PDA

View Full Version : Blonde semi/demi-permanents?

xladolcevitax
January 17th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hi,
Im just wondering if anyone has experience dying over very light highlighted blonde hair using a level 8 neutral semi permanent?

Normally I would go to sallys to get something professional but unfortunately I don't have access to those kind of products where I live so I was thinking about using loreal castings in 801 Satin blonde or garnier herbashine in 800 natural blonde. These are the only products I can find here that are not permanent.

I'm just concerned about the colour turning out bad (too brassy/dull/dark) or my hair getting damaged.

I just want to tone down my hightlights to a more natural colour while I grow them out so they blend in with my medium blonde roots.

If anyone has any recommendations for professional demi permanents i could try and buy them online.

rose.grace
January 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Demi-permanent hair is the devil. You're much better off with permanent color, or a toner (or a rinse if your hair is light blonde and you don't mind having to put the rinse in every time you shampoo--the toners are permanent and won't wash out) IMO.

The only good hair color in my opinion is Wella Color Charm Liquid and good old plain 20 volume developer. You should be able to order it online from Sally's. If you can't get that online, then I have nothing I would recommend except maybe Koolaid, very very diluted in a grape color. If you can get L'Oreal... that's sort of iffy, but not as bad as others. If you can get Roux Fanciful Rinse, it's the least damaging and it'll tone your hair. To tone down brassiness, use one platinum plus or white minx if it's really light and if it's light but not pale yellow, then shy violet would be good.

Demi-permanent is more damaging than any other type. My prediction is that you'll lose hair in mass quantities, it'll stick to some of your hair but not all, and wash out by the gallon down the drain and fade to some really weird color that you won't like. It's your decision but I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't warn you about it. I know most professional stylists swear by it and defend it to the death, but my experience is that it's not a good thing.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

xladolcevitax
January 18th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Hi,
Thank you so much for your excellent advice. I have decided I am not going to risk using a demi permanent or even a permanent hair colour its just not worth it. I have had some pretty bad experiences with demi permanent colours in the past (hair going way too dark/grey/red-toned) so this should have been enough to make me stay away from the evil dyes forever!

I have been using temporary violet and champaigne mousse toners which have worked great but I was looking to darken it a bit more than these ones do so I will try the roux fancifull rinses, I have always wanted to try them out.

I wanted a longer lasting colour than i get from the temp toners but I think that the inconvenience of having to apply them or an after-shampoo rinse is much better than totally damaging/destroying my hair and risking a horrible colour!

Thanks again you probably saved my hair because i was soooo close to going out and buying some demi dye :eek:

Lianna
January 18th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I don't think you'll have problem with brassiness with those shades. When my hair is "just bleached" it's brassy. I also use Wella permanent color, when I used semi permanent, well, it faded in a week and half. If that's what you want, then fine. After the color treatment, the bleached hair felt nicer and smoother, not worse. Nothing damaged my hair.

I use a level 7 but looks like 8 in real life because my hair lightens very fast. It's brown on most photos, though, LOL. I'd also like to add that I didn't bleach my whole head and I wash everyday.

ETA: I used L'oreal Casting for the semi-permanent in 834, was experimenting. :D