PDA

View Full Version : Henna for hair health, not coloring

Kaya
January 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
If there is already a thread about this, I apologize! :o

I was wondering. It seems like henna is very popular for coloring and at the same time, leaving hair thick and healthy.
My question is, can you use henna just for the hair benefits, not for coloring? I have no desire to color my hair. Is there a henna that can be used that doesn't affect hair color? :ponder:

Alvrodul
January 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
If you use henna on your hair, it will turn red. But you can use cassia, which has much of the same effects - shiny hair and such - but won't cause much of a color change. Cassia gives a yellow color, so unless you have very light hair, using it won't be very obvious.
There is moe information in the section on Recipes, Henna and herbal haircare.

enfys
January 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
If there is already a thread about this, I apologize! :o

I was wondering. It seems like henna is very popular for coloring and at the same time, leaving hair thick and healthy.
My question is, can you use henna just for the hair benefits, not for coloring? I have no desire to color my hair. Is there a henna that can be used that doesn't affect hair color? :ponder:

No. It won't be henna if it doesn't dye.;)

Cassia has similar properites to henna but isn't permanent and doesn't colour unless you have very fair hair.

There should be lots of threads in the herbal section to help you.

cataphract
January 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I just tried Zisyphus Spina Christi, which is kind of like Cassia and Henna, but is purported to have even less of a color impact, especially with lighter colored hair. You might try looking that one up also.

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I think if hair is very dark naturally say black, you would only get a red shine in the sun, but not 100% sure on that but cassia as others have mentioned does the same by means of adding condition and shine

Annalouise
January 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I sometimes use henna in my washes. I mix reetha and henna to make a gravy and put it in my hair and then rinse out. Since I don't wait for the henna to release its dye and sinse I don't leave it on my hair for more than 10 minutes it doesn't color my hair.:) It makes it clean and shiny.