PDA

View Full Version : EVOO V coconut oil

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
OK ive started using EVOO in place of coconut oil and so far I am loving it. Now I understand coconut oil penetrates the hair but when I used it, it never completely soaked into my hair, however using the same amount of EVOO over night and it soaks right into my hair and makes my hair feel like when its been washed with cones. My hair is wavy and I wouldn't describe it as dry or greasy just normal; the only time it goes greasy is if I dont wash it for like 9 days.

Anyway, I think ive found my ideal oil, albeit a heavy oil which sunrises me as my hair isnt particularly dry, but it is prone to breakage due to being fine.

Anybody else find their hair totally contradicts the "hair rules" as in lighter oils for finer hair, heavier oils for drier, curlier hair.:confused:

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
My hair is kind of fine, but also kind of curly. It likes both oils but it prefers EVOO. Coconut Oil makes it look greasier than EVOO for some reason.

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yes thats what ive noticed too, much less greasy with EVOO, my hair is getting more wavy as it gets longer, I wonder if this is why it needs the extra moisture EVOO provides. Have you tried it on your nails and skin? my nails are growing like weeds and makes a great face moisturiser.

x0h_bother
January 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
No, I don't do well with EVOO but I think with my hair type I should. My hair does not like being weighed down and that's what EVOO does to mine.

Shicurls
January 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM
What an interesting topic! I've been wondering this myself in regards to my hair! I find that Coconut Oil, when applied to my hair dry, is great for making my hair more oily. Which is good as a pre-shampoo treatment or when my hair is super frizzy. I love that oil.

That being said, I've found that Olive Oil actually absorbs more into my hair, thereby leaving it super soft and shiny. I can use that after I wash my hair, while it's still damp. I do have curly hair, but it is fine to medium and low to normal porosity.

I have been wondering if porosity has anything to do with it. :shrug: I also use grapeseed oil a bit like I would a shine serum. That oil definitely does not absorb into my hair, but it does leave a high sheen!

Oh, and I thought I had read somewhere that Olive Oil and Coconut Oil both absorb into the hair. I could be wrong. :)

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have always oiled on wet hair but I am finding EVOO does better on dry hair; I am thinking too it penetrates the hair shaft. I can't get over how by morning it is near enough absorbed.

LocustSpawning
January 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah.. I really don't like coconut oil.

Olive oil is like a miracle for me though.

honeyblonde
January 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
My hair LOVES EVOO!!!! I have tried all kinds of oils, EVOO is the only oil for me!!! :o My hair is straight and fine!! Great thread!!!!

Lianna
January 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I do way better with EVOO, and coconut isn't the only oil that penetrates. So does olive and avocado, I think. I'm one of those that gets crunchy dry ends with coconut oil. About being heavy, I have a lot of fine hairs but a lot of it, so isn't too heavy for me. :)

I have tried A LOT of oils, in my culture is pretty common to use oils as hair/skin care, I can find it easily. Olive oil is the winner, my hair is MUCH softer with it! :D My top 3 are olive, carrot and grapeseed.

ddiana1979
January 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My hair "didn't like" coconut oil as a deep oiling treatment, but it's loving the small amount used in the Movie Star Shampoo!

moonlight
January 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hmmm....I've never tried EVOO on my hair, but lately I'm not feeling the love with coconut oil (seems to happen every winter). I think I'll just go get the EVOO from my kitchen... :)

SheaLynne
January 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I've learned to switch up which I use. EVOO makes my hair look oily (I'm just wavy), but I love to use it for a pre-wash deep oiling. On my dd, who has curly hair (I think probably at least 2b/3a?), EVOO is the only thing I use on hers, along with conditioner as leave in. It works great!

jel
January 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I used to love EVOO, both as a leave-in and as heavy pre-wash oiling. Coconut oil used to leave my ends crunchy, and my scalp too greasy.

However, in the last month or so I have been using the oil shampoo method (coconut oil mixed with plain shampoo, followed with an acid rinse) and my hair feels great! No in-between oilings either... Can't explain it (but Ktani's huge thread on the recipes board probably can ;) )

rose.grace
January 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you for this thread. It's great to know so many of you like it. I was starting to feel not quite 'up to snuff' because I don't have any coconut oil. I tried to get some once but the "nature" store here was out of it and I haven't got the chance to get back there yet. All I have right now is evoo. All this time I thought I was missing out on something but since finding this thread, now I think evoo is just fine and I'll keep using it. But it only seems to work if I put it on my hair just before I wash it. I tried the after-washing on damp hair and one time it was nice, the next time wasn't pretty.

serious
January 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah.. I really don't like coconut oil.

Olive oil is like a miracle for me though.

Same here!

Cupofmilk
January 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
is EVOO - extra virgin olive oil? If so I met a lady with calf length+ hair in amazing condition - all she put down to olive oil - she said it really penetrates the hair.

Honestwitness
January 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I like EVOO a lot. I have tried both coconut oil and EVOO mixed with several different shampoos and I like EVOO best for that use. I also like it because it's the same consistency year around. The coconut oil gets so hard in winter that it's hard to dig it out of the jar. But sometimes I use it anyway, just so I can smell something tropical on a dreary winter day.

JaneinMarch
January 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I would think with my prone to dryness hair that jojoba would work, but it never does. I like both coconut and olive oil. I usually use coconut oil for pre- wash and a couple of drops of olive oil after the wash. My hair is pretty short now, so I don't have to use much. Actually, when it was past shoulder, I didn't have to use much more than I do now.

Tia2010
January 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I love both coconut and olive oil !

For me the coconut oil seems to work best when I use it on damp hair and the olive oil ( just a few drops !) works better when I use it on dry hair . :D I find both soak in well if I don't use to much ( which I tend to do at times :p). I also love Olive oil as a deep treatment ! It makes my hair very soft and manageable.

spidermom
January 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
My hair responds favorably to olive oil as well, but I don't like the scent of it, so I stick to coconut oil, which my hair also responds favorably to as a pre-wash treatment or an oil shampoo (a.k.a. movie star shampoo).

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I have to agree the smell is not nice; pre oil shampoos are lovely!

pepperminttea
January 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I like coconut oil for overnight treatments, but if I have a busy day and have to leave it in for longer, it gives me crunchy ends - a problem I've never had with olive oil.

That said, the movie star shampoo with coconut oil? My hair can't get enough of it. :cloud9:

Haecceity
March 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
My hair responds favorably to olive oil as well, but I don't like the scent of it [...].

Ditto! Perhaps the extra light EVOO would be worth a try (I have not yet tried this myself)?

islandboo
March 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
I use a mix of 2 parts coconut oil to one part EVOO - I first tried it to help keep the coconut oil from solidifying and my hair seems to like it.

MissEarlGrey
March 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I always thought that Coconut was the way to go, and I used it for months, but then I started using Jojoba and it was love at first sight. My hair was thick, moisturized, and shiny. The Coconut oil always made it limp and frizzy. Everybody's different.

Belisarius
March 4th, 2011, 02:53 AM
OK ive started using EVOO in place of coconut oil and so far I am loving it. Now I understand coconut oil penetrates the hair but when I used it, it never completely soaked into my hair, however using the same amount of EVOO over night and it soaks right into my hair and makes my hair feel like when its been washed with cones. My hair is wavy and I wouldn't describe it as dry or greasy just normal; the only time it goes greasy is if I dont wash it for like 9 days.

Anyway, I think ive found my ideal oil, albeit a heavy oil which sunrises me as my hair isnt particularly dry, but it is prone to breakage due to being fine.

Anybody else find their hair totally contradicts the "hair rules" as in lighter oils for finer hair, heavier oils for drier, curlier hair.:confused:
Oh yes, i like EVOO much more than coconut oil.

McFearless
March 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
If I'm going out in the winter I don't use coconut oil because it goes solid in the jar when it is cold, and therefore freezes in my hair and makes it stiff. EVOO is so rich and makes my hair soft.