PDA

View Full Version : When to re-dye?

BritishBraider
January 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I dyed my hair (chemically) a week ago with a new brand and it turned out more dark than I'd like.

I'd like to re-dye it with my usual shade, how long should I wait? I know it's not brilliant for hair to chemically re-dye it, generally I only do mine every 3/4 months or so, any tips to minimise damage?

Loviatar
January 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Check out ktani's 'use coconut oil to minimise dye damage' thread/article. It's excellent and it works.

I'd do some heavy oilings and wash it out with something like Vosene to pull the dark colour first, or use colorfix (from Sally's if you're near a Sally's.)

When I was chemical dyeing I'd do my roots every 8 weeks.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
You could just wait and wash it and see if it fades to a more pleasing color? Otherwise I would suggest trying to get some of the color out before re-dyeing it.

I feel if you use a product that will remove/lighten your hair you may end up with different results when you use your normal dye. (This is of course only if the product in question lightens your hair past the shade it usually is before you dye it.) I'm sure you know but just as a friendly reminder, the same color dye can look different depending on the starting shade.

ellen732
January 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately color doesn't remove color, so you can't use a lighter permanent color to remove a darker one.