PDA

View Full Version : Is this really ok to put on my head?

Monkey962
January 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I recently bought some monistat, specifically Care One brand 2% miconazole nitrate cream. As I'm looking over the ingredients, I look up one of them (butylated hydroxyanisole), which is a preservative, and possibly carcinogenic. It should be okay to put on my scalp for a short time though, right? Also, I'm guessing that the warnings telling one to stop use if nausea and vomiting occur only apply to those with lady parts, and if the product is applied to those lady parts?

As an aside, I get the feeling asking stuff about monistat is kind of taboo, presumably because of the huge thread already in existance. I would read through it, but it has a couple thousand posts in it. I'll stop asking if it's not considered good form.:)

pepperedmoth
January 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I recently bought some monistat, specifically Care One brand 2% miconazole nitrate cream. As I'm looking over the ingredients, I look up one of them (butylated hydroxyanisole), which is a preservative, and possibly carcinogenic. It should be okay to put on my scalp for a short time though, right? Also, I'm guessing that the warnings telling one to stop use if nausea and vomiting occur only apply to those with lady parts, and if the product is applied to those lady parts?

As an aside, I get the feeling asking stuff about monistat is kind of taboo, presumably because of the huge thread already in existance. I would read through it, but it has a couple thousand posts in it. I'll stop asking if it's not considered good form.:)

I doubt Monistat really works, but it is FDA approved for applying over mucous membranes- the aforementioned "lady parts." Mucous membranes absorb chemicals more readily than the scalp. However, it has CERTAINLY NOT been FDA approved for the purpose used here, and also has not been tested with daily use- it's supposed to be used for 3-7 days at a time, OCCASIONALLY!

And no, there is no reason that vomiting as a result of Monistat is limited to those with "lady parts," and if you vomit after putting Monistat on your head you should certainly stop doing so.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 02:53 AM
As a RN it is perfectly safe to use anti-fungal on any area of the body. It can be also used for ring worm on the scalp without any ill effects. People tend to go urgh if you mention using a vaginal cream on the scalp, which I never really understand why! Ive had excellent results in the past using this and even mentioned it to a dermatologist in the hospital I worked in, he saw no reason why this could be harmful but just advised to stop using if the scalp got sore or showed signs of reaction; itching, hives etc.

Although its a really long read, I would advise reading the monistat thread, there are lots of people who have had great results and can offer you advise on application and tell you their experiences.

Toadstool
January 20th, 2011, 02:59 AM
What alarms me about using any antifungal is they are supposed to be used for a set time or you get immune to them. This happened to me with oral thrush- I didn't realise I was supposed to take a course like antibiotics and I had oral thrush for a long time.
I think medicines AND herbs are far more powerful than a lot of people realise.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I think 2-3 times a week wouldnt hurt, olive oil also acts as an anti-fungal. As long as you aware of what to look for as in side effects and to stop using it if you do; it will not harm you, as many can testify.

It isn't meant to be used forever more its a short term means of accelerating growth, you would of course make the scalp over sensitive to fungal infections if you used it constantly I would think, but as a short term measure its OK.

Lianna
January 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM
If I don't dilute it, I have headaches, that's pretty much it for me. I've seen others with this problem too. The first post on the monistat thread explains pretty much all.

stefafra
January 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
What alarms me about using any antifungal is they are supposed to be used for a set time or you get immune to them. This happened to me with oral thrush- I didn't realise I was supposed to take a course like antibiotics and I had oral thrush for a long time.
I think medicines AND herbs are far more powerful than a lot of people realise.
Sorry to be pedantic but it is not you that become resistant, is whatever fungus you are treating with the antifungal or antibiotic compound that does it.
If you start taking it but don't complete the course then you could have some surviving fungi or bacteria that manage to adapt and get resistant.
I hope it is clear.
I would never put a fungicide on my head if I have no fungal infection, honestly.
I would not worry about the preservatives in the cream, I would worry more about the miconazole, possible side effects, interactions with other medicaments etc etc etc.

little_cherry
January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I stopped using MN when I found out there were natural methods that did the trick...mustard oil infused with bhringraj (aka maka) is fantastic.

RoseRed27
January 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
As a RN it is perfectly safe to use anti-fungal on any area of the body. It can be also used for ring worm on the scalp without any ill effects. People tend to go urgh if you mention using a vaginal cream on the scalp, which I never really understand why! Ive had excellent results in the past using this and even mentioned it to a dermatologist in the hospital I worked in, he saw no reason why this could be harmful but just advised to stop using if the scalp got sore or showed signs of reaction; itching, hives etc.

Although its a really long read, I would advise reading the monistat thread, there are lots of people who have had great results and can offer you advise on application and tell you their experiences.

I know why!:p Because monistat is meant to go on the vagina. And anything that has to do with the "lady parts", makes some people feel uncomfortable. (Although, I suspect if it were meant to go on male genitals, many people would feel equally squeamish) If MN were meant for the knees, people would feel more comfortable using it on their scalp.

From what I've seen, in the minds of some, male genitals are "silly" (Soooo many jokes on daytime TV), whereas female genitals are "icky" and "scary". :rolleyes: I remember a promo for an episode of a medical show. The episode was about vaginal health. They couldn't even say the word "vagina"! "We can't say it in this ad, but every woman has one and on tomorrow's show blah blah blah..." Meanwhile, every other commercial has to do with erections! :p

MN can be found in other medications. There's one for feet. So if anyone feels uncomfortable having the cashier think they have a yeast infection, the cashier can now think you have athlete's foot!:D And there are a group of hair products which have a similar class of chemicals.

(I hope all this talk counts as pg-13, I learned these terms in 5th grade health class, so I hope this doesn't break any forum rules!)

Lianna
January 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
MN can be found in other medications. There's one for feet. So if anyone feels uncomfortable having the cashier think they have a yeast infection, the cashier can now think you have athlete's foot!:D And there are a group of hair products which have a similar class of chemicals.

That's sorta what I do, since my country doesn't have the "monistat". I just buy random miconazole nitrate. There are shampoos with cetoconazole, which I believe is similar.

About similar "other options", more natural or whatever, not every product works for everyone. Some will get a lot more growth with castor oil, others won't. Some will get from monistat, and I don't think we should look at them differently for trying this product.

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I know why!:p Because monistat is meant to go on the vagina. And anything that has to do with the "lady parts", makes some people feel uncomfortable. (Although, I suspect if it were meant to go on male genitals, many people would feel equally squeamish) If MN were meant for the knees, people would feel more comfortable using it on their scalp.

From what I've seen, in the minds of some, male genitals are "silly" (Soooo many jokes on daytime TV), whereas female genitals are "icky" and "scary". :rolleyes: I remember a promo for an episode of a medical show. The episode was about vaginal health. They couldn't even say the word "vagina"! "We can't say it in this ad, but every woman has one and on tomorrow's show blah blah blah..." Meanwhile, every other commercial has to do with erections! :p

(I hope all this talk counts as pg-13, I learned these terms in 5th grade health class, so I hope this doesn't break any forum rules!)
but its a cream end of, like your not going to sprout a huge vagina on the top of your head:o LOL thank heavens!