PDA

View Full Version : Need starting advice from fellow greasy 1A/Bs/F/ii's

Saeth
January 18th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I could have sworn I posted this last night but I don't know seeing as my net died as I hit the post button and I can't find anything!

Hello,

I've spent a good chunk of time browsing the forums and learning as much as I can about how to nurture long hair. Problem is I'm still feeling the need for some specific advice to kick start everything especially as I have very oily hair/skin. This has been a lifelong battle of mine. I wash it every day usually and have only ever found one walnut extract shampoo that made a difference. Sadly it was so loaded with chemicals my scalp revolted. On top of that we live in an area with very hard water (but shower filter is incoming!).

I have a sensitive very oily scalp which has meant I've had to swap to using natural shampoos etc now. My hair 1a-b/F/ii. It doesn't hold shape/volume/style easily and is quite flat at the roots. The ends seem to take a naturally straggly appearance pretty soon after brushing (grrr. Pictures linked below). I do try to take care of it (but after this forum reading this is being upgraded!)

So some questions

1) boar bristle brushes. Are they suitable for someone who suffers from a very greasy scalp? I have concerns it'll just make my hair look greasier, quicker.

2) How should I go about making sure my hair is conditioned/oiled enough for its type? I want to be sure it's protected etc enough without overloading my hair.

3) Any ideas of what treatments/rinses (well anything I guess) that could help settle the oil production down on my scalp/protect it from the hard water? I'm not happy about trying to skip washes, I'm self conscious enough without feeling even more grubby.

4) What about CO/CWCing with my type of hair?

5) I have thought about having some layers put in to add movement, maybe some volume and to stop it 'dragging' my face down too much (I don't have the 'suitable' face for long hair apparently, but you live once so it won't hurt to try it once!) but I wondering if this could harm my hair goal, especially with my type of hair? Is it something that can work with much longer hair? Is there anyone on the forums who has had this done? Could you recommend anything?

I'd like to try and improve the greasiness situation, and somehow introduce more volume and 'thickness'. If however this can't be done, I'd really appreciate advice on how to maintain an oily, sensitive scalp while maximising my chances of reaching my goal, hip length hair. Atm it looks quite lank due to shampoo changes etc. It really needs more vitality but my brain feels quite overloaded from all the info I've read. Help!

Ty :)

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/Invicta-Shay/023.jpg (back shot)
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/Invicta-Shay/035.jpg (front)

linnepinne
January 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hi Saeth!

I think you and I could almost be hair-twins! As far as texture anyway, your hair is alot longer than mine :)

I've only been growing my hair since july 2010, so I'm still figuring out my perfect routines and how to deal with my greasy roots. I have the exact same problem as you, except my scalp is not as sensitive to chemicals.

CO is definatley something for you to try out, I think. I've been doing it for more than 6 months now, and i find it to be a very gentle way to clean my hair and it never dries my scalp out.

The one thing so far that has made my greasies better, is streching my washes and trying to wash less often. It's horribly frustrating and it takes time, but it's worth it. Unfortunately for me, I messed it up and started washing to frequently again, and now I have to start over my streching. At it's best, I could go 4 days without washing. Now i'm back to super greasiness and have to wash every other day.

I also have problems with greasy skin and acne break outs. But then I stumbeled upon this method (from a thread here on LHC), called the Oil Cleansing Method: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
It's basically a method of deep clensing your skin using castor oil and olive oil. It works amazing for my face, so I decided to try it on my hair (not the hot water part), and yesterday I made my own conditioner and added in a little castor oil. I'm going to try it out in just a few minutes. I'm so exited to see if it has the same cleansing effect on my hair! :cheese:

And I would also like to give you a tip about the layers: Think hard and long before doing anything like that! We have almost the same texture and layers does nothing to my hair other than making it look and feel super thin and stringy! I'm working hard on trying to grow my layers out.
I would suggest maybe some soft side swept bangs instead, if you want to soften your face (I saw your pictures and you are gorgeous! And your hair is such a lovely colour :) Of course you face is siutable for long hair!), bangs, especially longer side swept ones, are an easy and not to drastic way to change your hairstyle. I like to cut mine in many different ways, since they grow out quite quickly :D

/Linnepinne

Kaeita
January 18th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I don't have the answers to your questions, sorry. I just wanted to say welcome, and that I think you look great with long hair, just as it is!

Phalaenopsis
January 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Just one thing: don't use the boar bristle brush on your hair, 'cause it will make your hair look like you've used way too much gel on your hair. BBBs just aren't made for greaseheads like us :)

COing also made my hair lank and my hair got more oily quicker

bumblebums
January 18th, 2011, 07:08 AM
First bit of advice: stop listening to whoever said your face is not "suitable" for long hair. You have a great face, and it works well with your current hair style.

Second, layers: opinion is divided on them around here. I don't think they are going to be a good move for you, because they make the ends of your hair look thinner and make updos more difficult. Updos are a lifesaver when you are trying to stretch out washes. There is a thread about this, btw:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56574

One of the suggestions you'll see in that thread is dry shampoo (=cornstarch and/or unsweetened cocoa powder).

CO is a good idea for many hairtypes, including yours. But some scalps don't react to conditioner well, so you might have to look around for a while before you find one that works.

Good luck!

Vorvolaka
January 18th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I have to agree, you need to stop listening to that person who says you don't suit long hair because you really do!

Layers: I wouldn't. Layers are fine for hair like ours when it's shorter but not when it's long. It thins the ends out too much. Face framing layers/bangs are always a good bet, imo, especially if you feel that long hair drags your face down.

BBBs: hmm, I'm in two minds over this. I love the feel of brushing my hair with them but they do kind of spread the grease! I use my Tangle Teezer as a BBB replacement.

I find COing leads to even greasier hair. CWCing worked very well for me but my hands down best routine is the oil shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) method. Adding oil to shampoo sounds like a disaster for a greasehead like me but it really does work! I've found that conditioner and bad shampoo choices really do make my greasiness worse. Added bonus: I shed far less with this method.

Anyway, good luck and welcome!

Intransigentia
January 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Welcome! I agree with almost everything Vorvolaka just said. Especially the oil shampoo. It's the best of all possible worlds in my opinion; your scalp gets clean from the shampoo, and your hair gets moisturized from the oil. I think it gives more body and bounce as well. And it's a total of one bottle you need in your shower. One.

Also, I agree layers are a pain, especially if you like wearing your hair up - you get ends sticking out all over the place.

A BBB is a double-edged sword I guess. It feels sooo nice on the scalp, that's one reason to use one right there! Depending on how oily your scalp is when you use it, it can either spread out the oil so you look less greasy, or drag more oil into your hair and make you look more greasy. I mostly use mine if I want to do a heavy oil treatment, to distribute that oil all through my hair.

Where I disagree with Vorvolaka is on CO-washing. I actually found it quickly lessened my oil production, as if using a strong shampoo had been stimulating it to make more oil to protect itself. I do think the oil shampoo method is the absolute best thing ever to happen to my hair, but CO would be a close second.

Oh, and I forgot to say, a really easy way to get some volume at the roots (not my idea but I can't remember whose blog I read it on) is to braid it before bed, with the braid coming out right at the top of your head, or even a bit forward of that. Works well dry, and better wet.

Saeth
January 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
All: ty for your replies and compliments!

Linnepinne: Yeps my hair is pretty long but on Friday it's facing the dreaded hairdresser (I'm phobic of them really!). Needs two inches or so taken off as it's getting a little tangled and I reckon it's some damage going on. After your tip about the layers I think I'll give them a miss, though I'm tempted still to have some just around the face to 'frame' it more. I have some wispy ones from the last hairdresser but think they're a bit too thin. But your experience highlighted my own concerns so I'm very glad I asked! I had considered a side swept bang but find it makes my forehead look sky high but that could be me and my demons ;)

I will try find a CO that my hair seems to like, then will attempt the CO method. Any ideas of how much time I should give for the testing period? And why did I suspect the stretching washes would be raised haha. I will read into both, as well as the link. Let me know how your new conditioner works! Thank you so much.

Kaeita ty :D

Phalaenopsis Argh your hair is gorgeous! I want mine like that! Your comment about the CO not working for you in comparison to Linne just goes to show how much of this involves 'guinea pigging' different things to find what works. I will avoid the BBB too! ty

bumblebums ok ok I'll stop listening to them and me :laugh: Tyvm for the link, I'll commence reading shortly!

Vorvolaka Regarding the layers/BBBS, this is what I suspected so I will take you advice on these. And my goodness, another thing to try /faints. I will read this thread, though it had already sparked my interest. I'll be ordering that Tangle Teezer too. Sounds wonderful!

Intransigentia Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make a braid come out of my head lol. I was told by my mum braiding damages though hair though? Is this true? I wouldn't want to do something regularly that could bite me later on.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I could have sworn I posted this last night but I don't know seeing as my net died as I hit the post button and I can't find anything!

Hello,

I've spent a good chunk of time browsing the forums and learning as much as I can about how to nurture long hair. Problem is I'm still feeling the need for some specific advice to kick start everything especially as I have very oily hair/skin. This has been a lifelong battle of mine. I wash it every day usually and have only ever found one walnut extract shampoo that made a difference. Sadly it was so loaded with chemicals my scalp revolted. On top of that we live in an area with very hard water (but shower filter is incoming!).

I have a sensitive very oily scalp which has meant I've had to swap to using natural shampoos etc now. My hair 1a-b/F/ii. It doesn't hold shape/volume/style easily and is quite flat at the roots. The ends seem to take a naturally straggly appearance pretty soon after brushing (grrr. Pictures linked below). I do try to take care of it (but after this forum reading this is being upgraded!)

So some questions

1) boar bristle brushes. Are they suitable for someone who suffers from a very greasy scalp? I have concerns it'll just make my hair look greasier, quicker.

2) How should I go about making sure my hair is conditioned/oiled enough for its type? I want to be sure it's protected etc enough without overloading my hair.

3) Any ideas of what treatments/rinses (well anything I guess) that could help settle the oil production down on my scalp/protect it from the hard water? I'm not happy about trying to skip washes, I'm self conscious enough without feeling even more grubby.

4) What about CO/CWCing with my type of hair?

5) I have thought about having some layers put in to add movement, maybe some volume and to stop it 'dragging' my face down too much (I don't have the 'suitable' face for long hair apparently, but you live once so it won't hurt to try it once!) but I wondering if this could harm my hair goal, especially with my type of hair? Is it something that can work with much longer hair? Is there anyone on the forums who has had this done? Could you recommend anything?

I'd like to try and improve the greasiness situation, and somehow introduce more volume and 'thickness'. If however this can't be done, I'd really appreciate advice on how to maintain an oily, sensitive scalp while maximising my chances of reaching my goal, hip length hair. Atm it looks quite lank due to shampoo changes etc. It really needs more vitality but my brain feels quite overloaded from all the info I've read. Help!

Ty :)

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/Invicta-Shay/023.jpg (back shot)
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/Invicta-Shay/035.jpg (front)

Hi.:) You're so pretty. Who said you don't look good with hair one length? It does suit you very well so don't believe what you heard.

I also have an oily sensitive scalp. About the boars bristle brush, who knows? I choose to use one because even though my scalp is oily my ends are dry. And the object for me is to distribute the oil to my ends where it is needed. And secondly, brushing stimulates the hair follicles and it is very good for your scalp. And, you can brush your hair before going to bed, or before you wash your hair. Don't brush it and then walk around with your hair flattened to your scalp! lol

I wash my hair everyday too but not with detergents. The thing is, if you have a sensitive scalp, irritating it on a daily basis is going to make it produce more oil to calm down the irritation. At least thats my unscientific guess. You need to switch to a gentle soap (castile is good) or at the very least dilute your shampoo. I use herbs to wash my hair but that involves a big commitment and I don't know if you want to walk down that road.

With the oiling, you want to do that the night before you wash your hair, or a couple hours before you wash your hair. Again, don't go walking around with your head all oiled up unless you don't care what other people think.:D My signature picture is with my hair oiled but I'm at home and so people don't see me. Oiling your hair and scalp is very good for it so don't be afraid to do that before a wash.

Your oil production will be normal for what your body does. You can't really change that. But what you can do is not irritate the heck out of your scalp on a daily basis and in my opinion chemicals and detergents do just that if you are sensitive to them. They also will damage your hair overtime especially if you have fine hair. Fine hair barely has any medulla (center part), if any, and is more prone to damage.

I did CO for a time and was quite happy with it but the thing is that conditioner builds up on the hair so you need to wash it off with something that cleanses. I'm not 100% in love with chemicals so I decided to forgoe the conditioner and use herbs. But CO did thoroughly cleanse my oily hair. I used Whole Foods 365 conditioner and it did a good job.

Regarding layers, its generally not recommended because it creates more fragile ends (less thickness means the hair is more fragile). If your hair is blunt then you have more hairs at the end creating more thickness and more protection from manual damage like brushing. However, if that hair style is unappealing to you then by all means get layers. It comes down to personal choice. If you are going for overall length and the maximum amount of hair then don't cut into it.:)

That's my advise take or leave it.:D

FullMoonTrim
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I see someone already mentioned it. Dry shampoo would be a great option! I like orris root but it might be too 'light' for your hair. When I use it it right around my part and my bang area it adds body and makes it look so much better! :) I have never tried cocoa powder but that might work for your hair color.

lundmir
January 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I second the oil shampoo, it does wonders for my hair. And I used dry shampoo when I did CO, it helped a lot between washes and gave me lots of volume.

Intransigentia
January 18th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear - the braid starts as if you made a super-high ponytail, rather than, say, at the nape of your neck. I find it's easiest to do bent over so my head is upside down.

I suppose really tight braids could be damaging, or if you use something unfriendly to secure the end that could be bad, but in general I feel braids are protective - they keep your hair from tangling and snagging on things.