PDA

View Full Version : Q about static in cars

intothemist1999
June 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ok, I"m CONVINCED it's my truck that's been giving me grief where static is concerned. Once again, I left home looking "put together", but when I popped into the ladies' room before going on the floor, I looked like a wild woman!! :( Even the hair that had been pulled back managed to acquire some frizz.

I'm becoming convinced it has to do with the vehicle itself! I guess I should take hubby's into work for a few days and see what happens.

Is there some way to combat this? I don't get a problem with electric charge from the vehicle itself, except in dry, cold weather. I was wondering about those straps people attached to the underside of a vehicle to help those with travel sickness...it has something to with electrical charges, right, like it keeps the car grounded?

TIA!

young&reckless
June 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I always get shocked getting out og my truck (I'm short so I slide around as I drive sometimes), try static spray, found in the laundry section of a store, I spray my seats with it and it helps for a while.

Oh and always be carefull to discharge any static on something metal before pumping gas, even a small spark can send gas stations sky high. I use my keys as a discharge before I touch anything else.

Anje
June 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've got a staticky car -- always get shocked as I get out of it.

One thing to be aware of is how you get in and out of the seat. If you scootch across, you're more likely to have issues, of course. Watch your headrest, too -- it might not be static but the fabric rubbing at hairs and causing frizz (a silk/satin scarf tied on the rest could help that).

Oh, and I doubt you can ground yourself touching your keys.... Tap a metal pole that goes to the ground with a finger instead. The charge has to dissipate to the earth, after all.

angelthadiva
June 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Maybe the fabrics you are wearing, and the scootching across the seat are to blame...I don't have that problem in my car, but my chair at work is another story.

manderly
June 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
My Mom's car likes to electrocute me every time I get out of it.....*ZAP*

She has those furry velour seats. She also suspects she has a little short somewhere, but that sounds far off since I'm the only one who gets zapped.

My car has leather seats and I have never ever been zapped from it.

Solitude
June 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Static straps for car sickness? Hmm. Never heard of that before.

My car used to be static zapper galore. That's decreased after the I got rid of the OEM tires. As for the zap when leaving the car, that's still there sometimes. I just make sure I grab on to the frame of the car while stepping out of the car.

Not sure what to do with the hair static though. I don' t _think_ I've had that problem, but then I don't go looking at my hair (it's too messy most of the time). As long as it stays out of my face while I work, I don't much care what it's doing.

Sana
June 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Static straps?? never heard of one..lol! I would buy one if there was one. I mostly notice my hair frizz due to static in winter, specially when I let it lose. Rubbing my hair with fabric softener paper helped to some extent.

intothemist1999
June 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Static straps for car sickness? Hmm. Never heard of that before.

I think the proper name is ground strap. You can get them at auto supply places. You attach it under the car and touches the ground and it dissipates the static charge which is supposed to help with motion sickness.

Maybe they have ways to accomodate it with new cars, but if you look at the cars in traffic, you may notice some that have a thing hanging/dragging from under the car.