PDA

View Full Version : Silver Hair

mintyhot
January 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
So, I want to dye my hair silver but I naturally have very dark brown pigment. Is there any way I can dye my hair without bleaching, stripping, frying, or ruining my hair. Any ideas would be great!
By the waysies- I have tanned skin and dark eyebrows, would silver hair look strange...

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
you'd probably only get a dark gray or black color if you wanted to avoid lightening your hair, sorry. :(

luluj
January 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Perhaps this http://hubpages.com/hub/Grey-Hair-Dye may help a bit. ;)

Organic
January 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I went Saturday and my hair dresser used some newer chemical that she said was not bleach. I will try to remember the name of it. She pulled my hair a few strands at a time through a cap and put the chemical on. I sat under a dryer for 30 minutes. Did this twice and put a toner on it.She put a deep penetrating oil on it and gave me some to use at home. My hair was bra strap length and she cut a few inches off. I had 1/2 inch of white growth. My hair looks gray/silver/blond right now. Al mixed together. Better than skunk. She said in three months she would put another cap on and pull loops through to further mask the "line" from white hair to almost black dye around the top and crown where I part my hair. I am not unhappy with it. I have extremely thick hair. I did lose some in the chemical process. As she was combing it out, blond fuzz came out in the comb. The first stripping left my hair bright orange. The second stripping left it yellow and the third, more of a silver with platnum streaks. It took 7 hours.

It was either that or shave my head. I could not handle the skunk look. It was too stark. My husband loves my longer hair and could not handle the shaved look. I am 56 and have been dying my hair since I was 30. The beautician promised to leave the new growth untouched so no chemicals got on it. I am looking forward to being DYE FREE>

rose.grace
January 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I went Saturday and my hair dresser used some newer chemical that she said was not bleach. I will try to remember the name of it. She pulled my hair a few strands at a time through a cap and put the chemical on. I sat under a dryer for 30 minutes. Did this twice and put a toner on it.She put a deep penetrating oil on it and gave me some to use at home. My hair was bra strap length and she cut a few inches off. I had 1/2 inch of white growth. My hair looks gray/silver/blond right now. Al mixed together. Better than skunk. She said in three months she would put another cap on and pull loops through to further mask the "line" from white hair to almost black dye around the top and crown where I part my hair. I am not unhappy with it. I have extremely thick hair. I did lose some in the chemical process. As she was combing it out, blond fuzz came out in the comb. The first stripping left my hair bright orange. The second stripping left it yellow and the third, more of a silver with platnum streaks. It took 7 hours.

It was either that or shave my head. I could not handle the skunk look. It was too stark. My husband loves my longer hair and could not handle the shaved look. I am 56 and have been dying my hair since I was 30. The beautician promised to leave the new growth untouched so no chemicals got on it. I am looking forward to being DYE FREE>
That's a great way to do it... gradually. She sounds like a good hairdresser.

Yes, bleaching out to pale yellow and then putting in a platinum (which is base violet) toner, or fanciful rinse is the only way to get gray or silver hair except to get old. :)

mintyhot
January 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I do not want to lose any inches either if it can be avoided. I am not naturally going to be losing pigment for a very long time... Do you think there is any way to speed up the process or remove your pigment naturally- so no damage occurs and it is temporary if it does no look too snazzy

rusika1
January 18th, 2011, 07:06 PM
You want to go from dark brown to silver, without damaging your hair, (and without waiting 30 years ;)) and you'd like it to be temporary? You need a wig.

ETA: You could also try powdering your hair like the French aristocracy, but a wig sounds much simpler.

mintyhot
January 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
rusika1, very true but I supposed asking might help :)
Do you think there is any other way besides bleach

Anje
January 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I recommend becoming President of the US. Seems to be the fastest way around to get hair to go silver. Failing that, grad school and becoming a parent seem to be reasonably effective.

ole gray mare
January 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I recommend becoming President of the US. Seems to be the fastest way around to get hair to go silver. Failing that, grad school and becoming a parent seem to be reasonably effective.

She's onto something here.

Becoming a single parent with a deadbeat baby daddy was the route I took. But then there were all those diapers to change...

ETA: Okay, I'm sorry. My answer was rather flip. I think you got some good advice above. And there was another member here (still is, as far as I know) who wanted to strip the dye out of her hair and go silver all at once. Her hair stylist did a similar process to the one mentioned above, but with all the hair. It looked really good.

So I think it is a two step process, bleach, then color with silver.

But no, as far as I know, there is no way to speed up the graying process other than a ginormous amount of stress and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.