PDA

View Full Version : Flexi 8s: How well do they hold?

UrbanEast
March 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'd like to buy a few of these as they look very pretty. But I'm wondering how firmly they hold updos? (As you can see from the thread I started below, I like my buns to sit pretty high.) Also, in your experience, how easy are they to use?

Madam Librarian
March 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm wearing one right now holding up a peacock twist. I've pinned the loose ends down with bobby pins, just for a neater look. Nothing has moved at all.

I can use various size flexi's quite easily for a variety of things. They work well for a low ponytail, over a bun, over a french twist, half-ups, and peacock twists. Think of it like a flexible slide barrette, but the slide/stick part is permanently attached to the barrette so you won't lose it.

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
It depends what updo you use AND the size of the flexi. But when you get the right updo/size combo, they hold like a rock.

andrea1982
March 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I have 3 different sizes, a small, medium, and large. She small is excellent for half/ups, I use the medium for peacock twists and ponytails, and the large for french twists or buns. Used in this way they hold great! As long as you get one that isn't too big, you should be fine. (for example, if I try to use my large for a pony or a peacock twist, it slides out.)

UrbanEast
March 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks. Do they hold as well as Ficcares?

UrbanEast
March 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
the large for french twists or buns. Used in this way they hold great! As long as you get one that isn't too big, you should be fine. (for example, if I try to use my large for a pony or a peacock twist, it slides out.)

Does the large hold your bun pretty tightly? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a large or an extra large for buns/wraps.

kimberlily
March 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I had a large (which was too small for all of my hair but worked for half-ups) and an extra large (which was BARELY big enough). Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with them. Maybe it was operator error, but my updos never felt all that secure and I also found that hairs would get between the beads and be broken off by them when I'd take them out, no matter how careful I was. I really like the look, but they're just not for me, unfortunately.

Xandergrammy
March 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I use an extra large and mine hold very well. I'm very happy with my Flexi-8's. Here's a picture of one of my higher buns. :grin: You can take a peek at my profile picture to see how much hair I have.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN1716.jpg

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Here is a medium in my 10sec bun:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4359/flexibluejm9.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flexibluejm9.jpg)

darkwaves
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I like the smaller ones more for half-ups than the big ones on buns or twists. (Maybe, as kimberlily says, it's operator error...)

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Agreed, they hold much better than they look like they will and they don't pull or snag at all. It's all about the sizing though. I have a small and a medium, but I might invest in a large so that I can fit ALL my hair in a round-shaped bun and have it clasp over the top. It's a tight squeeze for that right now with the medium.

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I love Flexi-8s and I think they are much lighter and therefore more comfortable than anything else at least for me. An extra large will not hold my bun though (sigh) and my hair is 29 inches but pretty thick (5 inch circumference) I use them for low ponies, halfups and sometimes for figure 8s too. They pull my scalp hair a lot less than a Ficcare.

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I use the medium more like a hair stick than folding it all the way over the bun. It won't work that way for me (tried a large, my hair slipped out from under it), so it IS holding all my hair, but not the very edges of the bun there, just like a stick.

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I use the medium more like a hair stick than folding it all the way over the bun. It won't work that way for me (tried a large, my hair slipped out from under it), so it IS holding all my hair, but not the very edges of the bun there, just like a stick.

Yeah sometimes I can do the extra large that way depending on how "compact" my hair is that day! It's tricky though! If I can get it though I can wear it like that pretty much all day without redoing it because of not having to pick up scalp hair. I wonder how it does that!

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have to pick up scalp hair, no way around that. But yeah.. I can name my hair Miss Floop :lol: Floops out of just about anything :lol:

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I have to pick up scalp hair, no way around that. But yeah.. I can name my hair Miss Floop :lol: Floops out of just about anything :lol:

Mine is pretty bad at flooping out too but it's the ends. Hee hee, I like that word! :D

Pegasus
March 21st, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hm. Sounds like one would need to buy both a large and extra-large when trying them out.

I might do that. I bought a large Ficcare and wasn't happy with it at all. Doesn't hold full buns, but it's too big for half-ups.

In-between hair sucks sometimes.....!

eadwine
March 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
I would suggest also a medium. A large is too large for my hair as well at the moment. I was lucky enough to try them out on a meeting. Besides, SHOULD it not work for you, it is easily swapped/sold off here at virtually no loss.

Stevy
March 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
I've got both mediums and larges, and I'd say that their strength of hold is somewhere between a hairstick and a Ficcare.

kimki
March 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
I am happy with mine, but to be honest I don't have a lot of hair to hold. I use the mini for a half up and a small to hold the whole lot....I know...bless! :o

freznow
March 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
I rather dislike mine. They're pretty and not too expensive, but with the curve going away from the head instead of hugging it, all they do is pull and break hairs in the beads. Maybe this is operator error, but nevertheless me+flexis=OW! I'll occasionally get one to hold something, but the only style I've ever managed with a flexi, my hair can't do right now.

Kyamo
March 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
I have a medium and its great for holding a folded braid and ok for a french twist, but I haven't been successful using it for a bun. I might need a large to hold a bun. I have had no problems with it pulling hair or getting caught on the beads.

sibylla
March 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I just bought a large one here (swap) and as I have coarse hair it canīt hold buns but as I always do a quick figure 8 it can hold it very well. It doesnīt pull any hairs. If you want it to hold a bun I think you need a XL one.

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I LOVE mine! They are beautiful, hold any type of hair, don't hurt my head and last FOREVER. my oldest ones are over 9 years old and still looking great.