PDA

View Full Version : A Cruel Trick

turquoisebud
January 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
So I have been rinsing with cold water lately and I realize some of the benefits of doing so, but man, its cold! :blueeek: Sometimes I think some short haired men were talking about the things girls will do for hair and one said, "Hey, lets say pouring freezing cold water over your head will make there hair better" :tongue: Anyway, sometimes I think, is this really doing anything but giving me pneumonia! :D Have any of you notice your hair improving because of cold water rinses?

Marjolein
January 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Yes it works, but you know what? Vinegar rinses work just as well!! It's all about closing the hairshaft, making it smooth and shiney, and both cold water and acidity do that trick :)

Oz
January 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM
i ask this myself... but did you know.. before sittng down to think, albert ienstine poured a bucket of ice water over his head to 'stimulate his brain' ,, so if it does nothing for your hair... maybe you're getting smarter.

Fufu
January 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I love final cold rinse on my hair after conditioning too, i do the back arching to avoid the cold water touching my back.

turquoisebud
January 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM
That's funny, Oz, I didn't know that about Albert Einstein! Maybe I will be smarter because of it! Fufu, I arch my back too! :) I helps a lot when its cold out!

Thinthondiel
January 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
i ask this myself... but did you know.. before sittng down to think, albert ienstine poured a bucket of ice water over his head to 'stimulate his brain' ,, so if it does nothing for your hair... maybe you're getting smarter.

Does that mean that people who rinse with cold water will also have hair that looks like Albert Einstein's? :p

turquoisebud
January 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Does that mean that people who rinse with cold water will also have hair that looks like Albert Einstein's? :p

I hope not, Thinthodiel! I am not really going for that look! :p

TiaKitty
January 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
What happens if I pour a bucket of cold ACV over my head?

turquoisebud
January 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
My ACV/water mixture is always cold when I use it, so I guess it's a double whammy! :)

ravenreed
January 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
My hair is really shiny and I don't do the cold water rinses. I HATE cold water. BRRRR. I do an ACV rinse every time I wash my hair, and I also do a catnip rinse. So between the two, I guess I will give the cold water rinse a miss.

jojo
January 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM

ha ha that made me LOL! maybe somebody should have told him about oils:p

clairenewcastle
January 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I've been finishing with a final cold water rinse since I was fifteen (I'm now forty five) - it works!

On the rare occasion I didn't do it (perhaps due to the bathroom being too cold) my hair was less shiny and more difficult to comb.

HuggyBear
January 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I love my cold water rinses!!! Good to know about Albert Einstein! No wonder my brain hurts when the cold water hits my scalp. Guess that means I'm getting smarter. :D

HairFaerie
January 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry, this is one of those things that no matter HOW GOOD it MIGHT be for your your hair, I cannot fathom doing it in the winter! I love my hot showers in the winter and there's just no way I can bring myself to use cold/cool water! AGH! Just the thought of it makes me shiver!
In the summer I don't mind it but not when it's 12 degrees Fahrenheit!!!

SwordWomanRiona
January 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry, this is one of those things that no matter HOW GOOD it MIGHT be for your your hair, I cannot fathom doing it in the winter! I love my hot showers in the winter and there's just no way I can bring myself to use cold/cool water! AGH! Just the thought of it makes me shiver!
In the summer I don't mind it but not when it's 12 degrees Fahrenheit!!!

Agreeing!!!:D

rose.grace
January 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
i ask this myself... but did you know.. before sittng down to think, albert ienstine poured a bucket of ice water over his head to 'stimulate his brain' ,, so if it does nothing for your hair... maybe you're getting smarter.:rollin:I love this!

With me, it depends on whether or not I plan to put something "in" it, or on it, such as placenta, afterwards. I figure if the cuticle is closed, it won't penetrate as well. But, I think cold water rinsing not only closes the cuticle but dissipates the shampoo/soap better, so that's another benefit. I imagine cold water and keeping the cuticle closed has long term benefits that will make it grow healthier for a longer time because it's better protected.

I always rinse with cooler water than I wash it with. Quite frequently, the water I use to wash it is just barely warm. I don't think freezing cold water is necessary. Cool or as cool as is comfortable for your scalp should be fine. I don't know if shocking your hair is good for it.

As a side note: Pneumonia can kill you, but if it's any consolation, your hair will still grow. :flower:

Avital88
January 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I used to do it all the time last year and my hair was quite shiny. Now im usually feeling too cold to even consider doing it. Brr maybe in summer again

Darkhorse1
January 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I LOVE my cool water rinses!! For me, it has also helped my SD, so it's very soothing. I don't go that cold though, except in the summer when it keeps me cooled down ;)

marzipanthecat
January 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Yes. I would say that cold water rinses do make my hair more shiny.

I'm just not doing them at the moment because it is TOO COLD!

cataphract
January 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM
How cold is cold? Does lukewarm work? I can't stand hot showers most of the time and just take warm ones, to lukewarm ones. Cool ones in the summer.

Sanyia
January 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I lean forward and only do the cold rinse on the length, holding it away from my head. Not a fan of cold water on my body... :)

GRU
January 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Sometimes I think some short haired men were talking about the things girls will do for hair and one said, "Hey, lets say pouring freezing cold water over your head will make there hair better" :tongue:

I've often believed that pantyhose were invented by men for the sole purpose of torturing women.

Same with high heels.

FluffSpider
January 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
My suggestion would be: warm wash in the shower, get out of the shower, dry yourself(not the hair), then fill a bucket with very cold water and dip your head in it. You needn't touch the roots-it's still way better than nothing.

Tia2010
January 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I love my cold water rinse and my ACV rinse is always with cold water too.

I suggest getting a rainshower head with an adjustable long arm. That lets me adjust it far enough out that I can stand in front near the shower controls completly out of the water before I turn it to cold , then just tilt my head back in the cold water and rinse and my body stays out of the cold water then I can turn it off without having to reach through the cold water...love it !

Sagi1982
January 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
What the heck?! I must be a genious! I always rinse with cold water! :eyebrows:

Anywhere
January 19th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I don't think it does anything for my hair but I do it anyway just in case. ;)

Venefica
January 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I do cold water rinses now and again. I think the hair looks more shiny when I do, but it might just be my imagination. However I do not have the water so icy as to freeze my scalp off, I have it as cold as I can before it get really uncomfortable.

Little_Bird
January 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I love my cold water rinses! I dare say it helps with detangling a bit, and one thing I'm sure of is that is gives great shine! yaay! :happydance:

Angeletti
January 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I cheat by flipping my head upside down and just putting the cold water on the length of my hair, my extendable shower head is useful for this. I cringe at the thought of having to shower in the cold water or getting it on my scalp.

bluesnowflake
January 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
It definitely works for me- I don't ever go without it, but in the winter my rinse is considerably shorter ;) yes, it's uncomfortable, but with beauty comes pain. I'd rather be cold for 30 seconds and have shiny hair.

teela1978
January 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I never noticed much of a difference with my hair whether I did a cold water rinse or not. I figure the water on my hair cools quickly anyway, so it gets hit with cool water weather I freeze in the shower or not.

vindo
January 19th, 2011, 02:46 PM
It helps my hair to feel more smooth and tangle less. Even if I do acv, cold water still adds improvement.
I bend back and rinse the neck down only so I won't feel the cold :P

Nenyath
January 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm actually growing to enjoy finishing with cold water, not just for the hair. It might make you smarter, I don't know, what I do know is that it will stimulate extra fat loss! All it takes is 10 to 15 seconds to trigger the good effects :)

spidermom
January 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I've got a hand-held shower thingie, so it's easy to do cold water rinses and not involve the rest of my body. However, I don't see one bit of difference between the times I do it and the times I don't.

LadyLongLocks
January 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I lean forward and only do the cold rinse on the length, holding it away from my head. Not a fan of cold water on my body... :)
Same here.
I only tried ACV rinse one time and saw no difference with cold water or ACV rinsing.
But I still do it. The cold water rinse is good for the scalp I heard.

HintOfMint
January 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I wear high heels, shave my legs and armpits, deal with stockings, wear skinny jeans, and do all manner of uncomfortable/annoying things for the sake of appearances on a regular basis. The heels thing is virtually everyday.

But... I. Will. Not. Pour. Cold. Water. On. My. Head.

turquoisebud
January 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well, at least I don't like it's totally noneffective. :) I didn't know it was good for the scalp. My scalp is very persnickety! :wink:

phylsgyrl
January 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I definitely have noticed a difference (I've been rinsing with cold water for about two years now); it helps avoid tangles and makes it shinier, plus that I feel invigorated. In the winter, I can't make myself go with cold, so I'll just cool the temperature down to lukewarm. In the summer I shower completely in cold water.

MissCharizard
January 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have tried to take showers in colder water or do cold rinses but I just cannot STAND it. So yeah I still use blistering hot water in my showers and forgo the cold rinse.

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I do cold water rinses, they definitely give me more shine, but my showers are never more than lukewarm, so I don't notice the shock of it as much (I'm not good with hot temperatures; you should see me try to cook... oy :p ). I arch my back so most of the cold water misses me, but since it's right at the end of the shower, it does make that moment when you leave the hot steamy bathroom and go into a comparatively chilly bedroom easier to bear.

bumblebums
January 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Nobody has linked this article by Igor, so I will:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=77

Also, a cold shower brings benefits not just for your hair but also for your skin. Your pores will close and your skin won't dry out as fast. Cold water also narrows the blood vessels and speeds up circulation. Plus, it wakes you up like no cuppa coffee ever can :) Not for everyone, I suspect. I am a morning person so I enjoy a cold rinse.

Speckla
January 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM

You become a picklecicle?:p

GRU
January 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
You become a picklecicle?:p

That is a FUN word to say! :cheese:

MrsGuther
January 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
So I have been rinsing with cold water lately and I realize some of the benefits of doing so, but man, its cold! :blueeek: Sometimes I think some short haired men were talking about the things girls will do for hair and one said, "Hey, lets say pouring freezing cold water over your head will make there hair better" :tongue: Anyway, sometimes I think, is this really doing anything but giving me pneumonia! :D Have any of you notice your hair improving because of cold water rinses?

HAHAHAH your post is so true and funny!!! I think it must have been some kind of sick joke that somebody came up with to torture people with. I personally refuse to rinse my hair with freezing cold water. I use warm water, because I am all about comfort and I cannot stand to be cold!!! :) I have read on here some people say that they rinse with cold water for the "shine factor." Well my hair is shiny all by itself without me having to freeze in the shower! Or at least that's what I tell myself. ;)

RadiantNeedle
January 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I find it easier to detangle if I do a cold rinse. As cool as I can stand it in winter, but I have a hand held shower thingy, so I dont have to have it on my body.
I have absolutely noticed better scalp condition, soothed skin if its been irritated by anything, and I'm able to stretch washes a bit more because I don't look super greasy 12 hours later any more.

CaityBear
January 24th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I liked my hair when I did do cold rinses at the end of my shower. I would do the back arch as well. Sometimes I wouldn't have it as all cold and then I'd stand under the shower for a while. It definitely woke me up.

...Then winter hit. And there was noooooo waaaay I was going to continue doing cold rinses since it's very difficult to convince myself to get INTO the shower when it's winter since it's already so darn cold...

christine1989
January 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I love final cold rinse on my hair after conditioning too, i do the back arching to avoid the cold water touching my back.

I do the same thing. I don't mind cold water but if its freezing cold I can't stand to get in it. I think it definatly has an effect on my hair- not really on the shine but it decreases frizz and makes it feel softer when it dries.

rags
January 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I will do a lot of things for my hair. I will buy it expensive lotions, potions and powders. I'll buy it toys and expensive combs and brushes. I'll detangle it strand by strand and spend hours doing deep treatments. I Will. Not. pour cold water over my head when it's in the teens!! :scared: