PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy causing growth stall?

Emichiee
January 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Since late Nov. I have been growing again, the plan was to grow without trims for a while.
But weirdly, and this NEVER happened to me...my hair has not grown at all since November. The past 5 years on LHC I have been using the tape measuring method to perfection and it was accurate for me every month.
Additionally, I also take photos where I hold my hands under my buttocks and this time there was no visible change on the pictures either. I usually grow quite a lot, 1.7cm/ 0.7" a month and did so until early Nov.

I am suspecting that my pregnancy (since 11.11.'10) has caused that stall. I'm 10 weeks now.
Other reasons don't seem to apply:
- Not at terminal, artficial or natural limit, my hair has been longer and it is also not to thin at the ends to gain visible length (talking when shedding beats length gain) and no breakage to the point where my ends break off.
edit: to explain why I know its not Terminal Length: I have a neat hemline, my hair was longer before, I calculated my terminal length to be 130cm.
Plus, reaching terminal you usually don't go from full growth to no growth. My hair has also grown in a much thinner state after the hair loss (see center pic), so Inam growing with a good basis now (right pic). My bangs also don't grow :/
- No health reasons, I am doing a lot of blood testing because I am considered a high risk pregnancy patient, and everything was great, even my thyroid, prolactin.
- No other drastic reason like Trauma etc.
There is FEW things that really can make the hair stall, so my best guess is that the severe change of hormones right now is causing this, as well as the fact that my body spends all the energy on the baby now.
I was hoping some LHCers could share their own experience during pregnancy when it comes to hair growth?

It might just be for a few months but after a year of trimming due to hair loss I was eager to finally get to my goal length :( so I'm a little frustrated.

And just to add, yes my boyfriend and me are happy about the growing baby, even though it is early. Let me tell you that Diflucan and birth control don't mix, because the doctor did not tell me :/
-

GlassWidow
January 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My hair didn't do much of anything when I was pregnant. It didn't grow, it didn't shed, it didn't hold a curl...

About three months after, though, I had a massive shed. I seriously thought I was going bald because chunks were missing from the hairline around my forehead.
ETA: it did grow back, or at least it's in the process of growing back and is not as unnatural looking.

Edited AGAIN, because I should have started off with this....congratulations on the little one!!!

Aliped
January 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Congratulations Emichee!

I have had friends that thought pregnancy enhanced the thickness and condition of their hair. I haven't heard of a stall before, but I don't know many people IRL that would even notice.

Best wishes for your pregnancy.

SimplyViki
January 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
OMG! Congratulations!

No idea about the growth stall, though.

McFearless
January 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry your doctor didn't inform you! I'm glad you're thrilled about your pregnancy and congrats!!
Pregnancy=more circulation= faster hair growth as far as I know. But everyone is different. It might change throughout your pregnancy too. Take care.

Dark Queen
January 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Congratulations!

I've also known more people whose hair and nails improved with pregnancy, so I'm not sure about that. Just make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins I guess :)

melikai
January 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Oh wow! Didn't expect that one :) (seems you didn't either). Congratulations and I hope all goes well. It's rather insane everything that you've been through this last year or two.

Sorry I don't have advice on the hair growth issue. My guess would be that it's just your hormones being all over the place, for various reasons. Maybe the change in climate too?

spidermom
January 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Congratulations! Back when I was pregnant, I didn't pay that much attention to my hair, so I can't tell you if it grew faster/slower, shed less or more, or anything other than the fact that I had some (hair that is). But again - congratulations! Babies are pretty wonderful.

Loviatar
January 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
OH Emi, congratulations, that's fantastic news! :D

Vorvolaka
January 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have no idea about the hair but I wanted to add my congratulations!

KarenLynn
January 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy! :D Hope all goes well.

I know my hair hardly shed at all while I was pregnant, at least not in the second and third trimesters. It only needed to be washed once a week, too. (That part was really nice, but it didn't last.) I'm at least 95% certain it continued to grow at its usual rate, though. I don't know why you're considered high risk, but could that have anything to do with it?

Flossy
January 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Congratulations! I don't know anything about your back story, but I know for sure that when pregnant and breastfeeding my hair doesn't grow at a very rapid rate. I don't get the healthy nails either :(. I've pretty much either been pregnant or feeding for the past 6 years, so I think I have some catching up to go in my length! Then again, maybe that's just how fast my hair grows? I haven't had any time off to see!

I agree with you, in that I think my body uses it's hair growing energy on my boys instead of me!

Juneii
January 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
congratulations Emichiee! Your life is full of happy little surprises now :)

Could your stall be due to shedding as well? Your hair may still be growing a bit but the longest strands are shedding. Or it could just be that your body is putting all of its energy into keeping the baby healthy.

joiekimochi
January 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Congratulations on the little one!! I'm really happy for you!

Aquamarine
January 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Just popped in to say: Congratulations!!:cheese::cheese:

jojo
January 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Congratulations! well my hair went from neck to near BSL during both my pregnancy, from wavy to very curly and I did not go through the great shed after neither. You are very early on so maybe your hormone levels havent reached their maximum? or maybe you are reaching terminal length?

julya
January 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
My hair grew normally during pregnancy, and didn't shed at all, until my son was about five months old. Then I shed like crazy and got bald areas on my temples. It totally freaked me out at the time, but it did grow back eventually.

Congrats on your pregnancy! It is an exciting time!

Emichiee
January 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
congratulations Emichiee! Your life is full of happy little surprises now :)

Could your stall be due to shedding as well? Your hair may still be growing a bit but the longest strands are shedding. Or it could just be that your body is putting all of its energy into keeping the baby healthy.

Congratulations! well my hair went from neck to near BSL during both my pregnancy, from wavy to very curly and I did not go through the great shed after neither. You are very early on so maybe your hormone levels havent reached their maximum? or maybe you are reaching terminal length?

I have to say no to the terminal again. I have a neat hemline, my hair was longer before, I calculated my terminal length to be 130cm.
Plus, reaching terminal you isually don't go from full growth to no growth.

And yes, so many new things in my life right now :) and well I think they might be using all the energy.

Altocumulus
January 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Congratulations! :flower:

My hair grew faster and shed less during both of my pregnancies, but I think mostly in the second and third trimesters. I didn't notice anything different in the beginning. It also changed color (blonde to brown), and then back to blonde again after weaning!

IndigoAsh
January 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Gratz on the baby!!!!<3

I was pregnant from February '07 to January '09 with only a 5 month break between each, and the second pregnancy was twins. I noticed an amazing amount of hair growth during my first pregnancy that lasted for both pregnancies like one long growth spurt. Just make sure you take your prenatals and eat right and you should be good. I went through a major growth stall this past year(only got barely like 4 inches)so it could be just a coincidence you also happen to be pregnant.

melrose1985
January 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
congrats Emi!!!! Not sure about the hair growth but well wishes for you, your boyfriend and the baby!

Emichiee
January 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy! :D Hope all goes well.

I know my hair hardly shed at all while I was pregnant, at least not in the second and third trimesters. It only needed to be washed once a week, too. (That part was really nice, but it didn't last.) I'm at least 95% certain it continued to grow at its usual rate, though. I don't know why you're considered high risk, but could that have anything to do with it?

My Hashimotos Thyroiditis, Prolactinoma could lead to a hormonal imbalance and lead to a miscarriage. But since my levels are normal on meds right nkw it should not have any effects on pregnancy or hair.
My recent LEEP surgery on the cervix could lead to preterm labor but its not hormonal.

Maelyssa
January 19th, 2011, 08:15 PM
OMG! Congratz to you & your man then. I just had a little girl 3 weeks ago so I've been out of the loop on the forum for some time now but I can tell you that during the first 3 months of pregnancy my hair seemed to stall as well but then picked up again from the 4th month on. I was a high risk pregnancy as well. In my opinion the baby was really growing well & taking a lot of my own nutrients so my hair was slowed down a bit. Who knows if there's any medical truth to that but it sure seemed like that was the reason.

P.S. I know a while back you & your man were worried about money so if you weren't already aware you can look into your local WIC clinic to get help buying formula/baby food as well as you can qualify for milk, juice, cereal & some vegetables for yourself while you're pregnant. Also if you run into issues with health insurance you can always call the state assistance office as being pregnant you can get covered by their healthcare & the baby will be covered when born. Not sure if money's still an issue but this is info that was given to me that I passing on to you just in case you find yourself needing it.

Keep us posted on how things go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to have a healthy pregnancy & baby. Good luck!

Emichiee
January 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Maelyssa!
I am glad to hear the first response to a stall. I was starting to think I am really weird.

Money is still an issue, because I am not able to work atm. Morning Sickness and Fatique have hit me in tge worst way, I can hardly eat enough or get out of bed much.
I am trying to get past the first trimester, hoping it will be better.
I have Medical now though and am applying for food stamps. I might try WIC too lster on. Hopefully I can find a work from home position soon...my boyfriend was in college and is trying t find a job right now so it can be a while until we are out of debt.

Lisa R
January 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM
A HUGE congratulations to you too!

Sorry I can't help you with your 'no growth' issue... When I was pregnant my normally fine and thin hair grew and became so lovely and 'thick'. Unfortunately a few months after having bub I shed. I shed lots and lots and lots of hair for a few months. I now have around 3-4inches of new growth all over the place. Fortunately the new growth is under the top part of my hair.

I'm still breastfeeding and I think that isn't helping my hair much either. So much is going to the baby. I am loving every minute of it though. Babies are truly miracles.

Have fun!

Red Leo
January 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM
That is wonderful news even if it is early!
You have increased blood circulation during pregnancy and in the first trimester you can have a (stall) in hair and nail growth,Probably because you are making the babys vital organs!
But by the third trimester you will probably notice your (stalled) hair and nails will grow very fast and your hair will feel thicker! Don't worry about it! Kick back and enjoy the ride!!!!
If you can get over being car sick.....yea the first trimester can be rough!!! Good luck...and drinking red rasberry tea will help with the sickness and is great for mommy and baby!

Avital88
January 20th, 2011, 12:43 AM
congratz! I think because a lot of energy and vitamins go to the baby right now, i would try supplements for pregnant women, and probably in a few week your will be normal again.
I think its just the first trimester that causes a lot of stress on your body.

Avital88
January 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
You have increased blood circulation during pregnancy and in the first trimester you can have a (stall) in hair and nail growth,Probably because you are making the babys vital organs!
But by the third trimester you will probably notice your (stalled) hair and nails will grow very fast and your hair will feel thicker! Don't worry about it! Kick back and enjoy the ride!!!!
If you can get over being car sick.....yea the first trimester can be rough!!! Good luck...and drinking red rasberry tea will help with the sickness and is great for mommy and baby!

Yep this is what i meant:) hadnt read all posts yet.

ericthegreat
January 20th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Congratulations on the new baby! I'm so happy for you! Of course, I'll never know what its like to be pregnant ever LOL, but I'll just keep reminding you what is already sound advice. Eat healthy, make sure you take all those prenatal vitamins, take it easy and try to avoid as much stress as possible and you'll have *knock on wood* a beautiful healthy child. :) As for your growth stall the ladies here have probably already mentioned why this may be happening (you are still early into your pregnancy, your body could be redirecting more nutrients to your baby). Perhaps you can mention this to your doctor, perhaps he or she might recommend some kind of supplements you can take that are safe and beneficial to you and your child?

ooo
January 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Congratulations!
I'm sure your hair will grow again.

Isadora Lewie
January 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
congratulations, Emi!

Emichiee
January 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM

My nails have been great, so hopefully the hair will catch up :)
And I definetly have to try rasberry tea, it sounds good.
Sadly, for the nausea no home remedy has helped so far. Not even certain meds for nausea do help...:( I really hope it passes soon.

catfish
January 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Oh wonderful :D congratulations Emi! Im very happy for you.
I think you may be right, perhapes your body is so focused on growing a baby, your hair growth has slowed down to a crawl. Maybey the second trimester will involve the hair growth spurt?

All the best to you.:flowers: catfish

Anje
January 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Congratulations, Emi! I hope everything continues to go smoothly. No experience on the hair-pregnancy thing, beyond the standard knowledge that being pregnant can do some strange things to hair and nail growth.

For the nausea -- I'm sure you've tried peppermint and ginger already. Another thing I've heard works for some people are these little accupressure devices called Sea Bands (http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Original-Wristband-Adult-Size/dp/B000GCMXZM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1295622584&sr=1-2). They're marketed for seasickness and motion sickness, but I've heard that they work well for morning sickness too, and there are a couple published studies supporting their effectiveness. I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Walgreen's, so you'll probably find them locally.

GeoJ
January 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Congratulations!

I didn't measure my hair when I was pregnant, but I suspect I had some early shedding (because, combined with damage from my bun rubbing my hat, the bottom 9 inches got thin and bad looking). I ended up cutting from past classic to hip. It got back to classic more slowly than usual (maybe due to breast feeding). I didn't get bad post-natal shedding, just some thinning at the temples. On the good side, my hair all grew back eventually (as seen in my sig photo below).

BrightEyes7
January 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
Congrats Emi!!! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well here in CA! And a precious bundle of joy on the way!

As far as the stall, I wouldn't know much as I have no kids. But it does make sense, all nutrients are going to the little one... not your hair. And the fact that you are hardly able to eat anything means there is even less nutrients to go around, so the hair is the last to get anything!

As far as the Medical and food stamps and WIC, I really think you should go to WIC. They help with not only food but with healthcare as well. It really sucks going to those offices though, I recommend being there when they open in the mornings.

Congrats once again!!

ETA: I've heard that eating something salty before meals can help to be able to eat the meal. Also small snacks throughout the day that are high in protein. (Almonds are great. The protein they contain is easily absorded by the body)

Also my mom's doctor told her to eat at least 1 egg everyday throughout her pregnancy with me and that it will help to develop the baby's brain. She did this with only me and I am noticably smarter and had an easier time with school than all my siblings. I also developed faster, was reading faster, went to school faster, etc. I plan to do this with all my pregnancies.

Chibbylick
January 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
Congratulations!
I wasn't tracking hair growth during any of my 4 pregnancies, so I really can't comment on the stalled growth, but I would like to tell you that I only experienced hair shed after delivery with 2 of the babies. I know your previous shed was very distressing for you, and I just want to extend the hope that it may not reoccur after you deliver your surprise baby. Prenatal vitamins are awesom for hair and nails!
Good luck with everything, feel good soon!

Red Leo
January 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM
I hope it will pass soon I think they say that means the baby will have a lot of hair!....Or mabe that was heartburn,not sure but hopeing the best!

JaneinMarch
January 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Congratulations on the baby! I hope all goes well.

jaine
January 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Congrats on the pregnancy!! :D

I wonder if winter is compounding any effect you might have from the pregnancy.
I think I'll be lucky if I get half an inch in 4 months from November through February.

Rini
January 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Wow, congrats Emi! That's so wonderful :D

Firstly, the only hair changes I had with my babies was a huge increase in thickness (which of course went right back to normal thanks to the post-partum MAJOR shed!). I didn't notice a change in length for the better or worse, it just seemed normal.

Secondly, morning (or all day) sickness is a pain and I sympathise :( I tried all the herbal teas etc and found that really the best thing was just to graze small nibbles throughout the day. I used to keep some dry crackers next to my bed so that as soon as I woke up I could eat a bit. An empty stomach meant dry heaving for me :puke:

Best of luck to you! Pregnancy is an awesome experience and totally worth it :cloud9:

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Congrads!!!!

I am guessing it is just hormones and early pregnancy.
Most likely once you get further along you will see an improvement.

But be warned many women shed a lot after giving birth. But things eventually balance back out again:)

Lilli
January 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Congratulations! Mine grew slowly at the beginning but much quicker at the end of my pregnancy.

Amoretti
January 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Congratulations, Emi!!! :flowers: I'm so happy for you. :)

RavennaNight
January 24th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Oh wow! Congrats Emi! :flowers: I never would have known! I barely ever come to the health board!

Emichiee
February 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Congrads!!!!

I am guessing it is just hormones and early pregnancy.
Most likely once you get further along you will see an improvement.

But be warned many women shed a lot after giving birth. But things eventually balance back out again:)

I hope IO won't lose too much since I had lots of hair loss late 2009 :(

Oh wow! Congrats Emi! :flowers: I never would have known! I barely ever come to the health board!

Oooh..they must have moved it, but I was going to facebook you too :) Just have not been able to share my baby news yet!

I wanted to update that it seems my hair picked up growing a bit again, since posting this my hair grew 0.04"/ 1cm.
Not sure if that counts as monthly growth or something else but at least it seems to pick up again, my too short bangs also finally grew ^^.

I am in the 2nd trimester now so hopefully things get better.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Marjolein
February 3rd, 2011, 07:03 AM
You're pregnant?! Yay!!! I'm so happy everything is turning for the better for you in such a short time frame!! I'm sorry, I haven't got any useful suggestions regarding the stall or the sickness, just wanted to let you know I'm so happy for the both of you :).

Fufu
February 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Emi: Many congratulations :)

Katharina
February 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Congratulations Emi! :cheer:

Keep my fingers crossed that everything works out well for you.