PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? before I do this...

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm going to try the coconut oil on my length (tried it on my ends a few days ago.) but I'm wondering:

Should me hair be damp first, or left dry?
How much total used for my whole length? (See siggy)
When should I wash it out, today, tomorrow?

CarpeDM
January 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I only use coconut oil on my dry hair so it can be absorbed better. What I like to do is leave it on for a while. For example, when I go to the gym I put it on before I leave home and slick my hair into a single braid, then I wash it out later after my work out in the shower. I also like to put it on before bedtime and wash it out in the morning. I only put it on when I am not going anywhere important because it makes my hair look greasy. I usually put about a half dollar size on from crown to ends, so for you hair I'm sure you will need more. Hope that helps :)

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I only use coconut oil on my dry hair so it can be absorbed better. What I like to do is leave it on for a while. For example, when I go to the gym I put it on before I leave home and slick my hair into a single braid, then I wash it out later after my work out in the shower. I also like to put it on before bedtime and wash it out in the morning. I only put it on when I am not going anywhere important because it makes my hair look greasy. I usually put about a half dollar size on from crown to ends, so for you hair I'm sure you will need more. Hope that helps :)

Thanks, I just wasn't sure what was best. BTW, what have you got there? A 9 and maybe a .38?

Tia2010
January 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I like my hair to be slightly damp . It seems to soak in better for me. I have used it on dry hair but if I use to much I can get "crunchy feeling" ends.

If I'm not doing a deep oiling I only use a tiny bit , just enough to make my palm's shiny with the oil , then run it through my hair . To much will make me look oily .

As for washing I use such a little amount I can leave it in for days without a problem , but if I do a deep oiling that really saturates my hair I will wash it out the next day.

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I like it on both damp and dry hair. I use maybe 4 fingernails full and see if I need more from there.

Wash it out whenever you want. if you're doing a heavy coconut oiling I'd probably use a lot more and put it on damp hair, then wash it out later.

CarpeDM
January 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Ha ha, I have a Walther PPS 40 and a Taurus 45 Judge.

tinti
January 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
It depends if you wanna do a leave-in sora thing or a deep treatment. For leave-in I just scrape a little bit from my tub (just so that it makes my hands shiny) and run it down my lenght. For deep threatments I take a bit more, like 2-3 pea sizes.

Chamy
January 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I like it mostly on damp hair, but i use it on both. I scrape two fingernails(pinky) worth of the oil for my almost waistlength hair, but that might be too much for someone else. Try a little first and add more if you need to. Good luck! :)

Alaia
January 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I use it on both. And I rarely wash it out unless I've done a really heavy oiling.

Doesn't take much to oil my TB hair either. Coconut oil is not a scary thing :lol:

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I use it on both. And I rarely wash it out unless I've done a really heavy oiling.

Doesn't take much to oil my TB hair either. Coconut oil is not a scary thing :lol:

It's scary to me! LOL I'm always scared when I do something new to my hair. I've heard oiling can cause crunchy hair and dryness etc so I'm always like "Oh no, what if this screws my hair up?!?!"

I'm back BTW and what I ended up doing was unbraiding, wetting my hands and running it down the length then oiling my hands (My oil is in the fridge so I had it in hot water and just poured a drop or two in my palms)and running it down the length. Back in braids. We'll see tomorrow if I need to wash or if I can go to Wednesday!

Hepzibahbuck
January 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Having just joined the forums, like you I really wanted to see the effect of using coconut oil. I couldn't get hold of coconut oil, so I bought jojoba oil instead, which is supposed to be the closest thing natural hair oils (and it has virtually no smell). I put about 3 drops into my palms and rubbed together. Then I smoothed this over my dry hair and brushed through with natural bristle brush. My hair was instantly smoother, softer and glossy without being greasy.

This was yesterday and it still feels great. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

angelfell
January 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
For my hair type, the effect is the same for me whether my hair is dry or wet, but it seems easier to distribute the oil when it's wet (not sopping or soaked, just a bit more than damp). I run my fingers through my hair around my scalp with the oil, and then for the length and ends, I literally dip the entire length/tips in the bowl/cup that I have the oil in. Soak it so it's dripping. Seriously ^-^. I do not find it hard to wash out despite how much I use, it comes out with conditioner for me. Your hair type isn't too far off from mine, so this may work for you. Also, they sell these nifty caps at WalMart if you have one near by.. or at least mine does.. called a Conditioning Cap. it's a reflective silver like foil, it heats your head up by trapping the heat in.

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think I used Jojoba a long time ago and I can't remember what the outcome was. I love the coconut oil smell though. Coconut is my alltime favorite smell, so that is a huge bonus for me and a huge incentive to get over my fear and try it! I also read that coconut oil is tested and proven to help hair so that helps me be brave too.

Kherome
January 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
When I condition in the shower or SMT or whatnot I wear my purple rubber shower cap (super sexy LOL). If I am SMTing (and therefore leaving it on for at least 1 hour, I put the purple cap on, wrap my head in a hot towel from the dryer and try to nap or watch a show etc. I've never seen the heat wrap before.
I didn't oil my scalp at all this time. Maybe before my next CWC.

For my hair type, the effect is the same for me whether my hair is dry or wet, but it seems easier to distribute the oil when it's wet (not sopping or soaked, just a bit more than damp). I run my fingers through my hair around my scalp with the oil, and then for the length and ends, I literally dip the entire length/tips in the bowl/cup that I have the oil in. Soak it so it's dripping. Seriously ^-^. I do not find it hard to wash out despite how much I use, it comes out with conditioner for me. Your hair type isn't too far off from mine, so this may work for you. Also, they sell these nifty caps at WalMart if you have one near by.. or at least mine does.. called a Conditioning Cap. it's a reflective silver like foil, it heats your head up by trapping the heat in.