PDA

View Full Version : hair recipes!

lynnspin
January 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Share your favorite hair recipes. Oil treatments, natural shampoos, face masques, etc!

lynnspin
January 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
This is what I mix for a body scrub... it feels so good and smells delicious!

brown sugar
jojoba oil or safflower oil (or any oil of your choice!)
vanilla extract

It's simple and luxurious!

I would like to try a hot oil treatment on my hair...does anyone have a great recipe??!

Viechen
January 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I dont really have a hot oil treatment but I love to add a bit of coconut oil and she butter into my shampoo and then not use conditioner... Usually I make up a batch at the beginning of the week which lasts me the whole week.
I use 1 teaspoon shea butter, 1 tablespoon coconut oil and about 5 tablespoons of shampoo... I use whatever shampoo I have leftovers of so if I dont like the resulting smell I like to add a few drops of essential oils.
I find this mixture makes my hair feel AMAZING :) NO more frizzies, dries faster and holds the little amount of wave for much longer. I just need to make sure that I rinse it out well or I get a slight residue. Hope this helps anyone :p

Nusia82
January 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I used to mix 1 cup od condotionar, 2-3 tbs henna and few drops of ylang ylang essential oils (becouse i love the way it smells)... i love that mix it make my hair so soft and make them a little color

Nusia82
January 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
osp. i mean 1 cup of conditioner :D

lynnspin
January 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
osp. i mean 1 cup of conditioner :D

Does the henna dye your hair a bit? I already have naturally red hair, not sure I want to add color to it!

lynnspin
January 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I dont really have a hot oil treatment but I love to add a bit of coconut oil and she butter into my shampoo and then not use conditioner... Usually I make up a batch at the beginning of the week which lasts me the whole week.
I use 1 teaspoon shea butter, 1 tablespoon coconut oil and about 5 tablespoons of shampoo... I use whatever shampoo I have leftovers of so if I dont like the resulting smell I like to add a few drops of essential oils.
I find this mixture makes my hair feel AMAZING :) NO more frizzies, dries faster and holds the little amount of wave for much longer. I just need to make sure that I rinse it out well or I get a slight residue. Hope this helps anyone :p

Sounds like something I will have to try!! What kind of shea butter do you use?

AspenSong
January 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I don't have a recipe persay, but every week or two, I do a warm oil treatment....I use a bit of coconut oil and grapeseed or olive oil, a generous dollop of my best conditioner, and a squirt of honey...I get it all warm, slather my hair, wrap it all up in saran wrap and then put a winter hat over it and sit around the house for a few hours. :)

Viechen
January 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Sounds like something I will have to try!! What kind of shea butter do you use?

:) I use unrefined organic Shea butter that I ordered from Mountain Rose Herbs. I also ordered Mango butter from them but so far have not found much use for it yet because it is very hard and difficult to melt. Do you have any suggestions?

Cleopatra18
January 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
on of the best Hot oil treatments---> equal amounts of coconut,olive and castor oil.
Dont forget to apply to the scalp too :)

angelfell
January 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I like my mixture of coconut oil, a bit of olive oil, almond butter, and honey. I heat it up, apply, let sit for an hour, and rinse.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Anje recently started a thread about Snowmoon's Moisture Treatment (SMT). I have used it and it is WONDERFUL! Happy reading, it's a goody :blossom:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&referrerid=33798

milagro
January 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
1. Olive or sunflower seed oil + honey. Since joining LHC I add banana and a tad of vinegar to the mix, works even better :disco:
2. Before I started to dye my grays I sometimes used chamomile tea rinse. It gives soft shine and enhances golden - not brassy - shade in light hair. Soothes scalp as well. But doesn't work well on dyed hair :(

FullMoonTrim
January 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
When my hair was feeling really fried a few months ago I did a banana mask. It helped my hair so much. I blended some banana in the blender with water, a little mayo and some olive oil. I covered my hair in plastic and then put a hat on. It made my hair feel less dry and fragile.

I always make diluted apple cider vinegar rinses to use before I shampoo. I put a few tablespoons of vinegar in a cup with hot water. I pour that on my hair/scalp and leave it for a few minutes. Then I wash and condition. It makes my hair soft and shiny.