PDA

View Full Version : Random Question (aimed more towards curly hair)

KellyGormley
January 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Has anyone tried ethnic hair care or growth products on their curly hair? I've heard a lot of comparisons between curly and ethnic hair so I was curious if anyone had tried it. If you have how did it go?

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Some ethnic products have petroleum in them, so avoid those. I hear its a pain to wash out.

Otherwise I can't offer much help, sorry.

virgo75
January 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have.
Unfortunately, most of them are greasy instead of moisturizing.

I don't care about petrolatum, mineral oil, or cones in hair products if my hair likes the product. But so far, my hair hasn't liked most of the products I've tried.

The only ones that worked out well were some of the conditioners - namely cholesterol conditioners. That's all I can think of.

GRU
January 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I've had trouble finding anything that doesn't have cones, petrolatum, or mineral oil (which they also call Paraffinum Liquidum so you don't recognize it!). I find that "ethnic" hair care products are much more likely to have petrolatum or mineral oil than any other genre.

With that being said, many of us like using Africa's Best Herbal Oil (typically found on the bottom shelf of the ethnic hair care aisle at Wal-Mart). I actually have a bottle of it sitting here on my desk as I type this! :lol:

Bene
January 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mineral oil. Too heavy for my hair, and it's a bitch to wash out. The use of mineral oils has kept me out of the ethnic hair care aisle.

proo
January 18th, 2011, 06:34 AM
What is in Africa's Best Herbal Oil?

GRU
January 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
What is in Africa's Best Herbal Oil?

I don't have my bottle handy, but here's the info from Walmart's website (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Africa-s-Best-Ultimate-Herbal-Oil-8-fl-oz/10451303):

Ingredients

Soy Bean Oil, Walnut Seed Oil, Kiwi Fruit Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Oil And Calendula Extract And Yarrow Extract And Cucumber Extract And Carrageenan Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Ginseng Extract And Sage Extract And Comfrey Extract And Aloe Extract, Fragrance

The fragrance is a bit cloying, IMO. I might experiment with adding some essential oils to adjust that a bit. But for only two bucks out of pocket, I'm willing to put up with a slightly less than desirable smell!

skaempfer
January 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I don't have my bottle handy, but here's the info from Walmart's website (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Africa-s-Best-Ultimate-Herbal-Oil-8-fl-oz/10451303):

The fragrance is a bit cloying, IMO. I might experiment with adding some essential oils to adjust that a bit. But for only two bucks out of pocket, I'm willing to put up with a slightly less than desirable smell!

You really should consider going into the export biz, GRU :D

I tried a couple of things off the 'ethnic' shelf last time I was in the states. I found the added perfumes too heavy for me in the ones I tried. Cantu Shea Butter is the only one I remember the name of, and in addition to being too heavily scented, I had the impression it just sat on my hair rather than soaking in. May have been the cones, as my hair hates those.

My advice, like others have said is read the ingredient list. If the ingredients look promising, why not?

GRU
January 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM
You really should consider going into the export biz, GRU :D

GRU Import/Export and Distributing, LTD, at your service! :eyebrows: