PDA

View Full Version : Does Hair texture change much with age

Dragon
January 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Has the texture of your hair changed much as you have gotten older?

CrowningGlory
January 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just the greys. Some seem coarser and curlier than the rest of my hair otherwise it's pretty much as it was when I was a teenager - although possibly in better condition.

Madora
January 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My hair has remained pretty much the same, except for the silver sparklies which are coarse.

Mountaingrrl
January 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Mine has gotten coarser and curlier.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 02:41 AM
My hair has always been wavy, however it has got more wavy as its got longer and ive just been diagnosed as going through an early menopause maybe this is contributing to the extra wave or maybe its better care?

Deborah
January 20th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have a few white hairs. They feel the same as my dark hairs though, not any coarser. I guess it varies from person to person.

lapushka
January 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
When I went through puberty, my hair became frizzier, wavier, thicker also (after a period where it basically started to fall out). I suppose when I hit menopause, I'll be going through another change. Oh the joys of being a woman. :justy:

serious
January 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Mine has gotten wavier and coarser, not to mention the grays, they're driving me crazy!
I used to have fine, silky soft hair when I was young, now it's a dry, frizzy mess most of the time.

Sanyia
January 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
My hair went from straight as a child, to wavy in my teens, to curly in my twenties. Coarser, too.

Honestwitness
January 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Mine has stayed the same all along. Even the white I now have is the same as the brown I used to have.

einna
January 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
My hair was very fine as a child/early teenager, but now in my twenties the strands have gotten a little thicker, I would say F/M now.

It also seems a little more wavy, but that could be the extra moisture...

hennared
January 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gosh, am I the only outlier?

My hair was wavy, thick stranded and well behaved, until age 41 1/2. Then it went entirely to h*ck in a handbasket very rapidly. Now at age 44 it is thinner stranded, there is much less of it, and it became flyaway and cobwebby. :(

Also more wavy, which is the only good thing!

GuardGirl
January 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My hair texture has changed with pregnancy/having a baby. I used to have much curlier hair, and most of my hair now is wavy but not as "kinky" curly as it used to be. I don't know though, all the new baby hairs that have been growing back since my post-partum shed are starting to curl up with some length on them. :)

k8tea
January 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
My hair was curly until I was 4, then straight until puberty (about 11 or 12), then went curly until my pregnancies where my hair turned straight (and looked like I was growing out a perm!), my curls always came back though.

As far as texture and thickness at 49 my hair is now of a "normal" thickness (used to be super thick) and fine to medium fine (used to be medium fine only). My gray hairs are fine and mostly white rather than silver.

jujube
January 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
My mom has experienced a post-chemotherapy hairtype change. When her hair started to grow back, she went from a 2a/2b to a serious 2c/3a. And it's way thicker too.

Neoma
January 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I am 51 and perimenopausal. In the past 10 years, my hair has thinned considerably at the crown. Also, I frequently have a wiry halo on my crown, which is more or less prominent depending on what cleansing method, conditioner and product(s) I use. This is odd, because I rarely find a long hair that has that wiry texture.

The overall texture of my hair seems to have changed from stick straight to very slightly wavy.

Shell
January 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM
After a bout with anemia three years ago, I went from medium textured hair to fine. It's still thick and wavy, but much finer. It might be a little curlier too--I can't decide about that. I don't know if this was caused by my age (44) or what. :shrug:

cataphract
January 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Definitely. I had straight (1a), thin, fine hair as a wee one. Then in middle and high school it got closer to ii and had a little weensy wave to it. When I started my 20s I popped up to iii and gained a crap load of texture. If this trend continues I'll have a really heavy head by the time I'm 40. And possibly a fro.

Lostsoule77
January 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM
When I was little I had straight hair that got a couple waves towards the beginning of middle school. As I hit puberty it turned to the wave (2b) pattern that I have now. It was actually funny because I got a perm and it seemed like it never came out. It was all because my hair changed while I had the perm in! My younger sister actually had the same thing happen to her as well.

phistash
January 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
When I was in high school, my hair was mostly straight, with a very slight wave, and it was like silk: soooo soft and shiny. Then I kept my head shaved for about 10 years, so I have no idea what my hair would have been like during that time. Now, since I've been growing it out, I've noticed major changes in my hair. It is much wavier than it was before, and I have a constant halo of new growth that likes to frizz up, keeping me from ever having that glossy look I used to have.

But I'm okay with the new hair; it's just been quite a learning process figuring out how to handle it. It has much more body than it did before, and who doesn't like waves?

fluffybunny
January 21st, 2011, 12:38 AM
Mine is quite a bit coarser, darker, and less shiny. Also thinner :(

I actually have a saved ponytail from my late 20's. It's a bit depressing to hold it up to my current hair for comparison-- it's just so much shinier and silkier.

Freki
January 21st, 2011, 04:15 AM
My hair has actually gotten a bit finer and thinner in the past few years. I'm not sure if it's just natural changes as I get older or some other problem.

RebeccaG
January 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
My hair taxture changed completely after my first baby. I had poker straight hair then after about 4 months of shedding after son number one it came back in curly! By the time my second son was 6 months it was 2c/3a. It took me ages to get my head round the change and figure out how to look after it but I love it no, it's amazing what having a baby can do to your head ;)