PDA

View Full Version : Would this routine be damaging for my hair?

Pandora.
January 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
After washing, my hair can get sooooo poofy and thick-feeling when I air-dry and leave my hair be. But when I spray my heat protectant, blow-dry and straighten it, ALL volume is lost, and my hair feels unbelievably flat and limp. Almost like entirely different hair. Lol.

I feel my hair only looks good loose the day after I've washed it. The second and third day after I've washed it only looks good tied up. I don't know why, it just does. I have weird hair.

To make my hair look good every day, would it be okay to wash my hair in just COLD water every day? I tend to only do a proper hair wash (i.e. the whole shampoo and conditioner thing) 1-2 times a week. So I will still be using the shampoo 1-2 times a week, but just not every day.

allnaturalboy
January 20th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Just wash your hair everyday. If your hair is fine with it and still looks shiny and healthy, I don't see what the problem is.

CaityBear
January 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
If you're just using water it should not be a problem. The problem with washing hair everyday is when you use shampoo because the shampoo strips your hair of all oils, natural as well and when you use shampoo everyday it's stripping your hair everyday which is where the damage comes from.

rchorr
January 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
My hair does the curly/poofy thing. In the winter time, I do a c/o (conditioner only) wash almost every day. Then, once or twice a week with shampoo. My hair is really dry, and actually loves the c/o.

I have to say, when I french braid my hair (damp) and let it dry that way, when I take it down, it curls almost the exact same way as when I let it air dry, but the frizzies are MUCH less. I've recently had to take some time off for medical reasons, and decided it was the perfect time to experiment! :-)

RCHORR'

Pandora.
January 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks people. :)

OMG when I braid my hair wet at night and take it out in the morning, my hair is CRAZY! Even when my hair was at it's thinnest, my hair was still crazy haha.

So as you do a CO everyday, I'm guessing it would be okay to wash my hair with cold water and a bit of conditioner as well? Sweet.

Rocket22
January 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I too am just starting a co routine and using shampoo only once or twice a week. I'm still in the early stages of this so we will see, but my hair is soooo soft and shiny lately so something is working :) I follow with a cold rinse and white vinegar

Igor
January 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
You don’t have to use cold water. Lukewarm should be fine.

But of course you realise your blow drying and straightening routine is very damaging, right?
How about instead of heat styling it into submission, you stick it up in a bun or braid for that first day where it just doesn’t feel right?

HairFaerie
January 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I wash my hair every day (hot water) and use shampoo and conditioner.
This has never been a problem for me. I guess everyone's hair is different though.:shrug:

Have you tried light oiling on the ends after your hair is dry on the days that you wash? That's what I have found tames my hair nicely without having to use product or a curling iron.

Pandora.
January 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
You don’t have to use cold water. Lukewarm should be fine.

But of course you realise your blow drying and straightening routine is very damaging, right?
How about instead of heat styling it into submission, you stick it up in a bun or braid for that first day where it just doesn’t feel right?

Oh my, of course I know that will be extremely damaging haha. :p

I don't ever straighten my hair everyday. I straighten it twice a week maximum. The longest I've gone without heat styling is 3 weeks. I'm trying to decrease the twice a week routine as it is. Oh and whenever I blow dry, I always always ALWAYS use the cool setting.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Theres no problem with washing hair every day or other day, have you tried pre oiling to prevent the shampoo stripping your natural oils?