PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I hope this isn't a taboo question to ask or anything, but does anyone know who here at LHC has the longest hair? The reason I ask is that I was just looking at the Book of World Records - Longest hair record (18.5 Feet?!?). Then I got curious if anyone here had hair that actually drags the floor or if anyone here has ever entertained the idea of trying for the crazy WR length? I cannot imaging caring for hair that long, or even how you'd keep it brushed and washed!

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair the maximum hair length that it's possible for adults to reach is 100cm, or something like 39 inches if I converted that correctly. That's kind of depressing because I'm not too far from 39 (7 inches or so) and I was hoping for more than that!

heidihug
January 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
the maximum hair length that it's possible for adults to reach is 100cm, or something like 39 inches
I guess I'm impossible then. Or I don't exist, or something. Heh.

There are a few people around here with ankle-length, perhaps. Not sure who they are, offhand. But I know that 40"+ is relatively common in these parts.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wiki contradicts itself..
It is true that most people have a terminal length around classic length, but thats not to say that "the maximum length possible" is 100 cm.

But right after saying "the maximum length possible" it says that "Some individuals can reach excessive lengths. Lengths greater than 150 cm are frequently observed in long hair contests"

Frequently passing the maximum possible length?
Oh wiki. How I love you. :rolleyes:

Igor
January 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Its not taboo to ask.

Then I got curious if anyone here had hair that actually drags the floor or if anyone here has ever entertained the idea of trying for the crazy WR length?
That is not very kind, now is it? World record is “crazy” but 52 inches is normal?

I cannot imaging caring for hair that long, or even how you'd keep it brushed and washed!
Have you read the “dumbest hair comment” thread? It has a lot of statements like that. Also about waist length like you have.

According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair the maximum hair length that it's possible for adults to reach is 100cm, or something like 39 inches if I converted that correctly. That's kind of depressing because I'm not too far from 39 (7 inches or so) and I was hoping for more than that!
I don’t understand why you take wikipedias word for it. Especially not when you’re on a hair forum like this. Shouldn’t the sheer number of long length we have here make you realise Wikipedia is wrong?

Under articles, there is a post on estimating your terminal length if you decide to estimate it for real instead of trusting one of those “Everyone knows that!” infos

haibane
January 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Wikipedia didn't make that up, it's sourced to a book (the book is actually slightly worse, it says 90cm.) link (http://books.google.com/books?id=-UTEKeEypjEC&pg=PA11&dq=%22human+scalp+hair+and+age%22&hl=sv&ei=dk51TOG-NIaMOOH0hNQG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22human%20scalp%20hair%20and%20age%22&f=false)(scroll down a bit)
It's just where "conventional wisdom" is right now, though from looking at LHC it just doesn't make sense.

leoninnu
January 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Wiki contradicts itself..
It is true that most people have a terminal length around classic length, but thats not to say that "the maximum length possible" is 100 cm.

But right after saying "the maximum length possible" it says that "Some individuals can reach excessive lengths. Lengths greater than 150 cm are frequently observed in long hair contests"

Frequently passing the maximum possible length?
Oh wiki. How I love you. :rolleyes:

Well if my eyes don't lie it actually says "generally" before the "100 cm for adults" so it's not really a contradiction.

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Perhaps they are referring to people who make no attempt to protect their hair, that 100cm is generally terminal length in that sort of situation?

Aeltt
January 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Well.. i think 100cm is a made-up length based on wrong parameters. ^^
I mean everybody has a different growth rate and all, and then everything can change when there's an hormonal thing or whatever... You CANNOT have something accurate even if the calculus is (theoretically) right.
But anyway.... I'm like 1m50 : 100 cm is close to knee length on me so... i wouldn't mind having this terminal length :D

Back to the topic : the longest hair i saw here was calf length [or ankle length ? Bad memory.] .. Don't know if there are floor length people. (I'd like to see that !)

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Well if my eyes don't lie it actually says "generally" before the "100 cm for adults" so it's not really a contradiction.

Thank you for catching that. I missed it. :flower: But in my head generally means usually, and frequently means occurring often, which would mean its less than general for hair to only grow that long. The words are very similar in my head. :shrug:

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
"Generally", to me, in this instance means in the majority of cases...which is pretty broad! Especially considering all the really long haired folks here!

Thank you for catching that. I missed it. :flower: But in my head generally means usually, and frequently means occurring often, which would mean its less than general for hair to only grow that long. The words are very similar in my head. :shrug:

leoninnu
January 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM

But as long as generally doesn't mean always it's all good :)

But that's funny actually. Me being a non-native english speaker (or writer in this case) I of course translate everything in my head. "Generally" would translate to a word that would also roughly mean "wide spread" or "common" where as "frequently" would translate to something like "very often". So I actually interpret those meanings just the other way around. Language is weird :p

dropinthebucket
January 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Plus Wikipedia is written by users, not experts. I find the video game material to be thorough and correct LOL - but they do have a lot of misinformation. There are numerous mistakes in their summaries of novels where they have character names wrong, plot details wrong, authors wrong - you name it.

marzipanthecat
January 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Get happy! I've got hair longer than that, so that's a WikiWrong.

rhosyn_du
January 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I think "generally" in this case applies to humans as a species, and the "frequently" refers to the people taking part in hair competitions. At least, that's how it reads to me.

enfys
January 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think this came up before, and it was mentioned that trying to guess who had the longest hair could seem a bit competitive or something.

I haven't seen a member here who has hair that would drag on the floor, but I've also never seen a member saying they have that as a long term goal.

Also, not everyone puts their details or their photos on, or posts/visits daily.

I doubt anyone knows who has the longest hair here, even the wearer of it ;)

princessp
January 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I think this came up before, and it was mentioned that trying to guess who had the longest hair could seem a bit competitive or something.

Yeah this is what I figured too. I imagine we do have those very long lengths on here, but I am sure they have to protect themselves (identity) more. These lengths are generally not as conventional as shorter lengths so perhaps they even face some discrimination or just plain get a lot of odd comments for their lengths. I image they get barraged with questions "how did you grow so long?" "what are your secrets?", I'd probably tire of the questions. Also people are different heights so while the numbers might say one thing the actual appearance of length might translate as something else. Then you have the issue of hair typing so for instance how do we measure curly hair etc. Seems like a rabbit hole, and likely best we don't keep track of these things.

I think it is very safe to say that as a whole LHC numbers and Wiki's don't quite jive though. But as people have already mentioned Wiki is not really a good source for getting 100% reliable information anyway.

ETA: Oh forgot to add I think you'll grow longer than wiki's number-- Happy growing!

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Get happy! I've got hair longer than that, so that's a WikiWrong.

Hey! I have a cat named Marzipan! ;)

spidermom
January 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I personally met a tall LCH member who had hair down to her feet. She keeps it trimmed there so that she doesn't walk on it - at least that's how I remember it.

My hair is getting to a length where I wonder whether or not I can take care of it when it gets much longer. I'll have to wait and see.

To tell you the truth, I've seen no limit of people who join LHC with a goal of terminal length (as long as hair can possibly grow for that individual), but they grow for a few months, then decide they need to henna it or dye it, then bleach it out, then have to cut off the bleach damage, etc, etc, or just plain get tired of the whole long hair hassle and go get a stylish hair cut, which either does or does not make them happy. So really, all you can do is hang in there and grow it. Time will tell how long you can tolerate it. So far I've been growing for 10 years; no immediate plans to do anything else.

Cirafly24
January 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I know of one LHC member who has had floor length hair, but it seems that she trims it to her ankles each year. That's the longest I have personally seen on here.

I don't think I would grow my hair to the floor, even if I could. If it turns out that I am able to grow to fantastic lengths, I'll probably stop at about knee. But that's a long way in the future, if it's even possible for me!

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I think knee would be about as long as I'd go as well, though I'm not sure I can even obtain that length.

I know of one LHC member who has had floor length hair, but it seems that she trims it to her ankles each year. That's the longest I have personally seen on here.

I don't think I would grow my hair to the floor, even if I could. If it turns out that I am able to grow to fantastic lengths, I'll probably stop at about knee. But that's a long way in the future, if it's even possible for me!

Kherome
January 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
When I was young my mother kept my hair at what LHC would call classic length. I remember how hard that was to take care of, but then again I was 10. Maybe it won't be so bad as an adult if I am able to get there.

I have been growing my hair since 1998. I've been a pretty heavy trimmer though, like an inch every three months. Except that one time the horrible stylist chopped off 3.5 inches when I asked for an inch. I'm trying to cut back on trims to get more length now. I've even toyed with no trims all year, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe I'll shoot for none til July. At any rate I don't color/bleach/straighten/curl, I just wash and put it up.

I personally met a tall LCH member who had hair down to her feet. She keeps it trimmed there so that she doesn't walk on it - at least that's how I remember it.

My hair is getting to a length where I wonder whether or not I can take care of it when it gets much longer. I'll have to wait and see.

To tell you the truth, I've seen no limit of people who join LHC with a goal of terminal length (as long as hair can possibly grow for that individual), but they grow for a few months, then decide they need to henna it or dye it, then bleach it out, then have to cut off the bleach damage, etc, etc, or just plain get tired of the whole long hair hassle and go get a stylish hair cut, which either does or does not make them happy. So really, all you can do is hang in there and grow it. Time will tell how long you can tolerate it. So far I've been growing for 10 years; no immediate plans to do anything else.

rose.grace
January 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I have heard, and I'm not sure if it's accurate or an old wives' tale, so please don't say I'm stating it as fact, but... to obtain hair lengths like Crystal Gayle (who has a foot cut off every year--like the women mentioned in the other posts-- to keep it from dragging the floor), one has to begin at birth or babyhood or very young childhood without ever cutting it. This man called it "self-sustaining." He said that the longer your hair is long, the longer it'll grow because it's like a muscle... the follicle gets used to more and more weight and the hair is stronger because of it and it grows faster so it reaches those lengths before it's life cycle is over. Diane Witt said her daughter braids it for her every day. I read this a long time ago at the Long Hair Site that has been closed for 8 years now. I loved that place. I would go and spend hours looking at the "extra long length" pictures.

squiggyflop
February 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I have heard, and I'm not sure if it's accurate or an old wives' tale, so please don't say I'm stating it as fact, but... to obtain hair lengths like Crystal Gayle (who has a foot cut off every year--like the women mentioned in the other posts-- to keep it from dragging the floor), one has to begin at birth or babyhood or very young childhood without ever cutting it. This man called it "self-sustaining." He said that the longer your hair is long, the longer it'll grow because it's like a muscle... the follicle gets used to more and more weight and the hair is stronger because of it and it grows faster so it reaches those lengths before it's life cycle is over. Diane Witt said her daughter braids it for her every day. I read this a long time ago at the Long Hair Site that has been closed for 8 years now. I loved that place. I would go and spend hours looking at the "extra long length" pictures.
nope.. wives tale.. lots of floor length ladies started growing in their 20s or even 30s.. no need to begin at birth..

it comes down usually to genetics and diet.. for instance my genetic maximum on hair growth speed is 3 inches per month.. yes 3 inches a month.. in order for me to get 3 inches a month i need to be completely stressfree and have a really good diet with lots of vitamins.. its how i was able to go from shoulder to bsl in less than 3 months when i first joined LHC.. got to waist from shoulder (with more than 6 inches of trimming) in 6 months.. then stress of college set in and i stopped with the whole eating good things thing.. and stopped taking vitamins..

so yeah genetics and diet.. and general health and stress..

lots of factors.. so yeah its an old wives tale, but an entertaining one to say the least.. i love how some of the old wives tales claim the follicle knows whats going on at the end.. heehee as if there were tiny little brains in there.. actually that would be pretty cool if there were tiny little brains in the follicles.. think about it.. itty bitty brains, im sure my hair would try to take over the world

wendy51
February 6th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Ok the question is: Who has the longest hair?

jaine
February 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
If anyone is still worried about the wording of that wikipedia article, all you have to do is click that little "edit" link and change it.

chopandchange
February 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Squiggy, you're so funny! ( I mean, the brains in your hair, hee hee)!

scorpio_rising
February 6th, 2011, 05:11 PM
There most assuredly are "little brains" in our hair follicles. They're called nerves.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9703.htm

slz
February 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I'm kind of closer to ankle than mid calf now I think, and I'm 100% sure there are at least 5 members with longer hair here, and I do not feel like a freak nor feel hassled in everyday life by questions and whatnot (since I do not wear it loose anymore or very occasionnaly), and neither do I feel the need to hide or protect my identity here more than if I were bald or what :p. I feel like a normal LHC member, nor singled out nor nothing, and same goes IRL - I'm not an animal ! I'm a human being *john merrick voice* :D.

squiggyflop
February 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
There most assuredly are "little brains" in our hair follicles. They're called nerves.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9703.htm
and so my hair really WILL take over the world mwahahaa! :demon:

the only problem is that there are different kinds of receptors, if im remembering my biology right.. and so my little brains in my hairs can generally just sense pain and hot and cold, as apposed to them really being able to talk to each other and decide how to go about taking over the world.. bummer, yet another year of not being queen of the world..

lol..

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I don't get how this could be competitive. I mean whoever has the longest hair has the longest hair, thats all. Doesn't make this person better or worse than the rest of us.

I was curious to see the longest hair on here but oh well.

zaftig2k
March 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM

I've had hair in the 40-43" range now for over 4 years. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially Wiki.