PDA

View Full Version : Hair damage from a bonfire?

xoxophelia
January 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I was wondering if anybody could confirm if this can actually happen (ETA my ends are basically destroyed) or if it was only in my head or from the weather. A few days ago some friends had a bonfire and I wore my hair down. It is also a bit dry and cold here. Anyways, when I got back home of course my hair smelled like smoke but it also felt very dry, crunchy, and fly away from static. I shampooed it to get the smell out and conditioned.

But yesterday, the ends felt unusually tangly and when I looked at my ends I suddenly saw quite a few small split ends which I am fairly sure were not there before. I'm going to try to clarify but I have resolved that I will need to cut off about half an inch of the 2" I can trim this year (that is the goal anyways).

Has anybody else ever noticed damage to their hair from a bonfire?

milagro
January 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Smoke smell is to be expected :) and is easy to get rid of.
I think in theory standing close to bonfire can damage hair- it is heat. Yet I never noticed any significant extra damage myself though we have frequent sort of barbeque thing with open fire in summertime, and I stand by and turn quite a lot. I normally put my hair up though.
Be careful next time :flower:

ddiana1979
January 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I would try an SMT. If that doesn't help, I guess a Search & Destroy mission for splits is your only option. :( Sorry. :(

Darkhorse1
January 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Before any trimming, also try olive oil. You've singed the ends of your hair, which is why it's feeling...fried. Diana is right though, a mini micro trim just to remove the singed ends should help.

Try getting a melted marshmallow out of long golden blond hair of a pre-teen ;) And a collie. Ugh---bone fires are great, but the aftermath, not so much :D

xoxophelia
January 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you for the help ladies. I followed the suggestions.. I did a mini S&D session and I did a mixture of olive oil/honey/and VO5 on my ends. When I was done showering, I did an ACV rinse on the ends as well. Thank goodness all of this actually helped. I am not sure which was the most helpful between the oil or the ACV but my ends are no longer a tangled mess that won't come undone.

After all was said and done I still trimmed half an inch off the longest parts and then trimmed up the rest to make things slightly more even. I will just trim another half inch in April instead of an inch and then all will be as planned.

I'm happy the ends are acting like hair again!

lyria
January 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I guess it depends on how close you were to the fire. On the other hand, I never blow dry and often have my wet hair drying while lying in front of the fire and reading and have never suffered adverse effects.

Panth
January 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Depends how close you were. My mum loves doing bonfires after gardening or whatever and she ALWAYS comes back with singed eyelashes and eyebrows - and that's just from being close enough to tend the fire over a few hours.

xoxophelia
January 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Depends how close you were. My mum loves doing bonfires after gardening or whatever and she ALWAYS comes back with singed eyelashes and eyebrows - and that's just from being close enough to tend the fire over a few hours.

I was also tending the fire and I noticed it was mostly my ends in the front that got the slit ends. I know they didn't catch on fire but perhaps the really dry heat did it in. The smoke also left some residue on my hair I am pretty sure but it was removed yesterday when I did the hair treatments. I will just remember to stick my hair up next time.

little_cherry
January 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
You may have major build up from the smoke (yes, smoke can build up...it's crazy..) Do try to clarify and then a deep moisture treatment and oiling....if there are splits, then it is S&D time.

teela1978
January 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have bonfires a lot during the summer... I keep my hair up because I like stoking the fire and adding logs... plus we often use wood that isn't completely dry and I'd rather not have a spark fly into my loose hair and have to jump into the bay to put out my head! I've never noticed damage from bonfires though :shrug:

marzipanthecat
January 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yes. I did this to my own hair a few years ago at a massive bonfire up in Great Torrington (it's a big public event that takes place every 5 years or so) and the heat was incredibly intense - even though it is fenced so no one can get too close, I found my hair actually got a bit frizzled in places! A lot of people around me noticed it happening to them too. I stress, it was HOT.

(It was the burning of a life-size replica of the ship The Victory - it really was the biggest bonfire I've ever seen.)