PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Nail

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how nail growth and hair growth are connected???

milagro
January 17th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Intuitively it seems that there must be some correlation but in my case nails win by far :) My hair grows with moderate speed, about 1-1,5 cm a month depending on season. And my nails grow like hell, if I don't bother with filing them they can easily reach 0,5 cm (white part) in 10 days or so. I wish it were the other way around.

Mountaingrrl
January 17th, 2011, 01:13 AM
They're made of the same protein, keratin.

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 01:15 AM
My nails always break but for the past few weeks they seem to be longer than usual...This usually happens to me around May but I don't know why. I'm hoping it's a sign that my hair is speeding up growth as well.

Igor
January 17th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Like Mountaingrrl wrote, they’re made of the same basic material. They need the same vitamins and minerals, they benefit from a lot of the same treatment and nutrition.

But they don’t always grow at the same thickness or pace. Just like some people experience some patches of their scalp growing thicker or body hair growing faster or seasonal growth.

Personally I always had a good head of hair but incredibly thin, peeling, splitting nails until I started taking supplements :shrug:

Venefica
January 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I have very thick, very strong hair, and very thin, see through nails which bend in odd angels if I let them grow to any length. Both my hair and my nails grow very fast though.

Freki
January 17th, 2011, 03:37 AM
My hair and nails both grow like wildfire, and they are both prone to getting brittle. So hopefully, once I find something that helps my nails, it'll mean good things for my hair as well!

Finoriel
January 17th, 2011, 06:29 AM
There have been some interesting polls about this topic
hair and nails: parallels (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41234)
Hair/Nail Growth Correlation (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43423)
for example. I'm not sure if there is a consensus about any correlations, it's a very complex topic and interpretation isn't too easy I guess.

I have average hair growth with about 6"/year and I have fast growing nails which used to be strong and flexible. Never broke and could almost be used as screw drivers :p.
Though I noticed that they got more fragile and flexible in the last year, but still grow relatively fast. Hair growth didn't change though.
Most people in my family have very weak nails. I still remember my grandma complaining about her nails breaking all the time and asking me for help when she needed somebody to open the plastic foil around something or to remove sticky tape etc.

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
How fast are nails supposed to grow per month???

Igor
January 17th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I heard 1 mm pr week on average!!! So 4 mm per month!!!
But as you should know from hair, the “supposed to” is not true for everyone!!!

Roseate
January 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM

I think that varies person-to-person, just like hair. Mine grow about 1/8" a month, maybe 3/16; I had some nail damage recently so I was able to see "roots" on my nails as the undamaged part grew in, and I was able to measure.

Juneii
January 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I wish! My nails grow really fast and they are quite strong. If only my hair grew like that, I would reach the floor in no time.

jenwexler
February 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My nails have been growing ridiculously fast/strong lately...does this mean my hair is going to grow like that too?