PDA

View Full Version : Help! Having a Cone Issue!

Kaya
January 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think this may be more of a mind thing. Since I joined the community, I"ve switched to CO washing, with weekly CWC with heavy oilings. I raked through my hair care collection and chucked out any harsh detergent shampoos along with the majority of my cone products. So now, the only cones that I use regularly are my Aussie Cleanse + Mend conditioner, GF Triple Nutrition shampoo, and Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in Conditioner Spray. I normally use the leave-in spray on just my braid tassel after towel-drying.
Now, my hair seems pretty mellow when it comes to what it likes. It seems to do fine whether I'm using cones or not. Granted, it seems a little more manageable and silky when I use cones, but even with my V05 conditioner, my hair is soft, manageable and I can use my daily oiling to achieve a silky, smooth finish.
The issue I'm having is that when I use, say, my Aussie Cleanse + Mend, I feel this sudden urge to clarify my hair the next day to get rid of the cones. Like I don't want the cones in my hair, even though my hair doesn't protest. It's like the idea of having cones coating my hair has me uneasy. It only really hits me when I'm applying the conditioner, and then when I go to shower the next day. I'm generally fine once I've decided to use cones, but when it comes to the next shower, I prefer to use a non-cone product so not to create too much build-up. And then I'm always relieved to do my weekly clarifying cause I can wash out all that gunk. I know, minimal use of cones won't create that much build-up, but I still enjoy the idea of clean, cone-free hair.
Has anyone else experienced this or am I just weird? :crazyq:

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I experience this every time I use cones.

I'm trying to let myself realize that one time won't cause enough build up to severely bother my hair and that shampooing does more damage than leaving the cones in (for me). Oh, the joys of knowledge. :rolleyes:

GlassWidow
January 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Oh, the joys of knowledge. :rolleyes:

This. Sometimes it's nice to be ignorant, just because it's less worry.

I almost feel guilty when I use cones, but my hair doesn't take lightly to going cold turkey. I keep telling myself that many things are fine in moderation. :)

ravenreed
January 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
There is nothing bad about cones and unless you have buildup, no reason to panic. Even if you get buildup, it is simple enough to take care of. Just clarify and you are good to go again. I don't use cones at all and I still get buildup. I just recognize that I will have to clarify every 3 - 6 weeks, just because.

rose.grace
January 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yes! You are not alone. I could have written your post, changing the names of the "cone" products.

I've finally decided to just shampoo about every five days or so (whenever it feels like it needs it) with clarifying shampoo (which unfortunately gives me the same anxiety because of SLS), or my peppermint liquid castile soap--which I love--, or some soda water and let the natural oils be my conditioner because that feeling that, "I've got to get this stuff off my hair!" is constant. Plus, my hair really doesn't like conditioner of any kind. Last time I washed it I oiled it a little while damp and I like the results a lot.

I can almost hear my hair's gasp and death rattle whenever I use cones or leave-in or anything 'unnatural'. My dream is to be WO, but have trouble staying with it for long because of the greasy looking stage and mine isn't long enough to braid decently yet. Plus, I have hard water where I live and can't always use distilled water to final rinse with. It's cold and icy and snowy and I don't want to walk to the store when I run out.

Add to that, the light roots growing out henna and it looks like I'm going bald when it gets greasy, no matter how I wear it. So, WO is my goal for my peace of mind.

spidermom
January 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
It would be impossible to get a coating of cones on each and every hair unless every product that you use contains cones and you've never ever, not even once, clarified. So relax! Such products are partially removed from tossing around on your pillow, combing/brushing your hair, of course washing, and a lot of it evaporates before your hair is dry.

I think of products as my friends (because they make my hair more manageable, less tangly, and define my curls/waves), not as something horrible that I have to remove. Maybe you can shift your mind-set.