PDA

View Full Version : TWO WEEK RULE - then *snip*

UltraBella
January 17th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I am invoking the two week rule. I keep thinking about cutting my hair so I am going to go ahead and do it. I have enjoyed growing my hair to tailbone but I honestly liked my hair better at a shorter length. Somewhere between BSL and right above waist made me happiest.
I can't have as many layers as I like when my hair is this long. My shortest layer is around APL and I prefer them to start shorter. I miss the sexy hair I had, full of body and movement. My hair is just heavy now. I am going to use these two weeks to think about it, but I am pretty sure I have made up my mind.
These two pics are good examples of what I have in mind for myself again. First one is a little longer than BSL and second one is right between BSL and waist.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=72406

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=72405

orbiting
January 17th, 2011, 09:57 PM
First off -- You have gorgeous hair. And a beautiful smile to match :)

I think it sounds good. I like my hair when it's long and layered as well, but it definitely takes extra work I think. :)

Good luck!

jujube
January 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Your hair does look beautiful on these pictures. Do what will make you feel happiest. Your hair will still be quite long, and definitely bouncier and more fun. Don't exaggerate the layers though, if you're an updo type of girl.

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM
You have the.most.beautiful.hair...ever. I love the color.

Rocket22
January 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
You have beautiful hair and a lot of it! Your hair would be amazing at any length :)

Dragon
January 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Both those pitchers look great. Your hair is beautiful. Good luck :)

Tia2010
January 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous in those pictures....amazingly long and full ! Either lenght suits you very well. :)

Tressie
January 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
You and your hair are lovely at either length and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for your happiness. You can always grow it out again if you get bored with somewhat shorter hair! (o:

UltraBella
January 17th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I would have to cut off about 9 inches to get to the longer of the two photos. And add more layers back in.

Aleria
January 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think if you want it, go for it. Your hair is thick, so I can imagine how heavy it must be at TBL, and honestly, the pictures above look really nice.

Shicurls
January 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I think you have amazing hair and if you are happier with it at a shorter length-do it! Cut it! You are a beautiful woman either way. :) And, I really, really want to know what products you use. I know you are a hairdresser, and I would love to know your secrets!

ericthegreat
January 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
UltraBella, your hair has always been one of my most favorite heads of hair I've admired. You are just genetically blessed with such wonderfully thick locks. I personally like the length you had in the second pic better. Altho I'm sure your hair would be beautiful at either length, I of course would always prefer the longer length on you ;).

Whatever you decide, make sure to post pics of your upcoming brand new cut! :)

pennyroyal
January 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I really love your hair at both of those lengths & where it is now. Whatever you choose to do it will look amazing so as long as you are happy with it is all that matters. :)
Plus you can always grow it back to tailbone if you change your mind.

Lisa R
January 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
You will look just as gorgeous and beautiful whatever you decide to do. The 'shorter' lengths look fabulous as do the longer lengths!

Can't wait to see pictures of what you end up doing.

Have fun!

UltraBella
January 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I think you have amazing hair and if you are happier with it at a shorter length-do it! Cut it! You are a beautiful woman either way. :) And, I really, really want to know what products you use. I know you are a hairdresser, and I would love to know your secrets!

Here you go, Shicurls.........
I wash my hair with TreSemme Naturals low SLS shampoo
I condition my hair with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner ( it's cone-free )
While wet I detangle gently and apply a concoction from my mister bottle containing 1/4 Garnier Fructis Length & Strength conditioner ( the only cones I use ) and 3/4 water. Then I immediately apply jojoba oil to my lengths, it is fully absorbed once dry. It has reduced my enter static to zero. :cheese:
Then I air dry or damp bun. That's it. Nothing nearly as magical as you were probably expecting :)
Oh ! If I want WOW hair, like the body and volume in the first pic, I use the largest rollers for my Caruso Hairsetter and ( this is the one secret I do have and it is fantastic !!! ) I add some Biolage soft control GLAZE into my water before I plug the steamer in. Curls hold for days and are soft, shiny and amazing.
Now you know my entire hair routine :D

Juneii
January 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Your hair is really thick so I don't blame you for wanting it to be shorter. If that is what you really like and want, go for it! Hair grows. No point in fussing and/or crying about it :) you will look beautiful no matter what.

milagro
January 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Wow, you're gorgeous both ways! :thud:
Your hair doesn't look too heavy or lacking body in the second picture, maybe you'd like a shorter upper layer and more prominent bangs instead of chop?

ETA Is it something in the air? Second or third "I want a cut" thread in a couple days...

vanity_acefake
January 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
You have such beautiful hair at both lengths. Only you can know what you prefer. Good luck with the cut if you go for it. :)

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Wow, you're gorgeous both ways! :thud:
Your hair doesn't look too heavy or lacking body in the second picture, maybe you'd like a shorter upper layer and more prominent bangs instead of chop?

The second photo, where my hair is longer, is 9 inches shorter than my hair currently is. I am at tailbone. I am considering cutting back to that length, or a bit shorter.

milagro
January 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
The second photo, where my hair is longer, is 9 inches shorter than my hair currently is. I am at tailbone. I am considering cutting back to that length, or a bit shorter.

I see. Hair that thick must be real heavy at that length. I personally vote "no cut" just because it's a pleasure to look at such a mane :) but it's up to you, of course. And you're not going to cut it short anyway, that's a good news.

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I just washed it and that reinforced my desire to trim it, lol. It's a lot of hair to deal with !!
I went through some old pics and sorted out the pics where I liked my hair the best, I discovered nearly all of my favorite hair pics are of my hair quite a bit shorter than it is currently.
I know I envoked the two week rule, and as a female I reserve the right to change my mind....repeatedly if necessary, but I think I already know my answer :)

cindy58
January 18th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I love everything about the second photo -- you're gorgeous, it's a great look for you!

rapunzhell13
January 18th, 2011, 02:09 AM
You look gorgeous in these photos and the shorter lengths are very flattering on you. I say go for what makes you happy! Most people would still consider your hair very long anyway. I hope we get pictures of the "new" do. :D

Aveyronnaise
January 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I think it looks fabulous at both lengths. I feel you on the heaviness thing. It's why I chose not plan on any goal past waist.
Can't wait to see what you come up with .

Alaia
January 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
If you are so sure you don't want to wait two weeks, try a couple of days instead.

You'll look fantastic either way (what a head of hair!), and you won't exactly be cutting it short ;)

Lianna
January 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I think I've seen you talk about this in another occasion. I think you should feel confortable, and you'll look beautiful either way! :flower:

Braidy
January 18th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Both pictures look really great. Just follow your feeling, it'll be gorgeous I'm sure.

LocustSpawning
January 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Your hair is really stunning, both on the first two photo's and in your sig pic, but in the first 2, you look like a movie star.

julliams
January 18th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I really like the length in the second photo. As another person with very thick hair, I can totally understand where you are coming from. I personally can't deal with layers but you wear them very well and I'm guessing that at a shorter length, it's going to make using the Caruso a little easier and slightly quicker.

You have grown to tailbone you can tick that box. If you ever want to grow to that length again, you know you can. Best of luck and post pics when it's done.

Just one question though - who do you get to cut your hair when you are a hairdresser? Do you do it yourself or do you trust it to someone else??? Just being curious.

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I really like the length in the second photo. As another person with very thick hair, I can totally understand where you are coming from. I personally can't deal with layers but you wear them very well and I'm guessing that at a shorter length, it's going to make using the Caruso a little easier and slightly quicker.

You have grown to tailbone you can tick that box. If you ever want to grow to that length again, you know you can. Best of luck and post pics when it's done.

Just one question though - who do you get to cut your hair when you are a hairdresser? Do you do it yourself or do you trust it to someone else??? Just being curious.

I definitely don't do it myself, lol. Oh lord, what a disaster that would probably be :)
I have several great options as far as hairstylists, and it is convenient because they are already in my salon. The hard part is asking one to cut my hair and not disappointing others.

virgo75
January 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
You and your hair are flipping gorgeous. lol

Whatever you do will look lovely, I'm sure. :)

lapushka
January 18th, 2011, 07:59 AM
It looks great! I especially like the first picture, because, well... I've always loved layers myself (which I'm growing out right now) and it looks fun and playful in the first picture, a little more sensual in the second. Either would be a great choice.

If you feel like it's limp and in the way, and you can't enjoy your hair as much as you'd like to, go ahead with it (after two weeks). I bet it was nice to grow it to TB, though. Oh, and what about the updos? I know that's a big stumbling block for me with thick hair (and mine's not as thick as yours) but I mean... I need a lot of length to be able to do them properly. Wouldn't that be something you'd miss?

Drynwhyl
January 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
If you'll be happier, go for it! I just recently snipped mine from tailbone to a long bsl/waist and I'm really happy with it. Gave myself lots more than two weeks though :P
I understand what you mean, it just starts being heavy and just...hangs there. At least mine did.
It will be much easier to take care of.
You have my support :)

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 08:07 AM
It looks great! I especially like the first picture, because, well... I've always loved layers myself (which I'm growing out right now) and it looks fun and playful in the first picture, a little more sensual in the second. Either would be a great choice.

If you feel like it's limp and in the way, and you can't enjoy your hair as much as you'd like to, go ahead with it (after two weeks). I bet it was nice to grow it to TB, though. Oh, and what about the updos? I know that's a big stumbling block for me with thick hair (and mine's not as thick as yours) but I mean... I need a lot of length to be able to do them properly. Wouldn't that be something you'd miss?

Nope, not going to miss updos. My normal go to bun still works with that length hair and I think more than anything, I miss wearing my hair down. I wore it down way more when it was shorter. Now I have to think about the weather, what I am doing for the day, will it get tangled, will I get too warm with it down, etc. I am looking forward to letting my locks loose more often :)

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
give me your thickness. :thud:

I hope you enjoy your new cut when the time comes to snip it. I'm sure it will look lovely. :flower:

Shicurls
January 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thank you UltraBella! :flowers:

Maverick494
January 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Here you go, Shicurls.........
I wash my hair with TreSemme Naturals low SLS shampoo
I condition my hair with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner ( it's cone-free )
While wet I detangle gently and apply a concoction from my mister bottle containing 1/4 Garnier Fructis Length & Strength conditioner ( the only cones I use ) and 3/4 water. Then I immediately apply jojoba oil to my lengths, it is fully absorbed once dry. It has reduced my enter static to zero. :cheese:
Then I air dry or damp bun. That's it. Nothing nearly as magical as you were probably expecting :)
Oh ! If I want WOW hair, like the body and volume in the first pic, I use the largest rollers for my Caruso Hairsetter and ( this is the one secret I do have and it is fantastic !!! ) I add some Biolage soft control GLAZE into my water before I plug the steamer in. Curls hold for days and are soft, shiny and amazing.
Now you know my entire hair routine :D

I know these tips were not posted specifically for me, but I find them very useful, so thanks for sharing!

utdesertrunner
January 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM
That second picture is my dream hair! Length, color, layers! Beautiful!

spidermom
January 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
You can't go wrong with such lovely, versatile hair! I can see myself doing something like this in the future. I've committed to keeping my hair at goal length (classic) for at least one full year (December 2011) because I waited for it for nearly 50 years (too impulsive to let it grow at younger ages, took 10 years to grow once I acquired the patience).

Joliebaby
January 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Well, your hair looks gorgeous in those pics - Though I prefer the second, with slightly longer mermaid hair. Even if you cut to BSL, it would be so easy to just let grow out again.
With your thick hair, even a little less length looks, well, substantial.

Gypsygirl
January 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I totally understand and I know for a fact that you are going to love it! :)

Cupofmilk
January 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
You do have fantastic hair genes. Do I remember correctly that your hair grows at 1 inch per month - if so I wouldn't be worried about going for either BSL+ or just above waist - as you know you could grow those 9 inches back in 9 months!

CarpeDM
January 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
OMG is that really your hair? It is soooo amazing :bowtome:

Viechen
January 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hey there, I just wanted to let you know that you have the most amazing and beautiful hair that I have ever seen :) Its so thick and the color is amazing! Can I make you my new hair idol????

chopandchange
January 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
My reservation would be that the hair in those two photos has obviously been styled and set, so that's why it looks good, but will you have time to style it every day to make it look like that all the time?

When you have shorter, heavily layered hair it's more of a time-consuming commitment because it's harder to just braid or bun it and make it look decent and neat in a hurry, like you can with all-one-length hair.

But you're a hairdresser so I'm sure you know all that and maybe you actually enjoy styling your hair and playing around with it, so you won't mind!

mellie89
January 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I completely understand, and I think your hair looks gorgeous in both pictures. It's still really long by normal people standards, but it has SO much body... it's insane!

Lemur_Catta
January 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I like your hair better in the shorter pictures, but that's probably because I can see your beautiful smile, and your hair is styled there. I think it would be fare to post a similarly styled picture to judge your longer hair!

In the end, whatever you want is the right answer for you. You have to live with your hair, not us :)

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My reservation would be that the hair in those two photos has obviously been styled and set, so that's why it looks good, but will you have time to style it every day to make it look like that all the time?

When you have shorter, heavily layered hair it's more of a time-consuming commitment because it's harder to just braid or bun it and make it look decent and neat in a hurry, like you can with all-one-length hair.

But you're a hairdresser so I'm sure you know all that and maybe you actually enjoy styling your hair and playing around with it, so you won't mind!

My hair is already wavy, so a simple bun at night gives me nice bouncy curls. I used my Caruso Hairsetter in those two pics, but for every day I never had a problem taking my hair out of my bun and heading out the door with great hair. I find it much more time consuming now. Even my normal go to bun takes more time at this length.

I guess what I am trying to say, without saying it for fear of sounding like I am bragging, is that on a daily basis it is very easy for me to have fantastic hair :) I don't spend much time fussing and primping and I didn't at those lengths either.

Cupofmilk, yes, my hair does grow a steady inch per month. Which is great for growing and difficult for maintaining, and even worse for root touchup ! Ashy blonde roots next to copper red is YUCK. *Sigh. If only I were a natural redhead.

To everyone else, thank you so much for your support and kind words, I really appreciate them !!!!!!!!

BrightEyes7
January 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I hate you UltraBella... not really... but I totally envy your awesome hair. :p

I think it looks great shorter. And honestly it still looks long in the first one. You just have a mass of hair. I would imagine it would be a bit too much at TB. I find that once I get past waist I usually get unhappy with my hair. Do what makes you happy!!!

And with your magic hair... even if you cut it I don't think it would take long to get back to where you are at!! :)

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Lemur Catta, This is as close as I have to a recent styled photo, I was at hip length here :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0386.jpg

And from the back :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0389.jpg

And here is an older pic of it much shorter and heavily layered with bangs, styled with my beloved Caruso :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/Oct2007008.jpg

jojo
January 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Wow id say good luck to you, your hair has body, thickness and shine PLUS you grow super quick. It will soon grow back if you want it to!

enfys
January 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hey, if you cut 9" that's enough to donate to LoL for child cancer patient wigs :lol:

You are way more equipped than most to know how to maintain styled hair like you showed, keeping layers looking good etc, and you have far more hair than any one neck can probably stand. Those men who pull trucks with their teeth probably don't have the neck muscles you do!

Of course, before and after shots are required.

teela1978
January 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I cut back a few weeks ago, from hip-ish to waist-ish and I'm really glad I did. It was just getting to be too much. Good luck choosing a length! I'm liking waist-ish myself.

HintOfMint
January 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Both pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful hair on a beautiful woman!
You've been talking about cutting it shorter for quite some time, so go for it.

About your routine, which is quite similar to mine save for the mister and caruso curlers, I was wondering if you ever got buildup from the coney-conditioner in the mist bottle? Or do you wash your length and that gets rid of it before it gets a chance to build up? I try not to get shampoo on my length but I am toying with the idea of light cones, if that makes any sense.

Enjoy your haircut!

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Both pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful hair on a beautiful woman!
You've been talking about cutting it shorter for quite some time, so go for it.

About your routine, which is quite similar to mine save for the mister and caruso curlers, I was wondering if you ever got buildup from the coney-conditioner in the mist bottle? Or do you wash your length and that gets rid of it before it gets a chance to build up? I try not to get shampoo on my length but I am toying with the idea of light cones, if that makes any sense.

Enjoy your haircut!

I don't get any build up from the little bit of cones I use, that is why I am not fully SLS free though. The low SLS shampoo is just enough to remove it. I don't actually wash my lengths, just my scalp, but I find rinsing moves the shampoo down my lengths just enough to remove any cones.

I should mention that in the summer months I don't use the mister bottle or the oil and I just use aloe vera gel on my hair after washing.

craftybunn
January 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Do What You Want! It Is Your Hair! I know that is not what you want to hear, necessarily, but you have shown us two absolutely fabulous pictures of yourself at a shorter length than you are now. You are not asking for permission, are you? Do it, girl! Do what makes you happy! You are absolutely Hot in those pictures! And, that is "long" hair! I say do it!

bluesnowflake
January 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
gorgeous hair! Regardless of whether you decide to cut or not, it will look pretty. Do whatever you think would make you happiest.

kschr2004
January 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I like your hair all ways that I've seen. You look very different with bangs, too. :)

While my hair does not look nearly as thick as yours, I have a lot of it, and totally understand the issues when thick hair gets longer. That's why I cut from waist and probably won't go much longer than BSL again myself.

Good luck, whatever you decide I am sure it will look gorgeous!

LaurelSpring
January 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'd suggest giving it the full two weeks. It was only just recently that you posted a thread about how excited you were to make Tb I think. Of course, whatever you decide, your hair is amazing and will look great, but I would hate for you to make a decision that you might regret. The :scissors: are always an option that can be postponed until whenever.

Lianna
January 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest giving it the full two weeks. It was only just recently that you posted a thread about how excited you were to make Tb I think.

Yep. But seemed like she was growing to TBL out of spite, because her hair is dyed/bleached. At least a bit, it seemed.

UltraBella
January 18th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'd suggest giving it the full two weeks. It was only just recently that you posted a thread about how excited you were to make Tb I think. Of course, whatever you decide, your hair is amazing and will look great, but I would hate for you to make a decision that you might regret. The :scissors: are always an option that can be postponed until whenever.

I was THRILLED to hit tailbone because 1). I was told I couldn't do it because I dye my hair and bleach in highlights and 2). meeting that goal now means I am free to do whatever I want, which is cut it. :)

Lianna, I wouldn't say I was growing out of spite, but I am stubborn and wanted to make sure I did hit tailbone since I was told it was "impossible". I think I could grow my hair very very long, but it would drive me crazy...........

UltraBella
January 19th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Well, I may have to actually wait the two weeks. No one in my salon wants to cut it off !!!!!!!!!! Seriously ?? Grrrrr. So, I had to call and leave a message for a gal I went to before I opened my own salons to see if she will cut it, she is on vacation until Friday.
Is the universe trying to tell me something here ??

Tia2010
January 19th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Well, I may have to actually wait the two weeks. No one in my salon wants to cut it off !!!!!!!!!! Seriously ?? Grrrrr. So, I had to call and leave a message for a gal I went to before I opened my own salons to see if she will cut it, she is on vacation until Friday.
Is the universe trying to tell me something here ??

I wouldn't want to be the one to cut off the bosses hair either :D

Toadstool
January 19th, 2011, 01:57 AM
you have lovely hair and I too would cut and layer it because I think having that much of it would drive me crazy too. I hope you can find someone to do it, though I think it's kind of amusing that none of your employees dares to do it!

MrsGuther
January 19th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful at the BSL-waist range and it would look awesome if you got it cut back to there. If it made you happier having it at that particular length then I say go for it!!! (well, after the two week rule of course!). After all, hair grows back and if you wanted to have it longer eventually obviously you could just grow it back out.
You are so gorgeous by the way!!! Your hair is just amazing!!!

justme
January 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I think all the lengths look good on you, but I agree that the waist-ish one is my favorite. I also completely understand the desire to cut back to a more manageable length and one that is easy to wear down. That's been the story of the past year for me.

Calaelen
January 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
LOL. I've had that same reaction. A stylist refusing to take length off of my hair. It was so funny to me each time it happened.

If I am going to be honest, I'll mention that I don't think the BSL look is anywhere near as nice on you as the waist length layers. I think with the shorter cuts it looks more dated, as does the thick side bang. The softer, sexier waist length really makes everything about you shine. That's what I'd be telling you if you were to ask my professional opinion (which I know you didn't). Luckily, if you cut to BSL, it wont take long to grow it longer if that's what you choose.

boudica
January 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Your color and texture and curl are INCREDIBLE!

What do you use for color? Is it available at Sally or OTC in the states?

LaurelSpring
January 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I had that same problem once. My hairdresser at the time had been working with me as far as growing my hair and not trimming much. She told me that if I decided to cut it that I would have to find someone else because she wouldnt do it.

Actually I ended up cutting it myself! At the time though I wish I hadnt done it because I hadnt perfected the Feye method thing and ended up taking off more than I wanted and got so mad at myself.

If I do decide to have someone other then myself trim it though I will look her up because I know I can trust her and that is so important.

UltraBella
January 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Your color and texture and curl are INCREDIBLE!

What do you use for color? Is it available at Sally or OTC in the states?

Thank you :)

The color I normally use is a Demi-color. Matrix Color Sync in a level 7 copper red. This last time though I just did my roots and I used Garnier Herbashine # 645 and it matched perfectly.

JamiG
January 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ultrabella,

I love your hair as well, and think it's beautiful no matter what length. What kind of bun do you wear at night? And where do you place it? On top of your head, low bun...

Athena's Owl
January 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have admired those pictures before. It's a *great* cut.

SimplyViki
January 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM
You know, if my hair looked that awesome just out of a bun at that length, I'd be running for the scissors.

Then again, I think your hair looks just as awesome in the updated photos you posted. But I guess it's probably more time consuming and cumbersome to get it that way at your current length.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be the right decision for you, and we all know you'll have awesome hair either way. :)

ETA: Jeez, I need to get over my fear of adjectives. Could I seriously not come up with anything better than "awesome" three times in one post?

UltraBella
January 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ultrabella,

I love your hair as well, and think it's beautiful no matter what length. What kind of bun do you wear at night? And where do you place it? On top of your head, low bun...
I wear my bun right on top of my head, I have a sock bun pic in my album and my bun looks exactly the same from the front but minus the sock. I can only wear them on top but thankfully I think it looks pretty cute on me. :D
I have no idea if my bun is an actual bun because I just made it up out of frustration several years ago. I would love to know what it is called.
I pull my hair up into a large scrunch on the top of my head, so essentially a ponytail on my crown. Then, holding my hair straight up, I twist the entire length.
( I need to either start doing this to the side or grow longer arms ) Then I wrap the length from the right side, around the front to the left side and then to the back. I take the remainder of the twist and tuck it into the scrunchy, folding it once so I don't have crazy ends sticking out. Then I just adjust it just right, secure with those little U shaped pins or tiny claw clips and I am out the door, or ready for bed !
I can even pull some wispies out and curl them and it looks like a nice updo, with no fuss or anything.
Does this sound like a certain bun to you ? I have considered making a youtube video of it for those with bunning issues like mine.

JamiG
January 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I wear my bun right on top of my head, I have a sock bun pic in my album and my bun looks exactly the same from the front but minus the sock. I can only wear them on top but thankfully I think it looks pretty cute on me. :D
I have no idea if my bun is an actual bun because I just made it up out of frustration several years ago. I would love to know what it is called.
I pull my hair up into a large scrunch on the top of my head, so essentially a ponytail on my crown. Then, holding my hair straight up, I twist the entire length.
( I need to either start doing this to the side or grow longer arms ) Then I wrap the length from the right side, around the front to the left side and then to the back. I take the remainder of the twist and tuck it into the scrunchy, folding it once so I don't have crazy ends sticking out. Then I just adjust it just right, secure with those little U shaped pins or tiny claw clips and I am out the door, or ready for bed !
I can even pull some wispies out and curl them and it looks like a nice updo, with no fuss or anything.
Does this sound like a certain bun to you ? I have considered making a youtube video of it for those with bunning issues like mine.
Ultrabella,

That sounds easy, but I'd like to see the video if you do one just to get the picture straight in my head. When you put your hair in the bun at night, is it wet and then you have curls the next morning?

Lianna
January 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I was THRILLED to hit tailbone because 1). I was told I couldn't do it because I dye my hair and bleach in highlights and 2). meeting that goal now means I am free to do whatever I want, which is cut it. :)

Lianna, I wouldn't say I was growing out of spite, but I am stubborn and wanted to make sure I did hit tailbone since I was told it was "impossible". I think I could grow my hair very very long, but it would drive me crazy...........

Sorry for the lack of better words. :) I didn't know you were told to be impossible! o.O I wish I could come here less because almost everywhere I read is somehow obssessed with virgin hair. But I'm too addicted to LHC. :p

McFearless
January 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Why wait 2 weeks? You already sound convinced. Please post pics of your new cut! :)

orbiting
January 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
UltraBella - a tad bit off topic.. but.. I've had my hair dyed professionally (my ex-best friend was a cosmetologist) and my roots, they are horrendous. and I'm tired of the highlights... I can't afford to have it done pro (especially not in Boston or Providence!) and I really like how the salon dyes don't seem to destroy my hair.. even the bleached highlights stayed silky and look nice...

so, how is the Garnier Herbashine? I want to avoid things like Feria, so.. I'm kind of looking for alternate suggestions.

And on topic -- I've had some interesting questions when cutting my hair from very long to very short. Some knew right away it was due to damage, some hair stylist were like "Really? butbutbutbut! It's so NICE!" and once I was asked (politely, and she warned me) if I was ill/had cancer (I was going from nearly waist to a pixie).

cubedcoley
January 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I would also love to see the video about your nighttime do! Oops, I better go get mine ready right now! :run:
I looked at your album to see the bun you were talking about, but I only saw the sock bun! Maybe if you don't have time for a full video, a picture could help? :shrug:

:)

UltraBella
January 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ultrabella,

That sounds easy, but I'd like to see the video if you do one just to get the picture straight in my head. When you put your hair in the bun at night, is it wet and then you have curls the next morning?

If It is damp I have tighter curls, but I still have plenty of curls if I put it up completely dry too. Just not as tight.

Why wait 2 weeks? You already sound convinced. Please post pics of your new cut! :)

None of the stylists at my salon will cut it off and the gal that I trust, she works elsewhere, is on vacation !

UltraBella - a tad bit off topic.. but.. I've had my hair dyed professionally (my ex-best friend was a cosmetologist) and my roots, they are horrendous. and I'm tired of the highlights... I can't afford to have it done pro (especially not in Boston or Providence!) and I really like how the salon dyes don't seem to destroy my hair.. even the bleached highlights stayed silky and look nice...

so, how is the Garnier Herbashine? I want to avoid things like Feria, so.. I'm kind of looking for alternate suggestions.

And on topic -- I've had some interesting questions when cutting my hair from very long to very short. Some knew right away it was due to damage, some hair stylist were like "Really? butbutbutbut! It's so NICE!" and once I was asked (politely, and she warned me) if I was ill/had cancer (I was going from nearly waist to a pixie).

I personally had great results with the Herbashine but I have read where others said they didn't like it. I don't have a single complaint.

I would also love to see the video about your nighttime do! Oops, I better go get mine ready right now! :run:
I looked at your album to see the bun you were talking about, but I only saw the sock bun! Maybe if you don't have time for a full video, a picture could help? :shrug:

:)
I'll see what I can do about a photo or something :)

UltraBella
January 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Cubedcoley, here you go. I happened to wear my hair this way to work today. Please excuse all the flyaways, I had my big winter coat on in the car and the hood rubs against my head. And usually the clips match my hair but my daughter likes to "borrow"them and I couldn't find any.
And by the way, notice my ashy roots ? It's only been three weeks !!!!!!! Grrrrr.

Front view:

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0637.jpg

Close up :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0640.jpg

Side view :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0644.jpg

Back view :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0632.jpg

Lisa R
January 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post pics! Even though I didn't ask for them I was still looking forward to you posting them!

Beautiful bun! I love it....:)

Lostsoule77
January 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
So it sounds like you aren't waiting the two weeks. Have you decided what length you're going to cut it to? I think it looked gorgeous in all the pics. I can't believe how thick your hair is! Just amazing! Good luck with the cut, I hope it gets you what you want. Def. post pics once it's done. :)

DakarNick
January 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Saw in another thread that your appt is Monday. Did you decide on a length yet? :)

Athena's Owl
January 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM
okay, it's monday for the appointment? I'll be back then. I can't wait to hear about the results! I'm still going to maintain at tailbone for this entire year but after that I'm thinking I might want to see about something a little more deliberately shaped, like a deva style cut, or something, and do some research on who in town would be able to do the curly techniques.

I'm positive, completely positive that I could grow my hair to classic length, but Really i'm right on the border of my hair being a lot of trouble, and trimming off a couple inches to get to *just* tailbone has made things easier. Growing to classic - I think I would need a better reason besides "because I can." I like the look of my curls at this length a lot.

cubedcoley
January 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Wow!! Thanks for the pics ultrabella!! I have been working a lot this week and did not have time to log on and check them! What a beautiful crown of hair and I may be able to make this work. Thanks! *runs off to find little clippy stash*
:flowers:

squiggyflop
January 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM
well i wish you luck.. honestly.. i actually like your hair best in the second pic.. you are one of the rare occasions when i will say that losing that 9 inches will look great..

also, nice bun..

Lassie
January 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I think your hair will look AWESOME with the trim :)
Make sure you post some pics..
On a side note - can i please ask... Those tiny tiny black clips in your bun, where do you get them from / what are they called???
I'm in australia (AKA the land devoid of hair toys) and have searched high and low for clips that tiny but cannot find them anywhere. I can find plenty of larger ones, but not those tiny ones. If you could tell me what they are called or who makes them i may be able to find them online with any luck.

UltraBella
January 31st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Lassie, they are scunci brand and they say something about no-slip grip for thick hair. Hope that helps.

UPDATE ON MY CUT : my appointment was today at 11:30am but I had to cancel it, I have been really sick since Friday. I am sooooo disappointed :(

spidermom
January 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe your hair wants you to keep it.

(I'm kidding.)

DakarNick
January 31st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear you're sick, Bella. I have a cold and am not feeling too great myself. Get better soon and let us know when you reschedule!

Dragon
January 31st, 2011, 07:06 PM
I’m sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you feel better soon.

jaine
January 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM
UltraBella your hair is so beautiful! I'm envious that you can still have it long if you lose 9 inches... :) I would be bald if I cut that much. :)

xoxophelia
January 31st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I also think the cut will look good. Your hair has great body and thickness so you are one of the types of people who can really pull off layers. My hair looks pretty similar to yours when layered but I found layers to be too much work for me otherwise I think they are a good option for thick hair. I either had to spend 2-3 hours letting my hair air dry followed by 30 minutes blow drying or an hour blow drying but I don't have the same hair styling skills you do.

Looking forward to seeing your results. :D

UltraBella
February 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Okay, finally well again and my appointment is tomorrow afternoon. First stage of covering over my copper red was done already, so now my hair is brown. I have never had brown hair before !!!! It's kind of neat :) Tomorrow I will have ashy blonde highlights added so that as my roots grow in everything blends better. I am a natural ash dark blonde. Then I am either trimming just the ends or cutting SEVERAL inches off and adding more layers. I can't decide !!!!!
Either way, here is my hair right this very minute, I just toook it out of a bun. It may never look this very same again so I wanted to document it. Silly, but it makes me happy. Oh my, I may need to change my signature pic !

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0662.jpg

ericthegreat
February 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Oh, so along with a whole new haircut, you're also changing your haircolor. :) I can't wait to see it, I'm sure it will turn out wonderful! Altho, I will say, I'm already gonna miss the length you have now.

Tia2010
February 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Okay, finally well again and my appointment is tomorrow afternoon. First stage of covering over my copper red was done already, so now my hair is brown. I have never had brown hair before !!!! It's kind of neat :) Tomorrow I will have ashy blonde highlights added so that as my roots grow in everything blends better. I am a natural ash dark blonde. Then I am either trimming just the ends or cutting SEVERAL inches off and adding more layers. I can't decide !!!!!
Either way, here is my hair right this very minute, I just toook it out of a bun. It may never look this very same again so I wanted to document it. Silly, but it makes me happy. Oh my, I may need to change my signature pic !

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0662.jpg

Good Lord you have such beautiful hair !!:thudpile:

Maybe if I pray really hard my hair may look like this one day :pray: .... hey a girl can dream ! :)

I really like the new color and I can't wait to see what you decide for a cut. Whatever you do I'm sure it will look great !

scorpio_rising
February 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Maybe if I pray really hard my hair may look like this one day :pray: .... hey a girl can dream ! :)!

Exactly! :thud: / :pray:

It'll look gorgeous no matter what, I'm sure. Can't wait to see pics!

Debra83
February 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM
:knit::drama::couch: I'll be watching this thread!!! :D

Dragon
February 10th, 2011, 02:52 AM
:knit::drama::couch: I'll be watching this thread!!! :D

Me to . :D

milagro
February 10th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I happened to wear my hair this way to work today.
I love this look! Your hair is just gorgeous, I don't care how many times it's been said already :) I'm watching this thread as well.

Vorvolaka
February 10th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Wow. your hair looks awesome!

spitfire511
February 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I've always admired your hair UltraBella and your insight to the world of the stylist/salon owner :-) I can't wait to see how your cut turns out. :D

UltraBella
February 10th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone ! I am actually a bit nervous. Two weeks ago I was determined to cut it MUCH shorter, now I am not so sure. Maybe I should cut it gradually instead. Ugh ! Undecided !
And I am dreading the hair washing sink with a passion. My hair fills the whole bowl and it's a real pain to get it washed and conditioned without the sink overflowing. Plus the tangles were a nightmare last time, salon sinks are not very long hair friendly :(

TiaKitty
February 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I hate the sink, too! I usually just wash it myself and go in with it wet... won't that work for you?

Why did you go with the brown? I like it, it just isn't what I'm used to seeing on you! Will you change your eye makeup and go dark and sultry all the time now? A cat woman look, perhaps?

Centaur
February 10th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I hate the sink, too! I usually just wash it myself and go in with it wet... won't that work for you?

Not that my hair is all that long, but that is what I usually do.

GRU
February 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Maybe if I pray really hard my hair may look like this one day :pray: .... hey a girl can dream ! :)

"Are you there, God? It's me, GRU. When my hair grows up, it wants to be UltraBella's hair. Can you do that? Amen."

IMO, if you're not sure if you should cut much off, just do a couple inches -- you can always take more off later.

Also, if you don't want to do the whole salon-sink thing, why not just wash your hair and damp-bun it at home before the appt? I can't remember the last time my head was in a salon-sink -- I never got it shampooed when I got it cut, they just sprayed me down with a misting bottle.

Add me to the "watching this thread" crew...

UltraBella
February 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I am getting highlights that match my natural color foiled in, so there is no way to avoid the sink :(

Tiakitty, I went with the brown because I no longer want to deal with my ashy roots against copper red and I didn't want to bleach my whole head. So I used a demi color in a neutral shade to tone the copper to brown and now I will add some highlights of my dark natural ash blonde so that as my roots grow in, everything blends.
I love the red, but I get an inch of growth per month, so that means my roots are very obvious in under 2 weeks and it drives me crazy, I am sick of the battle.

Gru, that was absolutely the sweetest compliment ever ! However, I am super envious of your curls and wish I could steal them. I would use them to my advantage and have my hair cut like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. It would be big and wild and sexy !!! ;)

GRU
February 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the coloring... never done that myself in a salon, so it doesn't even cross my mind.

As for my hair, I've never been able to get it to look "tousled" like you're talking about -- it's either spirals or frizz, no gray area between (and especially no gray areas since I discovered henna and cassia! :lol:).

Joliebaby
February 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Your layers look so good I might keep mine :D That'll save me 4-5" of hair.
I can't wait to see the result, highlights and all.

Merlin
February 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
And I am dreading the hair washing sink with a passion. My hair fills the whole bowl and it's a real pain to get it washed and conditioned without the sink overflowing. Plus the tangles were a nightmare last time, salon sinks are not very long hair friendly :(

I'm surprised there isn't a business opportunity for special 'long hair' washing systems. An extra large bowl, or maybe a vertical surface with a neck-rest and a container at the bottom so the hair hung right down it rather than had to fit into a bowl...they'd work for short hair too so the salon wouldn't lose out by having them but would make longer haired clients happy...

But then again if there was a market somebody would have spotted it by now!

GRU
February 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a business opportunity for special 'long hair' washing systems. An extra large bowl, or maybe a vertical surface with a neck-rest and a container at the bottom so the hair hung right down it rather than had to fit into a bowl...they'd work for short hair too so the salon wouldn't lose out by having them but would make longer haired clients happy...

But then again if there was a market somebody would have spotted it by now!

I know that lots of people with neck/back/shoulder problems have issues with the salon bowls, too.... an adjustable-height system where you could stand and just tip your head back would be awesome!

leslissocool
February 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
:drama: also watching this thread, and stealing Utrabella's hair secrets!

As I mentioned before, I spotted your hair when I was just lurking around and not a member. I read your thread when you just headed back from the salon. Your hair literally made me want to join! If I could get hair half as beautiful as yours, I'm set!

That said, I like you with the second picture better. Although I have to be honest, I think you could probably pull off anything! And I LOOOVE your brown hair now! It's so sexy!

jeanniet
February 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm dying to know how it turned out! Pictures, please! :)

Shermie Girl
February 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Well...

:drama:

mysro
February 10th, 2011, 10:32 PM
ultrabella i really like the color of your hair ^^

UltraBella
February 11th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Ugh !!!!!!!

Don't panic, my frustration is not with my hair. My hair is good, my evening went really haywire though, which is the reason for the lack of pictures updating you.

The good news : My hair color is awesome !!!!!!!!! I love it :) I think I can transition back to my natural color much more easily now. It is a combination of the brown that I posted in the last pic plus some dark ash blonde highlights that are very close to my natural color and a few subtle lighter blonde highlights.
I chickened out on the big cut. I trimmed about two inches off and added more layers, if I still feel I want to go shorter then I will cut it again. I am going to make myself wait atleast a month though.

The bad news : My stylist was running late, not her fault, and started my hair about 40 minutes later than scheduled. Luckily I had plenty of stuff to do to keep myself busy since it's my salon ! So I left late, got home late and then discovered someone had crashed their pickup into our yard and demolished our mailbox !!!!!!! One of those big freestanding mailboxes with a large solid wood stand cemented into the ground. :mad: They left the pieces scattered in our yard, left a phone number written on a napkin on our front porch and drove away. So when I got home, instead of taking pics of my hair and uploading them, I had to call this mystery number and discuss our mailbox with the father of the teenage boy who did it. Sigh, I wasn't even packed yet and we had a three hour drive tonight because my daughter is competing in the state swimming championships tomorrow. I am typing this from my iPad in the hotel room. So, no pics :( My night just didn't cooperate. But I will post some Saturday when we get home. And atleast the boy DID leave the napkin with his phone number, he could have just driven off.
Oh, and one issue with my hair that needs to be fixed......... The lightest highlights were bleached and then toned, and toning is done on wet hair so my head was still in the hair washing sink. And since my hair is so thick she must have missed some of the highlights on the underneath near my neck. When I put my hair in a bun there where some very light highlights screaming "HELLO" and those are going to have to be toned. They are just too obvious. The rest blend better. So, minor issue and an easy fix. Whew :)

If you have read through this whole thing you are very patient. Thank you !

fluffybunny
February 11th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Sounds gorgeous-- I'm looking forward to the new pictures.

milagro
February 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Waiting for pics and good luck to your daughter! :waving:

Aurantia
February 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Ugh, sorry to hear about the mailbox debacle -- you said it: at least the teenager left a number!

Glad to hear you're (mostly) pleased with color... Anxiously awaiting the pictures. :drama:

Melisande
February 11th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Not only your hair is beautiful! I'll be watching this thread, too ;-)

spitfire511
February 11th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Good luck to the kiddo and like you said - at least the kid left a number - even though it doesn't lessen the frustration much! Can't wait to see pics and hear how DD did!

ericthegreat
February 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Oh wow I'm sorry about your mailbox and your front yard Ultrabella. I hope you get everything straightened out with the boy and his father and you all work out how to pay for the damages.
Its perfectly understandable that you have other things on your mind besides posting about your new cut/color, you have other more pressing things to work on right now. I'm sure your new look is just wonderful. Best of luck to your daughter on her swim competition!!

jeanniet
February 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Well, I can wait for pics. The color sounds lovely, and I'm so glad you're happy with it. Sorry about your mailbox. At least he was responsible and did the right thing, but it's still a pain to deal with. Best of luck to your daughter in her swim competition! :)

strwbrry dakri
February 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Off topic - So, since you can't upload any pictures yet....

Can you give any pointers on using the Caruso? After seeing your lovely locks, I bought one. And cannot seem to get the hang of using it. I steam the curler for about 5 seconds, leave my hair up for 30+ minutes, and it still comes out so damp that the curl won't hold. Any ideas?

And I hope your swimmer takes the gold :)

Anywhere
February 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Also waiting for pics, it sounds lovely. :D

I'm glad the kid took responsibility and left his number. Most people I know my age would just drive off in fear of being in big trouble.

AgnesONutter
February 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Can't wait to see pictures!

I'm also thinking about cutting my hair back from tailbone to around waist, of the very simple reason that I like wearing my hair down but not at tailbone length.

Feng-Shui
February 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I like the brown color very much on you.

The color looks very naturally. :flower:

For me it would be a dream on your magnificent hair to see a daily mid thigh length or knee length.:pray:

But will be you even with shorter hair further a very beautiful woman.

A beautiful face can disfigure so easily nothing.;)

The main thing is you is happy with your hair.

I will also examine this Thread for new Pictures from your hair. :)

lindaton
February 11th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I am glad you chose not to cut more off. It is beautiful both ways of course but you can always cut more later. I am thinking of getting the Caruso also but dont know if it would work since my hair is down to my knees.

Linda

UltraBella
February 11th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Off topic - So, since you can't upload any pictures yet....

Can you give any pointers on using the Caruso? After seeing your lovely locks, I bought one. And cannot seem to get the hang of using it. I steam the curler for about 5 seconds, leave my hair up for 30+ minutes, and it still comes out so damp that the curl won't hold. Any ideas?

And I hope your swimmer takes the gold :)

Hmmmm, it's still damp after 30 minutes ? Are you making sure your hair is 100% dry before using the Caruso ? Maybe you are over-steaming the rollers ? My hair isn't damp even if I take them out ten minutes later, but i usually leave them in atleast 20 minutes. Sometimes longer.

I am glad you chose not to cut more off. It is beautiful both ways of course but you can always cut more later. I am thinking of getting the Caruso also but dont know if it would work since my hair is down to my knees.

Linda

You could certainly use this on your hair but I would suggest using the largest rollers and sectioning your hair in smaller pieces since you have so much length to wrap. I would wrap the fastest way, which is to hold the roller about half way down your length and wrap the length around the roller first. Roller is stationary, length is being wrapped around it. When you get to your ends, you then start rolling the entire roller up to your scalp. Goodness, there must be an easier way to explain that !

Demetrue
February 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM
:drama::pizza::alcoholic::cookie::knit:
waiting for pics - have a cookie

strwbrry dakri
February 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
How did the little mermaid do?

Waiting for pics......

UltraBella
February 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
OKAY !!!!!! Home from the trip, pics are transfered to the computer and I am ready to post them.
I think I will start a new thread since this one has been confusing to a few people. Lots of delays, etc...
I will entitle it " My New Hair ! Finally ! ".