PDA

View Full Version : Very Excited!

Shay0969
January 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone.

I have had short-to-extremely short hair my whole life...I am 41 years old.

I've wanted long hair for several years, but it seems so out of reach. I would grow it out a little, then cut it back off :(

In March 2010 I decided I really, REALLY want to grow my hair out. It was a very short pixie at the time.

It is now very much past my shoulders in back (not quite armpit) and slightly below my shoulders at the side. I've had 2 small trims since then. One was sometime in June when the outgrown pixie had created such uneven lengths that it was embarassing. Not much of a problem before then as my hair is stick straight.

The second "trim" was at Christmas. My mom came for Christmas (she is 3 states away) and I knew I could trust her to do what I wasn't sure any hairdresser would do. Just take off 1/2 inch or so. I had some split ends, and didn't want them getting any bigger.

I am finding that caring for longer hair is a little more challenging than short. After all, if you damage short hair--you don't have to live with it very long :D. I found your forum while searching the internet for how to care for longer hair. I've done some reading and am so excited to have found you.

As I stated, NEVER had long hair--I have so much to learn:drama:

Dragon
January 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Welcome to LHC. Happy growing :)

Intransigentia
January 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Good for you for getting past your shoulders! I would say the hardest part is behind you now; soon your hair will be long enough that you can put it up and then ignore it for the whole day, and I find that at that point long hair starts being lower-maintenance than short. For example, the cure for having slept on your hair funny is no longer to re-wash, now you can just stick it in a ponytail or braid.

Hang in there, and happy learning and growing!

CarpeDM
January 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Welcome! Like you, my hair has never been longer than APL (I've also had short hair the majority of my life) and I think we might be close in length, happy growing!