ends as product, and my hair is much fluffier and shiny now.

aenflex
January 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Love me some cones! Not in my poo but in my condish and leave-in, best believe there are cones :)

clairenewcastle
January 21st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Couldn't detangle worth a darn.

I'd the same problem when I first gave up cones. The tangles were hell. Oiling my ends was the only thing that kept me sane for my hair was misbehaving badly without their cones.

However, over time, a combination of no cones, oil and the eventual discovery of catnip rinses have improved the quality of my hair dramatically.

madeline_
January 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with cones. When I first joined here I got sucked in the cones-are-bad and CO-washing and I washed for months with cone-free conditioners that must have had some sort of other coating agents in them because I lost a lòt of hair that summer. Of course I never clarified, I have never even seen a clarifying shampoo in real life. It had me running back to SLS and cones very quickly, and I regained some thickness since.

So back to the love-hate thing. I love cones on day 1, freshly blowdried and looking sleek. And I hate them on day 2 and 3, because all that buildup goes dull and tangles like crazy and has me reaching for the comb every half hour. So I'm giving the Movie Star Shampoo a shot now, hoping to get rid of the tangles and all that expensive conditioner. But I'm still going to miss that lovely coney feeling...

Ravenwaves 88
January 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
I went cone free for almost a year and tried to do more natural techniques like WO. My hair has been hard to finger comb without cones in the shower. I have been washing with cones again for the past few washes. I love the ease in which I can brush, comb, fingercomb my hair now but it's super static-filled. I don't know if it's the winter or just the cones. I think I may clarify and wash without cones again to get a better sense of the difference.

I'll let you guys know.

Nae
January 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM
Cones for me are a situational item. Does that make sense? No? Okay, well, let me explain.

When I wear my hair down I love them. They make my hair pretty and shiney and soft. My hair also looks just fine without cones, using oil and leave in conditioner it stays really happy and nice. There is no huge difference in the look of my hair but cones make it super slippy. So when I put one of my lovely hairtoys to get my hair out of my way, it ever so slowly slides out. Every. Dang. Time. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I cannot use cones and use my myriad of hair toys. Which makes me all sorts of sad, because I love my hairtoys with an undying love that may border on insanity!! So here is my cone formula:

Down + Cones = Happy
Up + Cones = Sad

Since I mostly wear my hair up...........I have to be cone free.

jojo
January 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
All I remember of my pre LHC CO-with-cones days was limp, greasy hair with dry ends. So I do fear cones. :o

I CO'd with a coney conditioner and put a coney serum on today. My hair is so.. fluffy. But in a frizzy kind of way.I had to use some EVOO to tame it down a bit. So far so good.

you could always use coneless on roots and cones on the ends; a bit of a compromise.

Or try a lighter cone conditioner, heavy conditioners make my hair limp, so i water them down because im cheap like that :D

Darkhorse1
January 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM
Cones are not the anti-christ ;)

To me, I think we get so inninondated with information here, people suddenly think cones are bad.

Here's a good way to figure things out for yourself:
Does it work? Do I like the results? Then use it. If it doesn't work, makes your hair unmanagable/icky, then don't. Simple rules to follow :D

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
Guh. Nobody's told me if the lingering scent is a cone-specific thing or not.

I had to clarify my hair yesterday because of the headaches. Not going to continue with cones until I figure out if it's only the items I have or cones in general that keep the scent in my hair.

Loreley
January 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
I tried cones again after one year of being cone-free in the summer. My hair hated it. I tried several different coney conditioners but all of them made my hair fluffy, tangly and I had a lot of fairy knots. My ends were dry. It's a lot better for me to use an oily cone-free conditioner (GF Triple Nutrition for example) and oil my hair after washing. Oiling+cones just doesn't work.

HintOfMint
January 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM

I had to clarify my hair yesterday because of the headaches. Not going to continue with cones until I figure out if it's only the items I have or cones in general that keep the scent in my hair.

There are many cone free conditioners that are heavily scented and the scent lasts. V05 and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition come to mind. In terms of scent lingering, I don't think I've noticed a difference between coney and cone free conditioners.

Anywhere
January 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
There are many cone free conditioners that are heavily scented and the scent lasts. V05 and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition come to mind. In terms of scent lingering, I don't think I've noticed a difference between coney and cone free conditioners.

That's interesting, I find that the scent doesn't last for me for GF Triple Nutrition. :bigeyes:
It's usually gone by the time my hair dries and it's more of a light smell to me. Funny how different everyone's noses are.

Bianca
January 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I recently started using both shampoo and cones again. My hair was fine with CO and no cones when dyed, but now thats its virgin, it goes limp and greasy really quickly :)

virgo75
January 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Cones are not the anti-christ ;)

To me, I think we get so inninondated with information here, people suddenly think cones are bad.

Here's a good way to figure things out for yourself:
Does it work? Do I like the results? Then use it. If it doesn't work, makes your hair unmanagable/icky, then don't. Simple rules to follow :D

2nd this.

My hair likes some coney conditioners and likes some non-cone conditioners as well. It just depends on the formulation I guess. :shrug:

Again, I think it depends on the formulation.

Some of the strongest, longest lasting scents I've encountered in conditioners were ones without cones: Nature's Gate Herbal, Everyday Shea Lavender, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, and Yes to Carrots(new one w/out cones) are all the strongest scented conditioners I've ever used. The scents will actually last on my hair through multiple shampoos(especially the Nature's Gate Herbal).

Some coney conditioners are super fragranced as well like Herbal Essences.

For me the difference is that most coney (drugstore) conditioners have more artificial scents and the more natural non-cone ones are trying to mimic more natural scents. Except for the Yes to Carrots which is like a vat of baby powder exploded on my head. :lol:

Mutinous
January 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
I use cone free shampoos and conditioners and a coney leave-in, so I feel I have the best of both worlds really. Never noticed anything about the smells lingering either.

Hile
January 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
On Thursday I tried a coney conditioner for the first time in a year and I, too, was quite scared about doing it because of the build up had when I last used cones. To my surprise there didn’t seem to be much of a difference in my hair on Thursday but now I think it feels a little greasier and less tangly than usual. I’m not brave enough to try to use cones every wash but I think I’ll continue experimenting with them once a month and see how it goes.

I’m sure you can find a silicone conditioner that isn’t too fragranced, if you still want to continue with your experiment. The conditioner I used doesn’t have a strong smell at all (the only smell I could notice after I washed my hair was the silicone-free conditioner I used for my co-wash).

Ravenwaves 88
January 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I think I've found a good trick for me. I did a ACV rinse before I washed with no cones. My hair is super soft and it's not uber staic cling like my past few washes with cones.......I may stick with this for abit.

misslicorice
January 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Good luck on your journey! :D I'm not afraid of cones, really. They've just never delivered all of the results they promised me. I just tossed out the last coney product I owned - a spray gel. It turns out that diluted lemon juice works just as well for controlling my frizz.
Sometimes, though, I worry that I should be using cones, even if my hair is indifferent to them. I use heat styling... maybe the cones are necessary for protection. What does everyone else think? Do any cone-free LHCers use heat styling?

Regan
January 23rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
cones only really do well with my hair for the first wash or so. then it just gets nasty.
plus, coney shampoos give me acne. maybe it's not the cones, per se, but it is something in those shampoos.