PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this really works!

Sibbogno
January 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Over the weekend, I tried something a new way to wash my hair - I'm liking it!

I woke up Saturday morning and put a tiny bit of coconut oil on my hair from about earlobes down, clipped it up, and let it "soak" all day. I usually shy away from using any kind of conditioner/oil/lotion on myself at all, so it was a challenge to get over the *ick* factor. I guess, in my little brain, moisturized = greasy/dirty. :shrug:
After the oil had sat all day on what I'd like to call my length :rolleyes:, I hopped in the shower, washed my scalp really well with a non-'cone shampoo, did the baking soda to get rid of buildup from the gel mist I use almost every day, and an ACV rinse.
I squished as much water as I could out of my hair, put a tiny bit more coconut oil on it, and pinned it up to dry. Usually I use a blowdryer since my hair is almost curly around my hairline and it drives my crazy!
I took my hair down after 2-3 hours and let it finish drying down.

Let me tell you, I was SHOCKED to look at it and touch it! It was so soft and shiny!! :cheese: I took a couple of pictures of it - I know I don't have any "before" photos for you all to compare it to, but it is just amazing how much difference it made!! I'm a little embarrassed by the incredible shortness of it, but we all have to start somewhere, right? :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/fjhrpx.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ij3nnt.jpg

turquoisebud
January 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Looks good! :) Don't be embarrassed, everyone starts somewhere. :o

einna
January 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Looks good :) Moisture is most often a good thing.
And I love the "bad face day! Hahhaha.

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Yay for you for getting out of your comfort zone to find something that works! Yay for happy hair!:cheese:

Tressie
January 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
It looks lovely! I'm glad you found a routine that makes you and your hair happy!

HairFaerie
January 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Very nice!
On a side note....it appears that you & I have similar hair except mine might be a tad more wavy! :)

Sibbogno
January 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Aww...thanks for the nice words everyone! Yes, it was really waaaay far outside my comfort zone, but I'm glad I did it. :D I have ultra oily hair and skin, so normally I can't stand anything like conditioner or lotion. I want so bad to quit using a blowdryer, but I have to shower every morning. If I wash my hair at night, it honestly looks quite stringy at the roots by morning (or the end of the day, for that matter) and I don't really have enough hair to put up yet. :( BUT, I'm hoping that here I can learn how to deal with the oiliness and be able to shower at night so I don't need to blowdry! :pray: Advice, anyone? :eyebrows:

Very nice!
On a side note....it appears that you & I have similar hair except mine might be a tad more wavy! :)

It does, doesn't it? :D Your hair is such a gorgeous color, though, and I'd love to have those waves! Ah, but I'm slowly learning to work with what I've got. ;)

virgo75
January 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on finding something that works for you! :cheese:

Your hair looks healthy and shiny, nothing to be embarassed about. ;)

HairFaerie
January 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
It does, doesn't it? :D Your hair is such a gorgeous color, though, and I'd love to have those waves! Ah, but I'm slowly learning to work with what I've got. ;)

There's some days I wish I didn't have the waves...I can do without that "flippy" look, especially when they don't want to behave!

You'd be surprised that sometimes when experimenting with a different routine or oils, etc. your hair actually changes. When I had longer hair before, it was quite damaged and I didn't take as good of care of it as I do now and the waves were almost non-existent! Now, since I am re-growing from short hair, I started experimenting with different things in order to find out what is best for my hair, it took on a whole new character! :) I was always apprehensive in using honey in my recipes but one day I figured "What's the worst that could happen?" I was out of my comfort zone but it turns out my hair LOVES it!

So, don't be afraid! You never know what you might discover!