PDA

View Full Version : Need help tweaking a routine...

rymorg2
June 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hey guys....I've been using all natural products (or working my way there) and have bought some AO Honeysuckle rose conditioner and LOVE it. It doesn't work for CO though, it's too rich. My routine recently has been CO'ing most days, shampooing with a low poo (soap or non sulfate based) twice a week. I can't use a soap based each day or even each time I poo, my hair seems to like it once a week or so. My scalp, however, wants cleansed SOMEHOW each day or it gets itchy and flaky. Not since I've been CO'ing again though, but I don't have a natural condish that will work. I'm not adverse to CO, or shampooing daily with a non sulfate or soap based shampoo if I could figure it all out. Today I used some very very diluted dr. bronners as a shampoo and I didn't do an ACV rinse since I did that yesterday, and I have a little residue left over from the soap. Not so bad I hate it, but not great either.

So I thought I'd ask everyone who uses natural haircare what they do and see if maybe I can figure this out and get my hair to like me again. LOL! TIA!

Lamb
June 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
So, if I understand correctly, you want to figure out how to cleanse your scalp every day without getting the shampoo on your length, right?
I would suggest getting a spray bottle (a foam bottle may not work with sulfate-free shampoo), dilute the shampoo with distilled water in it, and when you wash (perhaps CWC style would be best), just spray the mixture straight on your roots and massage it into your scalp with your fingers. That way the amount that would get on your length would be minimal, and your scalp would be happy.
I'm not sure soap-based stuff is good for this, especially if you have hard water. It is harsher on the hair than you'd think in my experience.

I hope others will chime in with their ideas and you can find something that works for you!:cheese:

rymorg2
June 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
So, if I understand correctly, you want to figure out how to cleanse your scalp every day without getting the shampoo on your length, right?
I would suggest getting a spray bottle (a foam bottle may not work with sulfate-free shampoo), dilute the shampoo with distilled water in it, and when you wash (perhaps CWC style would be best), just spray the mixture straight on your roots and massage it into your scalp with your fingers. That way the amount that would get on your length would be minimal, and your scalp would be happy.
I'm not sure soap-based stuff is good for this, especially if you have hard water. It is harsher on the hair than you'd think in my experience.

I hope others will chime in with their ideas and you can find something that works for you!:cheese:

Nope that's not exactly what I meant. I've actually done CWC before.....I'm wanting to find a good combination of non sulfate poos/COs that my hair would like. My main question is how often to vinegar rinse if I'm using a soap based shampoo. Thanks though Lamb, it's good to see you! :D

missy60
June 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Im really not sure about this but I did some research and from what I got you have to use them after every wash. The soap based product is alkaline and you need to adjust the ph with the vinegar rinse.

rymorg2
June 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Im really not sure about this but I did some research and from what I got you have to use them after every wash. The soap based product is alkaline and you need to adjust the ph with the vinegar rinse.

That's what I thought......thanks Missy......

Lamb
June 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Uh, OK, my reading skills went off for a moment apparently. :o
A word of warning about the vinegar rinse: when I used it every day with the soap, it sure did a good job at fighting the alkaline soap, but it was pretty drying for my hair. Just something to be aware of, acid is not known for its gentleness!
I don't think you need ACV rinses with anything but the soap-based shampoo - I *think* sulphate-free shampoos (like the Aubrey Org.) can be used without it.

rymorg2
June 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Uh, OK, my reading skills went off for a moment apparently. :o
A word of warning about the vinegar rinse: when I used it every day with the soap, it sure did a good job at fighting the alkaline soap, but it was pretty drying for my hair. Just something to be aware of, acid is not known for its gentleness!
I don't think you need ACV rinses with anything but the soap-based shampoo - I *think* sulphate-free shampoos (like the Aubrey Org.) can be used without it.

Aubrey organics are soap based. The second ingredient in the one I'm most interested in trying is coconut oil-corn oil soap. My past experience with vinegar says the same, so I plan on doing it once a week or so. So far so good there! I asked routines on another board, and someone said they do CWC with the AO conditioner and shampoo daily, without vinegar daily (but do vinegar once a week) and it works without residue, so that is probably what I'll try to do. Thanks for your help Lamb, how have you been? :D

Lamb
June 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Aubrey organics are soap based. The second ingredient in the one I'm most interested in trying is coconut oil-corn oil soap. My past experience with vinegar says the same, so I plan on doing it once a week or so. So far so good there! I asked routines on another board, and someone said they do CWC with the AO conditioner and shampoo daily, without vinegar daily (but do vinegar once a week) and it works without residue, so that is probably what I'll try to do. Thanks for your help Lamb, how have you been? :D

Oh I'm fine... so good to see you posting again, rymorg! :flowers:

Thanks for enlightening me about the soap-ingredient in Aubrey Organics. That certainly explains why it didn't work for me. I'm annoyed, though, because the shampoo bar I had was great for my hair, but the hard water I have plus the ACV were just way too much. I have since then spent a small fortune on conditioner to remedy the situation, I'm afraid my hair is just way too dry for shampoo bars and organic shampoos - yeah, it is a contradiction. :rolleyes:

missy60
June 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ok that explains why AO didnt work for me either I didnt think it was soap based. I also had the worst allergic reaction to the TT one which is ironic because its suppose to be good for your scalp.

rymorg2
June 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Oh I'm fine... so good to see you posting again, rymorg! :flowers:

Thanks for enlightening me about the soap-ingredient in Aubrey Organics. That certainly explains why it didn't work for me. I'm annoyed, though, because the shampoo bar I had was great for my hair, but the hard water I have plus the ACV were just way too much. I have since then spent a small fortune on conditioner to remedy the situation, I'm afraid my hair is just way too dry for shampoo bars and organic shampoos - yeah, it is a contradiction. :rolleyes:

Last time I used anything soap based it was a shampoo bar and we didn't have the filter we do now. I was also doing it fairly often and I don't think my hair likes that. At least not with soap LOL. When I did a vinegar rinse yesterday though my hair LOVED it so I think I can stick to once a week as long as I top it with conditioner and leave it in a few minutes then rinse it all out. LOL on the contradiction....we'll see with me too....:flowers:

rymorg2
June 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Ok that explains why AO didnt work for me either I didnt think it was soap based. I also had the worst allergic reaction to the TT one which is ironic because its suppose to be good for your scalp.

OOH I can totally relate to allergic reactions! I have them all the time but mostly to chemical products, which is why I'm searching for natural ones now LOL. :D Did you get all hivey?

missy60
June 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Yes and the itch didnt go away for a couple weeks, and I have never had that bad a reaction before. I have had other reactions though and once when I had a Dr's appointment so I showed him. He said it was a reaction to chemicals in the shampoo and recommended I get Neutrogena and use for a while. I wish I was an ingredient guru like some people they know exactly which ingredients their scalp likes and which ones it doesnt.

I know it was the TT in that shampoo because I have used it before without the reaction, but I dont have a clue what else it could of been.

alys
June 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I dont know if anyone's suggested this to you or not, but I use and love Avalon Organics shampoos. They do not have SLS's of any type, but at the same time don't leave that soapy residue that many soap-based shampoos leave. I've never tried thier condiditioner though, I'm stuck on Aubrey for that :)

missy60
June 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ok I really made a mistake it was Avalon TT shampoo that gave me the allergic reaction. I havent used any of the AO shampoo. I have just used AOHR conditioner and I love it, because it moisturizes without weighing my hair down.