PDA

View Full Version : If oil blocks pores, how does it promote hair growth?

Dreamkitty
January 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Lots of hair oils are known to promote growth of hair by penetrating the scalp. But Ive heard that oils can block pores so if a pore is blocked wouldn't that actually lead to more hair loss?.

I started using pure castor oil on my skin (face) whilst it made my skin very soft, it made me break out a little. So I was wondering if pores are actually being blocked on the scalp when hair oil is used.

Im just trying to understand the concept of how oil promotes hair growth:)

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
well I'm not sure about most oils... I've never heard that oil promotes hair growth to be honest. I've found that coconut oil on my scalp gets rid of my flakes (it has some anti-something properties) which in turn leads to less hair falling out and more staying on my head. But I've always thought of oil as something to be put on the length of hair to reduce tangles and help soften/smooth down hair.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can answer your question better.

Panth
January 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I use coconut oil in the form of an oil shampoo mix for its detangling, shine-inducing and softness-inducing properties. Having been pottering around LHC for a couple of months now, I'm pretty sure castor oil is the only one purported to induce hair growth.

You'll have to wait for someone else to explain how that one works as I've never really read into it.

SilvraShadows
January 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Good question. And I am far from knowing the answer, but I would think that oils such as mineral oil will block pores, and oils such as olive or jojoba would penetrate... jojoba for instance actually is a wax ester, most similar to our own skin oil, sebum. But like excess skin oil, leaving it on your skin can create problems. At least on my own, it does.

I think it is a fine balance for us with oily skin. I need to blot or rinse often to keep my skin clear. Over washing causes problems too!

I use olive oil, just a scant amount, on my face. It softens and feels much better than the jojoba oil does.

There are also a few essential oils that have been touted as helping with hair growth... I don't know about this. In my personal experience I have not seen it. But none-the-less, I do believe essential oils do impart healing attributes and the correct base oil will help them to be absorbed fully without clogging the pores.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Oils used on the head to promote circulation of the scalp are used in combination with a washing method. If you oiled your scalp and didn't wash it then that would give you a build up which would clog your pores.

The oils are used theraputically because they either soften the scalp and help remove debri and the herbs in the oils are used for their theraputic properties. So when you oil your scalp you have to wash it to remove the oil and debris.

Its very important to keep your scalp and skin clean.

shikara
January 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yup, I believe it's just like annalouise says (and the other person who talked about castor oil). I did a little bit of research on castor oil before deciding to use it on my scalp. I don't choose to let it stay on overnight, as it has been suggested you can. I put a fair bit on, cover it, and apply some heat (like a 'sit under' hair dryer, or a hot wet towel has mentioned as a good method) for about 20 minutes, then I do my on the spot jogging - good for so many things, but also gets the blood moving. It's on for about an hour and a half, then I wash my hair. For me it washes out very well. I've only been doing this for a few weeks but am curious to see results, which usually are more visible after about 3 months of using. My research supports annalouise that it is only when not washed off that it will clog the pores.

spidermom
January 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It depends on who you trust for advice. I believe that oil or conditioner on your scalp is a bad thing UNLESS you have a very dry scalp; information I found on-line. I've also found the opposite information on-line, but it was usually associated with a product the web site wanted people to buy. I trust advice less if it's attached to a product.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
It depends on who you trust for advice. I believe that oil or conditioner on your scalp is a bad thing UNLESS you have a very dry scalp; information I found on-line. I've also found the opposite information on-line, but it was usually associated with a product the web site wanted people to buy. I trust advice less if it's attached to a product.

Hi Spidermom, I was wondering if you have a source for the information that says that oil on the scalp is bad? I have not heard that.

Slug Yoga
January 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Good question. And I am far from knowing the answer, but I would think that oils such as mineral oil will block pores, and oils such as olive or jojoba would penetrate... jojoba for instance actually is a wax ester, most similar to our own skin oil, sebum. But like excess skin oil, leaving it on your skin can create problems. At least on my own, it does.

Actually, mineral oil is supposedly very non-comedogenic (non-pore-clogging), as is petrolatum (what Vaseline is made of), even though it seems like a thick layer of Vaseline would be totally pore-clogging!

I was doing some research into oils to see what sort of natural things I could use on my face that wouldn't make me break out.

I found a couple of websites that list the comedogenicity of various cosmetics ingredients, including natural oils that LHCers often use:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter158.asp

There is some variation between these, and other lists (that you can compare by googling and such)... they might be the results of different studies, and/or different measurement scales. I think the second link above lists both the comedogenicity and how irritating the ingredients are.

And of course people's reactions will vary, and things that work well for some people may make others break out, and vice versa. But there seems to be general agreement on things, like that coconut oil is pretty comedogenic, and jojoba oil and castor oil aren't so much, etc. Not all oils are comedogenic (or some are less so than others).

I'm curious about the whole potential pore/follicle clogging thing too, though. I'm searching quickly right now for articles about this being connected to hair loss... I can't find any sites that say it DOES cause hair loss or hair thinning that seem to be very reputable (i.e. medical sites) or that give any citations for what they say, and I'm finding some sites saying that follicle clogging is not a cause of hair loss. (It would no doubt be an appealing answer, because you could actually do something about clogged pores--the main causes of hair loss seem to be things we can't control so easily, like

I use conditioners that are primarily coconut-oil-based, and I'm careful to rinse thoroughly and wash my whole body afterwards, with the idea that it might stop me from breaking out (on my face and body).

I'm not eager to get oil on my actual scalp because that means my hair will get greasy faster and I'll have to wash it more often. :) If there were some beneficial effects maybe I'd do it anyway, especially before washing.

RoseRed27
January 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think oils have gotten a bad reputation. There are so many "oil-free" products out there that many think oil is bad. I had the worst clogged pores a few years ago. Then I read an article on the benefits of oil cleansing and I thought "Yeeeaaah! I'm going to rub OIL on my OILY skin! Sure, THAT will fix it! :rolleyes:". And I ignored that advice for a year.

I tried every astringent, face wash, cream etc. My skin just got worse and I decided, "What do I have to lose?", and smeared my face with castor and jojoba oils, massaged it in and wiped gently with a warm cloth. The next morning, when I touched my face I was astonished. I looked at my skin and it was smooth and appeared pore less. And I did not break out! Actually the breakouts were greatly reduced. And my skin is not as oily, and is more balanced. When I wash my face, a few hours later, I no longer look like I rubbed my face with french fries! :D

Now, I've read that different oils work differently for different people, for instance too much olive oil may break one person out but not another. Some oils, like grapeseed oil, don't seem to break anyone out (perhaps it's just rare). I now add a bit of oil (castor, grapeseed, almond or jojoba) to my "Oil free" moisturizers, and sometimes I add a drop or two to my "Oil free" foundation! :p So many people ask me what I use on my face!

Since slathering it on my face doesn't clog my pores, I don't worry about putting it on my scalp. My hair has been better for it. And there is a big tradition of oiling the hair and scalp and leaving it on all day while one does chores and even leaving it on overnight. If you oil your hair and find that it blocks your pores, try another oil. If you've tried every oil and have found no benefit, then that's great. It means you have one less thing to buy! ;)

Arya
January 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I think oils have gotten a bad reputation. There are so many "oil-free" products out there that many think oil is bad. I had the worst clogged pores a few years ago. Then I read an article on the benefits of oil cleansing and I thought "Yeeeaaah! I'm going to rub OIL on my OILY skin! Sure, THAT will fix it! :rolleyes:". And I ignored that advice for a year.

I tried every astringent, face wash, cream etc. My skin just got worse and I decided, "What do I have to lose?", and smeared my face with castor and jojoba oils, massaged it in and wiped gently with a warm cloth. The next morning, when I touched my face I was astonished. I looked at my skin and it was smooth and appeared pore less. And I did not break out! Actually the breakouts were greatly reduced. And my skin is not as oily, and is more balanced. When I wash my face, a few hours later, I no longer look like I rubbed my face with french fries! :D

Now, I've read that different oils work differently for different people, for instance too much olive oil may break one person out but not another. Some oils, like grapeseed oil, don't seem to break anyone out (perhaps it's just rare). I now add a bit of oil (castor, grapeseed, almond or jojoba) to my "Oil free" moisturizers, and sometimes I add a drop or two to my "Oil free" foundation! :p So many people ask me what I use on my face!

Since slathering it on my face doesn't clog my pores, I don't worry about putting it on my scalp. My hair has been better for it. And there is a big tradition of oiling the hair and scalp and leaving it on all day while one does chores and even leaving it on overnight. If you oil your hair and find that it blocks your pores, try another oil. If you've tried every oil and have found no benefit, then that's great. It means you have one less thing to buy! ;)
I've been thinking about using this on my skin, but honestly my skin hates to be touched. If I do ANYTHING to it, it breaks out. It wants to be left alone to create blackheads in peace. The year I had the worst skin was when I was using proactive...my face was a battlefield. I just deal with the occassional white head, and fight blackheads with exfolation and dove soap twice a week in the shower. Other than that, I don't even rinse it. Sooo afraid to try this oil business.

milagro
January 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I've been thinking about using this on my skin, but honestly my skin hates to be touched. If I do ANYTHING to it, it breaks out. It wants to be left alone to create blackheads in peace. The year I had the worst skin was when I was using proactive...my face was a battlefield. I just deal with the occassional white head, and fight blackheads with exfolation and dove soap twice a week in the shower. Other than that, I don't even rinse it. Sooo afraid to try this oil business.
It's off topic but I can see in your av you have a fair skin and like many redhead's it must be also fine and sensitive. If that's correct I would advise against frequent exfoliation. First it makes your skin even finer and strips it of its natural protective mantle which results in irritation and flakes - and you will feel the need to exfoliate it again. Vicious circle. Second, skin like that may be prone to couperosis (broken capilaries and redness) and requires to be treated in gentlest way possible. And if you have any breakouts scrubbing or rubbing may spread infection further.
I have fine, fair and sensitive skin myself and I found exfolation about once in three month is enough. If skin's flakey it means it's dehydrated and needs to be moisturized, not scrubbed. Don't be afraid to use oils on your skin, they won't hurt unless you're allergic to some or use quite a lot. HTH

estherbeth
January 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM

I've been pondering on oil cleansing (with olive oil), but the thought makes me nervous. My face also likes to be left alone. Sometimes it's extremely oily, sometimes it's extremely dry. And I've never found a commercial cleanser or moisturizer that didn't make my skin freak out, so I just rinse with water when I get up in the morning and try to forget about it. In my mid-20s, I developed rosacea, and that adds a whooole 'nother PIA to it (what really frustrates me is that my skin was almost perfectly clear when I was a teenager! *sigh*) I tried dilted ACV for months, then Prosacea, and while neither actually hurt the rosacea, it didn't didn't help at all, either. Has anybody here with rosacea found really great results with oil cleansing?

jojo
January 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Ive used oils for nearly 3 years on my face and body as a moisturiser and I have found nothing but good results. I oil my scalp weekly mainly because in the past I have had psoriases of the scalp and since doing this have not had one outbreak.

Oil however does not increase hair growth, as hair is dead. Eating a balanced diet, keeping hydrated is what contributes to the quality of the hair you grow and a little (i think) of the speed. For example an anorexic living off say 100 calories a day is not going to produce thick, shiny hair as her body organs grab onto what little nutrition she ingests; the hair is so unimportant in relation to say the brain or heart. If she was to massage her scalp with oil, her hair is not going to look or grow any differently. Therefore its what you put in your body, rather than on your body (hair) which makes the difference.

jojo
January 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I've been pondering on oil cleansing (with olive oil), but the thought makes me nervous. My face also likes to be left alone. Sometimes it's extremely oily, sometimes it's extremely dry. And I've never found a commercial cleanser or moisturizer that didn't make my skin freak out, so I just rinse with water when I get up in the morning and try to forget about it. In my mid-20s, I developed rosacea, and that adds a whooole 'nother PIA to it (what really frustrates me is that my skin was almost perfectly clear when I was a teenager! *sigh*) I tried dilted ACV for months, then Prosacea, and while neither actually hurt the rosacea, it didn't didn't help at all, either. Has anybody here with rosacea found really great results with oil cleansing?

Olive oil is a wonderful moisturiser for the face and body; ive just moved onto EVOO from sweet almond and can see and feel the difference, i sound like a commercial:cheese:

RoseRed27
January 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
To estherbeth and Arya, I can definitely understand the hesitation! :p There are some really gentle oils that can work wonders. I suggest reading some reviews and recipes from those with a similar skin type. Some find castor oil to be too drying and others find olive oil too rich for the face and better suited for the body. If you have sensitive skin, I recommend a lighter oil, like jojoba or grapseed. Grapeseed is slightly "astringent". Different oils have so many different properties. Almost every blend has castor oil for a better cleansing. It can take a bit of experimentation to find the right blend. Or you may find that oil cleansing is not for you. But, from what I've seen, it works for most who try it.

I've seen an expensive high-end cosmetic brand come out with an "oil wash". It's basically oil cleansing for $40.-__- Yep, $40 for mineral oil. :rolleyes: (Mineral oil has it's uses, I'm not 100% anti mineral oil, but I am 100% anti $40 mineral oil) Sometimes the best things for skin are cheap and simple. Occasionally, when people ask me what I use on my face and I tell them "oil", they look at me like :suspect::bs: I've actually been accused of lying!^__^ I just tell them to google it. Didn't many grandmothers use cold cream on their face? Many of those creams were just an oil and water emulsion. Hmmm, once again Grandma knows best.

aenflex
January 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Mollecular weights and sizes and solubility determine what clogs pores, right?? Not simply the fact that it's oil. Many oils sink right in within moments. I use oils to wash my face and then to moisturize, and I never, ever have oily skin.

SilvraShadows
January 27th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Oils used on the head to promote circulation of the scalp are used in combination with a washing method. If you oiled your scalp and didn't wash it then that would give you a build up which would clog your pores.

The oils are used theraputically because they either soften the scalp and help remove debri and the herbs in the oils are used for their theraputic properties. So when you oil your scalp you have to wash it to remove the oil and debris.

Its very important to keep your scalp and skin clean.

That's it! And this method works the best for me. I don't leave oils on my scalp anymore... not like I did in my early LHC days. I used to leave my blends on overnight before I washed, but I would shed too much most of the time after I washed. For a few years now I have been using blends before I wash my hair, there is no excess shedding, and I have been having great results!

Annalouise, your explanation is perfect!

spidermom
January 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Spidermom, I was wondering if you have a source for the information that says that oil on the scalp is bad? I have not heard that.
I wish I could. I don't know how to attach links.

Malibu Barbie
January 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Years ago I worked for Godiva, I had a lady that came in every week and would order a lb. of oyster chocolates. She had tailbone length hair very blonde. Her skin was amazing. After a while of seeing her I asked her about her amazing skin and hair. First I about fell over when she told me she was 94. Then she told me she washed her skin twice a day with this oil solution that had been passed down through her family. She said she made sure she walked two miles a day and had a lb of chocolates every week and this kept her young. I wish I had her write the recipe down for me. I was 19 at the time and never thought of useing oils from the kitchen on my face but she swore by it.

rose.grace
January 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Oil is used for cleansing but it needs to be wiped off or shampooed out afterward so the dirt, etc. that's caught up in it, is washed away with it. Massaging with oil on your face, for instance is cleansing but it needs to be removed afterward. I don't put oil on my scalp or hair, just use it's natural sebum to moisturize and protect it. That takes a bit of daily attention to make sure it isn't just left to stagnate on the scalp because as is mentioned, it can definitely smother and clog pores and follicles.

As someone else said, I also have never heard that oil promotes hair growth unless you're thinking of some essence oils like lavender and tea tree oil, which stimulate the scalp when massaged into it, but they still should be removed after the massage IMO. I wouldn't leave them on forever.

I would love to hear more about "oyster" chocolates... I hope they're not what my imagination is running away from right now. lol

Malibu Barbie
January 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
They were a chocolate made to look like little oysters. There very rich! Kind of a hazelnut center with the oyster shells made of milk chocolate. I could only eat a few because they were so rich. She would eat the entire pound as she took her walk. But she loved them!!