PDA

View Full Version : New styling method critique please!

alwayssmiling
January 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
:) Good morning all.

My hair is currently at colar bone and is at a very bushy awkward stage, and I'm sick to death of pony tails :mad: Even my own mother is telling me that it has no style. I heat straightened last Tuesday and know I'm on a slippery slope because it looked so good :o. So... I havee been experimenting. I love wraps/doobies but they take a long time to straighten it out. I did something last night that actually worked for me - it involves very gentle/coolish use of a blowdryer (gasp :)).

I washed my hair as usual and let it air dry completely only finger combing (added heat protection to be on the safe side). When it was totally dry I added mousse - the mousse I used is non sticky and claims to be moisturising. I then got the hairdryer (remember on cool. My cool setting is not cold but a mere hint of warmth and the dryer was on low blow setting too) and a large round bbb and straightened it all out (in sections).

My thought would be that because I am straightening my hair when dry rather than wet that it would be far more gentle - its the mousse that helps with the styling. It looked good straight but bouncy with body, much better look than the poker straight flat iron look.

What do you think? Please feel free to tell it to me straight (no pun intended) but bear in mind my hair is driving me nuts and I need something to help me to apl. ;)

TIA

Fethenwen
January 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I don't think it sounds that damaging really, I also find that kind of styling very nice on shorter hair. I did that also when my hair was shorter about collarbone, and it turned out really nice and bouncy.

The only thing that sounds a tiny bit damaging is using mousse and then brushing, it might cause some damage. But as your mouse is both non-sticky and moisturising, maybe it isn't that bad at all.

I'm sure when your hair gets longer you might get away with less styling, as the hair tends to fall more nicely into shape itself :)

Tiina
January 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Some people find that using a BBB causes damage and breakage on their hair. I'm not sure if using mousse and brushing is good either. Mousses containing alcohol can be drying but if yours doesn't have it, it might be okay. I personally would use another method like wrapping to be on the safe side. In any case, if you don't start to see any problems go ahead and do it.

And if you're bored of ponytails, have you tried french twists or peacock twists? Your hair should be long enough for them and in my opinion peacock twists look great on wavy/wurly hair.

Anywhere
January 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I think its less damaging than a flat iron. It won't be completely damage free (but then again nothing is:rolleyes:) so do it if you like.

alwayssmiling
January 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Just checked the can of mousse and I can't see any alcohol in the ingredients. Maybe I could substitute this method for nights out instead of the flat iron, and persevere with wrapping for everyday.

Tiina, I'll definitely look up the twists you mentioned thanks

Sheltie_Momma
January 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
At the length you are at - I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just pay attention to the ends and if they seem to be unhappy then stop, trim and adjust your method. I mean you have to like it, you know? I think peacocks with flexi-8's would be really pretty at this length!

boudica
January 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
You look like you're at a length where you can begin to French braid...can you?

LaurelSpring
January 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM
There are going to be awkward stages but they will pass. Just remember that whatever you do to your hair now will be your ends of tomorrow. I still occasionally use the blowdryer on the low and cool setting in the winter if necessary. I wouldnt use any products with alcohol but it is important to like your hair and feel good about it at different stages also. Experimenting with some updos and different sort of clips and things may help. Hang in there. It will be worth it in the long run!

alwayssmiling
January 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
You look like you're at a length where you can begin to French braid...can you?

I love french braids, that would look lovely in the spring but find them impossible to do, I feel like I need more fingers. My mum can do them - I might get her to do a tutorial :).