PDA

View Full Version : Blow drying but cold

Yasmine91
January 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking about blow drying my hair for a night out but I'm worried about damaging my hair. Would I be able to get similar results with cold temperature on the dryer?

HairFaerie
January 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I use a blow dryer every day on "cool heat" and "low" settings. I live a cold climate and I simply cannot air dry in the winter because my house is very cold and it is super cold outside. I air dry the rest of the year though.

I am not saying it doesn't damage my hair at all, but I would rather blow dry on low and cool instead of freeze in the winter! It's a trade off I am willing to do.

I also use a curling iron once in a while when I feel like something different or when my "flippy things" are just too out of control. Again, I would rather be happy than worry about what kind of damage stuff is doing 24 hours a day. I try my best to take a lot of precautionary steps for my hair most of the time, but some things I will just do because I feel like it.

I certainly don't think that one day of blow drying your hair on cool and low setting will harm your hair that bad. But - that's just my opinion.

Sanyia
January 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think cool setting would cause any damage. Tangles, maybe, but not damage. Am I wrong? :confused:

GlassWidow
January 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
IMO, styling with the cool setting on the dryer is no worse than being outside on a windy day, especially if you are careful to blow from the roots down so that you don't rough up the hair cuticle. :shrug:

alwayssmiling
January 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I like my cool setting because its not "cold" but just a hint of warmth to get my hair dried without worrying about any considerable heat iyswim.

kwaniesiam
January 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
If you're wanting to blow dry to smooth and straighten your hair, you will need to use some heat. To just get it dry, you can use the cool setting with minimal damage, though you may not end up with the results you're expecting.

sparkle'n'bling
January 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I used to dry on a fairly hot setting, and my hair always looked really dried out afterwards. Now I dry on the cool setting and my hair feels and looks much better for it.
Using a cool setting will probably take a little longer to get it dry, but the results are worth it for me.