PDA

View Full Version : Article on hair nutrients incl Gelatine

ChloeDharma
January 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I found this article....yes i know, yet another one. It mentions a few specific nutrients for hair growth. Among the suggestions was gelatine, this part really interested me though

In controlled tests volunteers, supplementing their diets with protein in the form of 14g of gelatin daily, found it increased the thickness of individual hair strands by as much as 45 per cent in only two months

This is taken from this article Vitamins for hair growth (http://www.princetonhair.com/new8.htm)

I'm just wondering how you get 14g of gelatine in the diet. In jellies i think only a little bit is used and i assume you'd need alot of daily jelly to get that much gelatine.

Anyway, i'd love to hear peoples thoughts/experiences with it. I must admit increasing the strand thickness by 45% does sound almost too good to be true and is contrary to what we usually believe is possible with a supplement/food.

Greenhousegirl
January 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
hmmmm... I would have to see someone try this and tell me it works. It just doesn't sound plausible.

ChloeDharma
January 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I have a memory of a member here raving about gelatine in her diet a while back. I just can't remember who it was now....but yes, it would be nice to get some first hand input from someone who has tried it.

Diamondbell
January 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I remember that thread - I immediately went and bought gelatine and made jelly, mixed with orange juice. Thanks for reminding, I'll make jellies now! ;)

littlenvy
January 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I took it.
Actually bought gelatine capsules. They were not expensive at all so I figured I will give it a try.
I only lasted 2 weeks on them. Started to smell bad. As in my sweat was extra smelly.
After that I stopped. Couldn't take the smell.
But you can try Knox gelatine, which is the one you add to food and cooking.
Maybe that won't be too bad.

Crazycatlady
January 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I took it.
Actually bought gelatine capsules. They were not expensive at all so I figured I will give it a try.
I only lasted 2 weeks on them. Started to smell bad. As in my sweat was extra smelly.
After that I stopped. Couldn't take the smell.
But you can try Knox gelatine, which is the one you add to food and cooking.
Maybe that won't be too bad.
I remember my mom taking gelatin capsules in the 70's for her finger nails. Don't remember if it worked. But I believe Knox makes the capsules as well as the powder you use to cook things. I bought the powder packets over the holidays to make Turkish Delight for the kids...it's like a thick jello candy.

I'm tempted to try the capsules though. But I'll be cautious about the smell. :(

Fairlight63
January 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I take Puritan's Pride Gelatin 10 grain cap. I take the rec. dose of 8 a day. I have been taking them for a long time, I have not noticed any change in my hair at all in thickness or anything.

But, I keep taking them because I have found that they help me in arthritis pains that I would get in my hips & knees. If I quit taking them the pain comes back so I thought that they must be helping. I feel that they are better to take for pain than the Aleeve that I used to have to take all the time.

But as for the hair - I don't see it.

virgo75
January 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I would love for my individual strands of hair to thicken up.

I guess you would have to take a supplement for that? I just looked at the nutritional facts for Jello and there's only 1-2 grams of protein per serving. So you'd have to eat 7-14 servings of Jello? :confused:

Thanks for sharing your experience Fairlight. I wonder if there's a difference between how supplements work vs. food sources?

bunzfan
January 18th, 2011, 08:59 AM
What about eating the Jelly blocks my sister did that in the 1970's and said her nails grow like mad, i have just brought some myself funnily enough so i will let you know how it goes.

Babyfine
January 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I take GNC hair, skin and nails vitamins(alternate with a multivitamin)
among other things they include:
3000mcg biotin
hydrolyzed gelatin 100 mg
horsetail 3 mg.
I haven't noticed much more thickness in my ultra fine strands-but then again I don't take them every day. hmmmmm.

maybe the copious amounts of coffee I consume in the morning negates all those good things.

ChloeDharma
January 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
After i posted this last night i did a search for gelatine and it turns out on another thread i posted a link to exactly the same article on a different site ages ago....lol how dumb am i!

We don't get the knox gelatine here so i had a look for what i could find in sainsbury's today. There is a Dr Urtker gelatine in individual sachets, 6 in a box and 70g per box. I don't know yet if it's powder or leaf form but i'll start it tomorrow mixing it into my drink i put the pau d'arco in....fingers crossed.

The smell thing is off putting, i'm really hoping i don't get that side effect!

omnivore
January 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Gelatin might be helping my hair, but as a previous poster said, I have noticed more that it is helping my joints to not be painful. I make a smoothie with a prenatal vitamin melted in a bit of cranberry juice. To that, I add a small handful of frozen peaches, 4-6 spoonsful of yogurt, and one envelope of Knox Gelatine. In the Winter, I add two Vitamin D tablets and an envelope of Emer-Gen-C.

Originally, I started taking gelatin for my hair because I had heard good things about increased thickness. What I found was that when I stopped making the smoothie as above every day, my knees hurt, my shoulder hurt, my back hurt, and I experienced a massive shed. Never have noticed an increase in the thickness of individual strands. Now that I think about it, my pits smell a bit stronger than usual since I started back on it...interesting.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I think you could eat bone broths and it would have the same effect.
Here is an article on how to make your own bone broths/gelatin.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/stocks/p/stockcomponents.htm