PDA

View Full Version : Oiling ends = lots of split ends?

mustpannkook
January 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I started oiling the ends about a week ago and now when I look I see a lot of split ends. I didn't seem to have them before and I trimmed just about 2 weeks ago... Is the oil causing it? Other than that, I started taking vitamins but I think it can't be the reason. I'm really gentle with my hair (it's in a braid every day). Does someone have any idea that might've happened?

virgo75
January 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
What oil are you using?

Everybody's hair is different and it's possible that whatever oil you're using doesn't agree with your hair.

Anje
January 18th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Have you changed anything else in your routine (maybe stopped using silicones)? That can make a difference in how many splits are easily visible. Have you noticed increased tangling or anything like that since you started oiling? Because more tangles leading to more breakage is the only thing I can think that oil could possibly cause, especially in the short-term. Long-term, some oils like flax and sunflower can build up, which at least has the potential to cause damage (though I don't know if anyone has documented it happening).

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
it could be the scissors were dull.. or it could be that the oil and your hair don't get along. My hair collects dust easier when its oiled and therefore results in more tangles which could lead to more splits. Not sure if your hair does that too.

sedonia
January 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Have you changed anything else in your routine (maybe stopped using silicones)? That can make a difference in how many splits are easily visible.

This was my first thought. It seems unlikely that the oil has caused a lot of splits in a short period of time. The oil could make your hair more reflective and therefore the splits show up in certain lighting?

mustpannkook
January 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I haven't used silicones for over 2.5 years. I use olive oil (and I've used it almost as long as cone-free conditioners). The scissors I used are professional hair cutting scissors... Seems I have to do a lot of S&D!

Panth
January 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Dull scissors was my first thought too...