PDA

View Full Version : Aren't coarse hair supposed to be strong ?

Aeltt
January 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
So most of my hair is coarse, not soft, not slippery, and THICK.
I can deal with it, the problem is that there are strands which do not have the same thickness along the length and they tend to break off on the thinnest part.. (there isn't white dots)
or sometimes the coarse hair is divided in two normal hair in the middle of the strand and goes back in one coarse hair (do i even make sense..? xD) or it forms a split (like this (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f79Txcniat4/TDKYOY7P9cI/AAAAAAAAAF0/0DwXQdrKVbo/s1600/DSC_0004.JPG).. not as much but you get the idea).

I don't think it's because of damage : i'm gentle with my hair, wear it up most of the time, don't use chemicals or heat...
But the thickest strands keep breaking off !

Is it a normal thing for coarse hair ? A protein problem maybe (too much or not enough) ?
..Is there anything i can do to avoid this breakage ?

Sanyia
January 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Breakage like that might be protein. Try to clarify, then moisturize a lot and stay away from protein/panthenol etc. Oiling helps too...

little_cherry
January 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
The split hair picture is most definitely split hair..I used to have these, but they never showed up until months after I stopped heat styling and taking care of my hair...most damage does not appear immediately. Eventually, all the entire hair strands would split up and down the hair shaft.

Give clarifying, a protein treatment and then a moisture treatment a go. Looks like your hair may need a little more protein. Most people like to follow protein treatments with a moisture treatment since protein can make hair feel brittle (even when it isn't).

Protein overload won't cause weak hair. It will give the illusion of dry hair, but it is just really coated.

jeanniet
January 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have semi-coarse, thick hair and I get the split in the middle of the shaft, too, although usually near the end. I don't get a lot of splits, but I do get those weakened areas at the ends where you can bend the hair to 90 degrees and those will break off easily. When I S & D that's mostly what I'm looking for.

I try to avoid protein, but if I buy a product with protein in it I don't worry too much since I'm always working on getting more moisture into my hair. I think moisture is what you need. Try doing a clarifying wash, and then use oil and do a deep treatment once a week.

Aeltt
January 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Thank you for your answers, i'll try clarifying and moisture. I already use oils (coconut, avocado, shea butter, cacao butter..) and often do deep treatments.
But i just realised i use a serum with hydrolysed corn, wheat and soy protein. 'Might be the culprit... :)