PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand it

Tiina
January 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Recently my hair has started to hold curl/waves very well. Even if my hair is completely dry when I put it in a braid or bun it always comes out as a mess of waves. I especially hate it when I wash my hair in the evening and damp bun it for the night and in the morning it comes out flat on top and mad curly at the bottom. And I've become so accustomed to not sleeping on my hair that I can't have it any other way. It wouldn't be so bad if the curl didn't end up so big but it basically surrounds my shoulders and completely hides my neck. Multiple buns make me feel uncomfortable. Braidwaves are just as bad because even after significant trims I have some layers that force me into having a long tassel. So flat on top, huge wave in the middle and straight again on the bottom.

The only time I feel good about wearing my hair down now is right after showering and that is not what I want. I want to just... kind of flaunt it sometimes, if you know what I mean. I hope when my hair grows longer it will not seem as bad.

*rant over, thank you for reading*

embee
January 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Wow. I am just about eaten up with envy! I have had stick straight fine thin hair all my life and cannot even imagine suddenly finding great big waves and curls. How beautiful it must be! :)

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I really wish this "problem" had come *my* way!

cataphract
January 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Your hair didn't used to hold bun/braid waves? Lucky! :)

My hair has always been very eager to take on the shape of whatever I do to it. Even bobby pins and barrettes leave dents in my dry hair.

rose.grace
January 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you don't mind having "stuff" in your hair, you might want to experiment with sea salt spray. I love what it does (my hair sounds like yours, I've dubbed it wurly --since I found out -- I think-- what wurly is). It's pretty cool but I have a problem having anything in my hair but air. To make it, you put some distilled water, sea salt and some nice EO (I like lavendar or tea tree) and a little bit of one of the oils ladies around here use like jojoba or coconut or evoo) and shake it up. After shampooing, while it's still damp, spritz your hair with it. Scrunch it at the roots and ends and let it air dry.

If you try it, let me know your results. Try to enjoy your hair (I know sometimes it's hard). As embee said, many women would love to have your "problem".

Good luck! :)

spidermom
January 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Learn to dutch or french braid, then the waves will come all the way from the top. You can braid all the way to the ends (even though pieces stick out), then wrap the end of the braid with an inch or two of ribbon and put your hair-tie over that. And then you will have braid waves from scalp to ends!

missfortune9335
January 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
My hair has always been very eager to take on the shape of whatever I do to it. Even bobby pins and barrettes leave dents in my dry hair.

Ditto. I braid my hair for bed alot, but I also usually wear my hair up during the day so the crazy waves aren't an issue. If I plan to wear my hair down the next day, I just wear it loose to bed. I have a satin pillowcase to prevent damage.

turquoisebud
January 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Did you just describe my hair? :gabigrin: It does exactly the same thing! I were my hair up all the time so it really doesn't matter that much though. Maybe try french braiding like at of people have said.

ChatNoir
January 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Learn to dutch or french braid, then the waves will come all the way from the top. You can braid all the way to the ends (even though pieces stick out), then wrap the end of the braid with an inch or two of ribbon and put your hair-tie over that. And then you will have braid waves from scalp to ends!

THIS has saved me sooo many times! I absolutely adore Dutch braiding!:cheese:

teela1978
January 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I have the same problem. Certain buns give lovely waves, others not so much. Lightly moistening my hair helps a bit (like a quick spray) to get rid of that sorta thing... sometimes they're very resistant and need to be washed out though. Perhaps a quick spritz and comb out in the morning would help some?

TiaKitty
January 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I agree with French braids. If you do two, and start at the forehead and go backwards all the way to the tips, you'll have this massive mane like a lion's when they come out! Very cool...

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Funny.. I find that lazy wrap buns leave my hair mostly straight when done on dry hair. I second/third/forth the french or dutch braiding. or you could always try pineappling your hair? I know its more a curly hair thing but it would keep your hair up above your head while you sleep and it wouldn't be in a style that would cause waves when you take it down.

teela1978
January 18th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Am I the only one who hates braid waves? I can't ever braid close enough to the ends so there's 2-3 inches of straight at the tips. I much prefer bun waves.

eternallyverdan
January 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Have you tried a sleep cap? It might keep your hair out of the way without curling it, if you were careful about the way you put it up.

Tiina
January 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM
embee, it's a blessing and a curse so to say. Spidermom, I hadn't thought of using a ribbon before. Will give it a try. Thanks. teela1978, you are definitely not alone but to be honest I don't like any sort of wave or curl in my hair. Straight suits me best. If I had to choose, tho, I would also prefer bunwaves to braidwaves. eternallyverdan, I hope its not a stupid question but how do you put hair under a sleeping cap? I've triedd wrapping and pineappling before but my scalp doesn't like it when I put my hair at very odd angles.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! :)

Zefyra
April 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have the same problem as OP.. I love braid waves.. But i dont have enough hair yet to get decent braid waves... Its just.. POOF atm.

And this may be a newb question, but whats pineappling?

AnqeIicDemise
April 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
You can always French or Dutch braid as far as you can go, then rag curl the tassels.

MeganE
April 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Spidermom, I love this tip about getting braidwaves to the ends! I'm definitely going to try it. :)

And this may be a newb question, but whats pineappling?

I want to know too!

embee, it's a blessing and a curse so to say. Spidermom, I hadn't thought of using a ribbon before. Will give it a try. Thanks. teela1978, you are definitely not alone but to be honest I don't like any sort of wave or curl in my hair. Straight suits me best. If I had to choose, tho, I would also prefer bunwaves to braidwaves. eternallyverdan, I hope its not a stupid question but how do you put hair under a sleeping cap? I've triedd wrapping and pineappling before but my scalp doesn't like it when I put my hair at very odd angles.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! :)

I was going to suggest a sleepcap, too, but eternallyverdan got there first. :) I tend to sort of wad my hair up, before I put it in the sleep cap. You can always wrap it into a bun, and then put it in the cap. Sleep caps are made sort of like shower caps, so there's a lot of room in there. And the hair won't stay in any particular shape, you just have to make sure you've tucked it all in there. It took a couple nights to get used to the elastic around my head, but now I find it very comfortable to sleep in. More so than with my hair loose and all over the place, getting knotted and underneath me.