PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic highlights!

faeriewings
January 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking pink, purple, red, and or orange (or some combination) highlights (just not orange and purple) over my hennaed hair. My hair looks like this: http://img524.imageshack.us/i/photo250p.jpg/ (sort of gingery red, really bright orange red in the sunlight, and APL-BSL layered). Now I humbly ask your opinion, longhairs: judging by my hair, my skin (very pale), and your fancy, what color(s) should i add?

also...should i lighten a bit first? (honey or sun-in)

faeriewings
January 19th, 2011, 11:59 PM
...did i do something wrong?

Nevada Rose
January 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm thinking pink, purple, red, and or orange (or some combination) highlights (just not orange and purple) over my hennaed hair. My hair looks like this: http://img524.imageshack.us/i/photo250p.jpg/ (sort of gingery red, really bright orange red in the sunlight, and APL-BSL layered). Now I humbly ask your opinion, longhairs: judging by my hair, my skin (very pale), and your fancy, what color(s) should i add?

also...should i lighten a bit first? (honey or sun-in)

I think pink and a light green would go well.:)

little_cherry
January 20th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Since you have hennaed hair and will need to bleach the streaks to get the desired look, you may not be able to bleach your hair light enough for lighter colours to work. Darker pinks may work without bleaching..I think BelleBot achieved this with pink. Special affects is a good brand.

Purple over henna will give you brown (orange+purple)...same with blue.

Another option is to get a few of those coloured clip in extensions...that way, you can change your look as often as you like.

ravenreed
January 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
You could maybe do some darker red streaks. Bleaching out henna is apparently quite a chore. If you don't mind darker, go for something that will work well over the red.

stinamoo
January 20th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I think some bright red highlights. You won't even have to bleach, it will go straight over henna'd hair, and as it slowly fades and grows out it will look like natural variation :) it would suit you too!

kwaniesiam
January 20th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I'd go for some darker red streaks, maybe with Vampire Red?

If you want to get pink or a lighter color you will have to bleach first, and bleach is a pain to over henna. Opt for the lowlights, your hair will be much happier for it.

Khiwanean
January 20th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Red, pink or orange you should be able to do without bleach. Orange probably won't make a huge difference in the color though. Purple would not work well at all without bleaching, and even then you may have problems with it turning an undesired color if you don't bleach enough. Be aware that with these kind of colors your henna will show through, so they're not going to be the same color they would be on bleached hair (unless you do actually bleach your hair close to white, of course).

Paula Auguste
January 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I used directions plum (a dark purple) over henna and it resulted in a very lovely dark burgundy color. If you like, I can try and dig out some pictures for you.

redneckprincess
January 20th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Since you have hennaed hair and will need to bleach the streaks to get the desired look, you may not be able to bleach your hair light enough for lighter colours to work. Darker pinks may work without bleaching..I think BelleBot achieved this with pink. Special affects is a good brand.

Purple over henna will give you brown (orange+purple)...same with blue.

Another option is to get a few of those coloured clip in extensions...that way, you can change your look as often as you like.

REALLY?? wow i might have to try a small section of hair.

Paula Auguste
January 20th, 2011, 07:25 AM
As I said, purple over henna gave me deep purple red. I do not know about blue, but as henna is orange-red, I would expect you need a greenish blue to achieve brown. But I guess every hair is different, so :shrug:?

faeriewings
January 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone! So I think I've ruled out purple, because I'm not planning on bleaching (but maybe a little lightening...)

morecowbell
January 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Last month I used Manic Panic Hot Hot Pink over my henna and virgin roots:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5350&pictureid=91281

The pictures before and after that one are also of the pink streaks.
As you can see, it DOES show up, and I didn't bleach beforehand.
I've also done deep violet purple, but it was so dark it just looked like black on me lol :)

HTH :D

faeriewings
January 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
ooh! that's pretty.