PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a hair rut?!

Barniie
January 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM
My hair is just feeling blah.

blah.blah.blah.

When I wash it, it feels super dry, so I apply coconut oil, but to no avail!
It feels kind of like rubber, grippy and gooey. It is dry, flat, dull, grippy, gooey elastic.

So my question is - WHAT DO I DOOOOOO?!?!?!''

Protein, moisture, what?

Anny suggestions. Can you be 'deficient' in both protein AND moisture? :( :confused:

milagro
January 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I suggest clarifying first and then see. It may be just a buildup (oils can buildup too).

Tiina
January 19th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Sounds like mine when I use too hard a shampoo. Try switching products.

Barniie
January 19th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Mmmm, I will try a clarify, but I just recently did one...

enfys
January 19th, 2011, 01:28 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Maybe try what they say in here? If you conditoned after clarifying you wouldn't have seen what your hair's state itself was.

milagro
January 19th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Mmmm, I will try a clarify, but I just recently did one...
Too much clarifying may be bad for hair. I just suggested 'cause it seems like a buildup but if you did that recently the problem is likely somewhere else.

Phalaenopsis
January 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63294

Here's a support thread for people who are stuck in a rut :)

Fethenwen
January 19th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Ugh, I'm stuck in a rut too.

My hair felt buildupp'y, so I clarified. Then it went crazy dry and my scalp was on fire. SMT. It got a little better but felt a little crunchy. Then I did heavy oiling which made it really soft, but the next day I washed it with herbs and forgot it for way too long on my hair which made my hair too dry again, now it's a frizzy mess :justy: I hate when this happens!

Normally if I find myself in this kind of circle I usually give up and do nothing to my hair for a few days, and I only use water for cleansing. That and gentle brushing usually brings everything back to normal. So this is what I will do now too.

Maybe giving your hair a break might help? Or a protein treatment.

Barniie
January 19th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Mmm... I think i will try. Clarify/ cone free shampoo. SMT with a shampoo and rinse and no conditioner. How does that sound? Thanks guys!!

jojo
January 19th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Maybe coconut oil isnt the best for your hair; ive recently switched to EVOO and the difference is amazing. How did you oil on wet, damp or dry hair? try the EVOO on dry only a small bit and see if you get any difference.

spidermom
January 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My hair has been blah lately too. I comb one side and by the time I'm finished with the other side, the first side is all tangly again. I tried clarifying, etc, blah-blah-blah - my hair that is. Still blah.

LaurelSpring
January 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I have found a pattern of getting blah and rutty right before a growth spurt. Just hang in there and see what happens. Try to put it up and forget it for awhile and see if it settles. I am very blah right now due to winter. Its hard to get excited when I cant do as many creative things or use my toys as much as I would like. My ends are attracting fuzz balls like crazy!

Fethenwen
January 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Waah! :wail: My hair is not only tangly and blah, I just found out I have a terrible outbreak of dandruff! Now what the... I wonder if I should try and wash it again? I washed it yesterday so it might not be the best idea, but my head is starting to itch.

OperaTeacherMom
January 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Try ktani's move star shampoo with coconut oil as detailed in the crazy long thread over in the Recipes and Henna part of the forum :) Nothing like a good experiment to break out of blah-land!

Fethenwen
January 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
^ I agree that a oil shampoo might do the trick.
---

I just got my hair very nice again, I washed it it herbal infused shampoo followed ACV rinse and by some Fox's shea conditioning cream. It's like my hair and scalp sighed with relief. :)

I really do wonder what went wrong in the first place.

Barniie
January 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
My hair is worse! It feels grippy and elasticy, like it is a bit wet. i think in need protein, do you guys have any protein mask recipes or such? Thanks!

jaine
January 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
My hair felt like that too and I got a humidifier and then it felt better literally the next day. Winter + heating can really suck all the moisture out of the air. Is it winter where you are?

Barniie
January 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
nup, middle of summer here in good ol' aus! But our summers are pretty harsh (as you have probably worked out). For example, on the last day of 2010 i think, it was 38 degrees celsuis. I don't know that is farenheit. But it's hot. very, very hot.