PDA

View Full Version : brushing?

brixxgirl16
June 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I've heard that brushing breaks hair (the less, the better), but I've also heard that brushing= increased growth. What works for you?

Are ball-tipped bristles bad for hair? Boar-bristle brushes don't seem to get the tangles out.

Snack
June 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not positive on this one, but I think the Boar bristle is supposed to be used for smoothing your hair after getting out tangles with a comb.
I've heard that the ball ended brushes are bad for your hair, but I have to admit to using them anyway.

dukkelisa
June 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I finger comb for tangles, and use a boars bristle right before washing my hair or putting up...but only enough to basically smooth it and it's not a complete brushing. I like the feel of the brush but feel that the longer my hair gets, the less I want to have too much of anything in it. Just about anything can break hair, I can't spend too much time worrying about everything that might damage my hair. I protect it by wearing it up most of the time and that works for me.

julya
June 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have a few brushes that seem pretty gentle on my hair, they are plastic with no balls on the tips. The brand of one of them is Bass.

hurricane_gia
June 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have a wooden bristle brush that I actually stopped using about a year ago.

I had read that bushes break hair, but I don't know for sure if mine was doing that. I just stopped using it because I wanted to see if I could survive using only a comb. So, when we went to the mountains cabin for our annual family retreat, I left the hairbrush at home. The retreat went well and when I came back I just continued to not use the brush. The longer I use the hair-care tips I learned at LHC, the less tangles I have, so I barely miss the brush. I might even go fingers-only.

I don't know why a brush should break hair more than a comb, unless it is that a brush grabs so much hair at one time that you don't have the option of stopping and hunting down a specific tangle. You know how it is when only two hairs are tangled with each other? When I'm combing, I find those two hairs and separate them. But with a brush, I wouldn't notice and those two hairs would get broken or ripped out. Assembly-line sloppiness.

As for a BBB, you're supposed to comb out the tangles first and then use the BBB to distribute your scalp sebum all over the rest of the hair. In Theory. In practice, I found that a BBB just aggravated my ends.

insideitall
June 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I bought a boar bristle brush a few years ago. I didn't care for it at all. I suppose it worked fine for smoothing, but it made me feel like I was just creating knots and hiding them (my hair knots without me even moving). I felt ocd with it or something.

I use the ball brushes where the metal bristles are anchored to the squishy part. I wish they made the metal bristles rounded at the ends, then they wouldn't need the balls at all. Not only do I use a brush, I brush on wet hair ::gasp:: as combs create way more tangles than they fix. Maybe it's due to having hard water or something, I dunno. And if for some reason I don't use enough conditioner, or let the water rinse too much out, I can barely get a brush through, let alone a comb. And FORGET using a comb on dry hair..

To be fair, I just started CWCing since I have dry ends. I noticed a different the first time. And now I can get a comb through the length. I don't condition my scalp hair (it'd be limp and greasy) so no comb there still. But, as the comb now works just like the brush.. I'm still not switching. :cool:

Totally unrelated, but anyone ever notice how creepy some of those smilies are?

spidermom
June 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
There are little grooves where ball meets bristle in those ball-tipped brushes. Those little grooves can definitely grab and rip out hair. I was able to pull all the little balls off of my paddle brush; now it works very well with no snagging.

To use my boar's bristle brush, I've always had to put my hand against my hair (so that my hair was sandwiched between brush and hand) to feel that the brush penetrated all the way through it. I loved brushing my hair; it felt so good!

However, I don't brush my hair very often anymore. I've had trouble with my ends splitting all to pieces, so I decided to cut down/eliminate brushing about 4 months ago. I'd already given up just about everything else that I knew was damaging. I've had 2 trims since then, and my ends look/feel really good right now. I think no-brushing may be a good routine for my hair type.

havana86
June 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have thin hair, and high forehead, so I try to avoid brushing the front of my head, as I feel the hair I loose by brushing, isn't worth the possible increased hair growth later... :)

Nevermore
June 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I use a bbb daily and I love it. In my case, it makes my hair silky, spreads sebum and helps me get my updos sleek. I do detangle with my standard comb beforehand though and unless your brush happens to have bristles from a boar with steel hair or your hair isn't thick at all, that's a necessity.

I believe that most of the brushes one can buy in the average irl store are bad for hair, between the vented brushes made of plastic with tons of sharp edges, the cushion kind that always seems to rip hair out and the ball tipped ones, you're probably going to get breakage and bad static if you use them regularly. That said, some people use and love them or use ones bought online that are the same type of thing, only better quality.

Just my $0.02

Moiraine
June 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I like the feel of hard bristles on my scalp so I have a cheap drugstore brush right now. The secret is to completely clear your hair, divide into four and brush your hair slowly right thru to the ends. This might not work for fine haired ppl but have wirery- textured hair and as long as it is completely cleared I don't have a problem.

I am breaking a LHC rule here but I like to brush the shed hairs out. I find my hair doesn't look like it sheds much because everyday shed hairs are brushed out everyday. I tried using comb only but when I finally went back to the brush, it seemed like I had a massive shed. All the daily hairs mounted up and it was very scary when I looked at the brush bristles!:eek:

squiggyflop
June 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
i use a wooden bristle brush everyday and if my hair is greasy i use a BBB to smooth it back.. i find i break more hair with combs.. im just not careful enough with a comb.. it doesnt detangle as quickly and its harder for me to feel when something is snagged.. i know that sounds like the opposite of most people but i break and lose more hair with combs.. even my new seamfree combs.. i like my new horn combs for scratching my my scalp.. but i have to detangle with a brush first..

i cant get all my tangles out with my fingers.. because if i miss just one little tangle it will turn into a dreadlock like matt by nighfall.. if i dont get it at nightfall ill wake up with a bigger matted knot.. by this point its impossible to get out and it has to be cut out.. i envy people whos hair can just be finger combed.. my hair is too tangly..

Sceleste
June 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Brushing with a plastic brush definitely breaks my hair and BBB can snag hairs if I don't use it gently enough.

Before I started taking care of my hair I used a plastic, ball tipped brush all the time. It made my ends break off. After brushing there were more broken pieces of hair on the floor than shed hairs. I didn't think much of it back then, just thought my hair was a bit dry.

I have used a wide tooth comb for detangling for a long time now. It works brilliantly but takes some time.

A few days ago I had washed my hair and let it dry. I was in a hurry so I grabbed a plastic brush and started brushing and detangling. I seriously thought that my hair could handle it now that it's in better shape. Well, it didn't. There were short bits of hair all over the bathroom floor.

I think it's mostly because my old hair brush is everything but hair friendly. I'm too lazy to look for a good brush though, I'll just stick with combing.

vidgrl007
June 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I brush every night b4 going to bed.

flapjack
June 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I have a couple really narrow toothed plastic combs that I use. I just make sure the teeth are smooth and there aren't any seams or snags anywhere. A BBB does nothing for my hair, it doesn't distribute sebum, the only thing it does is actually make my hair static-filled, which it NEVER is, normally. I hate those brushes, to be honest. I don't even know why they work so poorly for me, they just do.

frizzinator
June 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
The reason you have heard that brushing increases hair growth is because scalp stimulation increases hair growth. Scalp massage with your fingers does at least as good a job of stimulating the scalp as brushing. I've heard that you should massage even if you brush.

EvaSimone
June 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I use a denman brush and I have a wooden brush both of them don't have balls because I think that they snag and rip hair.

One thing I always make sure to do is brush from the bottom up that way I don't knot my hair up too badly. Brushing from the top down is asking for disaster!

brixxgirl16
July 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
EvaSimone and Frizzinator- I have been trying to reduce damage both by finger-combing and bottom-up brushing, so we'll see...

Flapjack- I don't really like BBB's either, seems like they don't get the tangles out.

Thanks to all for your input!

bex487
July 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I went to a Sally Beauty Supply about a month ago and got three things: a big, plastic comb, a large boar bristle brush, and a small BBB. After I shower, I detangle my hair completely with the wide comb. Once my hair is dry, I use the large BBB to smooth (and I just like the feeling). In the morning, I use the small BBB to style my hair-it can be used to brush hair into an updo, to tease the roots (eeek), etc. I'm really happy with my new routine! All three items, together, cost about $13.

brightonwoman
July 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm going on three years with only combs...I used to get terrible split ends and I have definitely seen improvement there. I also have much smoother hair--less frizz. and that's saying something because I've got curly hair and frizz used to be my life story! I stopped using de-frizzers and it's STILL less frizzy than it used to be when I brushed.
So I'm heartily anti-brush...I comb out tangles with a large comb (the kind that's good for wet hair). I have a small men's comb I use for smoothing, and i have one that's a middle size which I use for most styling--gathering into ponytail/bun etc.

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I use Denman every once in a while (in shower with conditioner after detangling with my wide tooth shower comb) for reasons that have nothing to do with hair and everything to do with scalp.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=178058&postcount=287) is what my hair thinks of being brushed.

lady_hero
July 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I like using a BBB. It gives my hair some body and fluff. I use a horn comb when it's wet and also to comb out tangles then I use my BBB.

Golden21
July 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I use a wide toothed comb as much as I can, but I sometimes like the feel of the paddle brush. How exactly do you all massage your scalp? I know you don't use your finger nails, but is there any more guidlines, or just whatever you like?

Ohio Sky
July 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
It seems like some fine or thin hairs like brushing more because it has the ability to give more body than combing.

I've never heard snapping as some people describe when using a brush, nor have I ever noticed the ball-tipped brushes grabbing my hair. I'm not really sure why I don't usually brush. :lol: Just better to be safe than sorry, I guess... lol.

I suppose on some days I'm wavy enough to fit into the category of people who really should avoid brushes, also.

I like my BBB for scalp brushing, but brushing the length with it = poof.

janaana
July 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I suppose the idea of brushing giving an increased growth must come from the idea that it stimulates the scalp's blood circulation bringing more nutrients to the growth cells in the hair follicles. Perhaps a scalp massage would be a better way of achieving this without risking damaging the ends of the hair.

Personally, I do like to brush my hair, after loosening any tangles a little with my fingers, because combs seem to snag in the tangles and tighten them whereas my brush seems to ease them apart but I do this as gently as possible and over the bath so I can see if any short broken pieces come out. Generally, I don't get broken hairs dropping out when I brush, as long as I do it at least once every other day and keep my hair tied up so that it doesn't get very tangled.

CopperHead
July 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I use a cheap plastic paddle brush and use it in the morning and at night. My hair is so incredibly thick that a comb just won't go through it. I love the way it feels on my scalp too. I wear my hair up in a bun and I can't get it smooth with a comb. My hair has always grown quickly, but I don't know if it is because of the brushing, or just genetics. ;)

thankyousir74
July 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
There are little grooves where ball meets bristle in those ball-tipped brushes. Those little grooves can definitely grab and rip out hair. I was able to pull all the little balls off of my paddle brush; now it works very well with no snagging.

Wow this is some good info, thanks spidermom. I stopped using my regular comb (normal plastic, popped out of a mold comb) because I saw some build up on it (oh my!). But that was when I was experimenting with baking soda and ACV, I'm not shore how my build-up is going nowadays (a lot less since I started COing).

But since I started fearing my plastic comb I instead started using a balltipped plastic brush (very gently) when wet. I knew brushing was bad whilst hair is wet but I thought, nah, its not like I'm using a BBB or anything. But then I clicked this thread and thought "no way... darn it, and that helped get rid of tangles so well." Finger combing always left me a bit unsatisfied (life long habits I guess), but maybe I'll try removing the little bally tips and make a beanie baby with them :panda:

thankyousir74
July 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I like my BBB for scalp brushing, but brushing the length with it = poof.

Same here I only brush the length with it right before I braid it to go to sleep. I get something resembling helmet head when i use my BBB

:blueeek:

podo
July 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences static with a BBB. I've been studying Nanny Pauline's hair care methods and kinda like the idea of using a BBB and cheesecloth to distribute oil evenly, shine, and remove fuzz, so I went out and bought a BBB yesterday. So far, so good.

Bone combs are the only ones I care for, and they're just not as....satisfying as a brush. Something about how all the tines move over your scalp. Anyone remember those metal head massagers that look like giant spiders? That's what brushes feel like. :)

aprilmay
July 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have to brush my hair 2-3 times a day. In the morning and before bed for sure and sometimes more if I am feeling tangly. I can't stand having my hair feel messy. There are definitely brushes that will destroy your hair so be careful regarding which instruments you choose.

StillAHulaGirl
July 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Oh my goodness, I love those spidey-head-massager-things! It gives me shivers just thinking about it!

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I put my hair in a ponytail and brush my scalp only with a BBB(only on a wash day), hoping to induce more hair growth. My length defintely hates a BBB.

Magicknthenight
July 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I now only comb my hair. I stopped brushing a while back and a wide comb is alot better for me. I used a brush the other day and then i remembered how it hurt when i tried to get a tangle out. I have 2 BBB but i dont usially use them much. They make my scalp feel..idk plastered down..Natural oils maybe? and the ends kinda fluffy. I only really do it when i havent washed my hair in a while or before i get in the shower times. But its really not great for me. Maybe i haven't found the right one but im happy with my comb. The BBB doesnt really go through my hair and does seem to give me tangles. I dont use a brush anymore. It pulls out alot of un-nessicary hair. And i could always stimulate my scalp by a simple massage :D

danacc
July 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
For detangling, I finger-comb dry hair daily. If it's right after a wash (~twice a week), I'll follow the finger-combing with a wide-toothed comb to make sure all the tangles are gone. Once in a blue moon I'll use my BBB to smooth the hair in an up-do. I never use the BBB to detangle, only to smooth.

I moved from brush only to comb first, then brush to finger-comb then comb, and now finger-comb only unless my hair was recently washed then air-dried. With this progression, I also started wearing my hair up or braided all of the time. I have a lot less tangles and a lot less mechanical damage now.

jenna
July 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
for detangling: i finger-comb and i also have a wooden detangling comb from the body shop.

for smoothing/brushing: just a regular bbb brush.

Altocumulus
July 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM
For me, brushing = frizzball, so comb only here! I use a gigantic super-wide toothed comb from Hairsense.

Stagecoach
July 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Some people's hair seems to love brushing so don't think it's bad for everyone.

These two threads will hold lots of advice!

Brush or Comb? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=248)

What is your favorite hair brush? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7471&highlight=brush)

goldenwaves
July 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
A BBB gets the tangles out for me, but I have to work at it :P

sexyjacksparrow
July 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I stopped using brushes ages ago, but then recently started using a Tangle Teezer one (plastic bristles, no tips). Certainly seems to hurts less detangled with this rather than my comb.

Kerry xx

Indigo Girl
July 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
The only brush I'll use is my Bass wood bristle brush. It's very gentle on my hair.

I also have a Bass wood wide-tooth comb that works great, though I don't use that as much. I'm starting to think that as gentle as my brush is, it might be a good idea to switch to a comb more often though, because I still have a lot of splits.

I bought both the brush and the comb at Whole Foods.

Teacherbear
July 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I swear by my Denman brush! I can use it on wet or dry hair! It feels GREAT on my scalp.

artistwife
July 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I use a Mason Pearson brush. Yes, they are pricey." Mine is an 8" flat paddle/oval, bbb, with small plastic 'prongs' half up the heighth of the boar bristles. I start at the ends and work 'up'
I always wet the brush when starting so there is no fly away [this is suggested on the box it comes in] I rarely have tangles anymore since using the brush. To me, it has been worth the $. For me, no other brush has ever worked for me like this one; 'I'll take it to the grave with me' if you know what I mean. These brushes are made in England. It is the brush used back in the 1890's for all those beautiful long haired 'do's'.......no, I don't sell this brush; I just highly recommend it.