PDA

View Full Version : Going cross eyed doing S&D, tips?

StressedTresses
January 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm seriously going cross eyed trying to S&D! My hair is just below shoulder length (sorry I can't remember all of the abbreviations yet!)

Any good methods for working with hair my length?

Do you all have fancy hair scissors you're using? Am I going to do more damage just using regular scissors?

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Do NOT use regular scissors! You will make it worse. Regular scissors are not sharp enough to cut hair with. You'll cause worse splits using regular scissors because they don't cleanly cut hairs, they sort of crush/mangle them. Get some hair shears before you do any more S&D:)

I'm seriously going cross eyed trying to S&D! My hair is just below shoulder length (sorry I can't remember all of the abbreviations yet!)

Do you all have fancy hair scissors you're using? Am I going to do more damage just using regular scissors?

Druida
January 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Not sure how to help with your cross-eyed problem, sorry! How close are you holding your hair to your eyes?

As far as the scissors go, I think regular ones can be fine as long as they are sharp enough. :) Be sure to cut perpendicular instead of at an angle so the end stays blunt.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I can only s&d for a small while, in bright lighting. Anything else or for long periods of time gives me headaches. You should be using hair scissors, not paper or kitchen or any other kind of scissors.

I don't have any other advice than to only do it for a small period of time.

LaurelSpring
January 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I absolutely could not do S&D at shorter lengths. You are right, it felt impossible and made me cross eyed. Now that its longer I could accompish it for short time frames, but it makes me nuts to try it so I rarely ever do it.

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Do you have a SO that you could trust to do it for you?

spidermom
January 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Do you get regular small trims? If so - no need for S&D. The splits on shorter hairs will eventually be at the bottom and get trimmed off.

Since I'm not trimming, I do S&D. I find it easiest on braids. I put the end of my braid between my eyes and a strong light, dark background, and just snip off the splits I see poking out.

pepperminttea
January 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It is a lot harder at shorter lengths; it'll be a bit easier when you've more length. That said, I still only do it for short periods, less eye-strain that way. :)

As for scissors, as others have mentioned, you really do need proper scissors, otherwise you run the risk of creating as many splits as you trim off. They don't have to be expensive though; I got mine on eBay quite reasonably, and I think many US users have the ones Sally's sell. The important thing is not to use them for anything else except hair, that way they'll stay sharp for as long as possible.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I don't S&D for the very same reason; I prefer to dust but as I am on a no trim until Novemeber, that isnt an option.

phylsgyrl
January 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I hold up small sections against a warm light and I use really sharp hair scissors.

julya
January 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I don't do S&D anymore. I don't think that it makes much difference for my hair. So, if S&D is driving you crazy, take a break from doing it for a while and see how it effects your hair.

Freki
January 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I find natural light is the best. I'll sit by a window with some nice bright light coming in and it really illuminates those split ends.

GuardGirl
January 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I make a point to section my hair off and do a very thorough S&D on only one section a day, making sure that within 4-5 days I've done my whole head. It takes less time at each sitting (and being a single mother my free time is in short supply!) and allows me to keep from being overwhelmed by trying to do my entire head at once. :)