PDA

View Full Version : How many hairs do you usually lose in the shower?

musicallberrii
January 17th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Sorry if theres another thread about this! I have been losing about 10 or so hairs in the shower (thats all I notice atleast) and it feels like its a lot to me.. in the past when my hair was shorter, I didn't notice losing any hairs. I'm not sure if I'm losing too many or if I am just noticing it more because my hair is longer. If I leave my hair up in a style for multiple days, I also get more hairs when I wash.. around 20 or so. Is this a normal amount of hairs to lose while washing?

Finoriel
January 17th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I never noticed shedding any hair when I had short hair. Granted I did not pay any attention at all to shedding... oh blissful ignorance of the youth :laugh:. But I also think that shorter hairs disappeared down the drain much easier than a 50" hair does for example :wink:

When I look at my shed hair now it looks like a huge and worrying amount, but when I actually count them it's usually not more than 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening when combing out my hair. So gained length really makes a difference in how much it appears to be.

Shedding in the shower depends on how long the last wash was ago. If it was just some days it's maybe 20, if it was a week it's already twice as much. Washing even later like after two weeks it's more an "holy cow, who shaved a tribble in my shower?"-amount, haven't counted that one yet. Eek!

The general amount of shed hair is fluctuating depending on stress and time of the year. I had a pretty stressful autumn and in general autumn seems to be a popular shedding season. The infamous fall-fall :p. So this + stress made me shed heaps for a longer time period than usual, but now I'm back to normal shedding again.

So to me the amount you describe sounds like normal shedding. Average amount to shed / day was about 50 hairs if I remember that correctly.
Hope that helps :)

Vorvolaka
January 17th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I can lose anything between 10 and 100+, it just depends. 100+ is very infrequent but it does happen. I don't seem to lose any ponytail thickness so I don't worry about it.

sakuraemily
January 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
30 sometimes, 10 sometimes but never more than 50. I think ten is good. The normal is 80-100 apparently

kteachone
January 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Since I have curly hair, I can't detangle until shower, so I lose handfuls when I wash...probably 50 ish.

girlcat36
January 17th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I would be SO happy to only have 20. I lose between 30-75 on a regular basis. When mt thyroid medicine is off, I will lose between 100-300 until it is corrected, which can take months.
So my hair is thin. It's a struggle. :rolleyes:

Angeletti
January 17th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Not that many, I might see around five when in the shower and then when I comb afterwards maybe another five. Ten hairs is quite normal musicallberrii so it shouldn't be anything to worry about, having long hair does make it appear a lot worse as well because it seems like a huge ball of hair when only its a few strands.

RadiantNeedle
January 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
About 15-30 when I wash and rinse.... Then between 80-120 when I gently detangle : /

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
somewhere between 20 and 70, depending on if my hair has been up or down during the day and how well I fingercombed it beforehand.

Madora
January 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I shampoo once a month and lose about 8 to 12 strands shampooing/conditioning and another 5 or so when detangling after rinsing out the conditioner.

CarpeDM
January 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM
In the shower some days I lose a couple, other days about 10, it depends on what day it is. But most of my shedding happens after the shower when I have to run a comb through my hair and get out all the tangles, then it is shed city.

akuamoonmaui
January 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I lose about 20-30 typically, usually a bit more when I shampoo (about 2x a week).

musicallberrii
January 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I didn't have the chance to visit LHC the other night and just got around to checking this thread. I'm glad to hear I am losing a normal amount =) I think I just get paranoid because my hair is so fine and thin.

JuneBride
January 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Maybe 3 now that I CO :)
When I used shampoo...it was upwards of 20+ :(

CO WASHING IS A MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GlassWidow
January 18th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm with JuneBride...much less now that I do CO. I used to lose scads of it, but now it's maybe 10 when I wash and another 10 or so when I dry/style. I'm extra thankful for this benefit of CO because of the meds that I'm on. Luckily no extra hair loss yet, but I'm not going to do anything to hasten it, either.

misspriss
January 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Probably around 30-50 when I CO'd, 10-30 with SC.

Now I don't notice any hair loss in the shower, but it's short.

AspenSong
January 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have no idea, but it seems like a wad about the size of Cousin It. lol. Usually it seems I fingercomb/wide tooth comb out about 50+ hairs AFTER I wash. So I'm going to guess about 80+. =/

GRU
January 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
About enough to make tiny wigs for half a dozen Barbie dolls.... I would be overjoyed with just 10 hairs/shower!

Tia2010
January 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
On average about 10-15 while shampooing/conditioning and then a few more when I detangle. I always brush my hair at night and before I shower to avoid tangles , so I probably shed a lot of the loose ones during those times without really noticing.

joiekimochi
January 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
On average, 30-50, some days I just lose 10, on others I lose upwards of a 100.

ddiana1979
January 18th, 2011, 09:19 PM
How in the world do you count? Especially those of you with LONG hair. Mine intertwine & end up in the drain. It'd probably take me a good hour to separate & count each one. I know it's much less now with Movie Star Shampoo, but I'm going by "clump size" not actual threads of hair.

Fufu
January 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I don't notice the sink :x

However, I heard nothing about my hair choking the sink.

Juneii
January 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
about 30 or so if I have been keeping my hair up for the past few days. I don't see any loose hair when I bun/braid my hair. They all come out when I shower and after. It's not too bad, I have gotten over it. I used to freak out so much when I started noticing my hair everywhere, but when I sat down and counted them all, it's actually less than what I used to lose before I started growing out my hair and picking up good habits. It just seems more because my hair is much longer now.

rosieex3
January 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I'd say about maybe 50+ in the actual shower (I seem to pull our clumps of about 5 or 6 hairs very frequently, so I'll estimate 50+ hairs) and when I detangle after I shower, probably over 100. I feel like I've been losing so much hair recently on wash days. :/

milagro
January 19th, 2011, 12:27 AM
It depends but usually it's about 50. Can be twice that in shedding season (Autumn for me). I count from time to time :D freaky I know...
I don't comb a lot and my hair is wavy/curly so shed hairs come off mainly when I detangle in shower.

rose.grace
January 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM
How in the world do you count? Especially those of you with LONG hair. Mine intertwine & end up in the drain. It'd probably take me a good hour to separate & count each one. :agree: My thougts exactly! :lol:

Johanna
January 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I'm lucky if I lose 3 hairs when I'm in the shower. I have pretty easy hair to detangle, so I do it pre shower and do a quick detangle once I have conditioner in (I cwc). The hair I lose in my brush is minimal as well. I guess I'm not much of a shedder, add that to already thick hair and I'm carrying around a lot of hair :P

Which is probably why I have zero chance of getting even half of my hair in a single pretty clip.

thetiniestspark
January 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I think I probably lose 50ish per shower. I feel like I have been losing a ton more hair since I switched my BCP (to Seasonique), not sure if that's really what it is! I have thick hair still, so I'm not all that concerned.

heidihug
January 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I detangle and brush thoroughly right before I shower/wash my hair, and I know I lose about 20-30 hairs while doing that. But, in the shower, rarely more than one hair, maybe two.